Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 04 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 12:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2010 Washington DC Cherry Blossom Time

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 04, 2010 12:59 |  #1

Its that time of the year again, and I am planning on traveling to Washington to shoot the Cherry Blossoms and the Festival April 9 - 13.

Is anyone else going? Any ideas or tips from the past visitors. Not so much on a photographic view, but from a practical view. ie If we go early, before the Metro is running, where can we park... are their any hidden gems, great places to avoid the crowds etc.

Obviously it will vary, but what is the weather like in early April? Does it even approach warm?

Of course photo tips are always appreciated.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 04, 2010 18:17 |  #2

I just saw an article that quoted the NPS horticulturalist as saying the trees are soemewhat behind schedule. They're usually at Stage 1 (external link) by now, but he said they're not greening yet. It can be anywhere between a raw 50s to a sunny 70s during the festival period. I've met and shot with POTNers in any of that. We'll call this the official 2010 Cherry Blossom thread, since you've got the first one for this year. We have a few from previous years back at least to 2006 in here with some of our shots.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

FocalPrincess
Cream of the Crop
8,223 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 08, 2010 21:49 |  #3

Subscribing...

Blog (external link) | Galleries (external link)http://www.dbimpressio​ns.com (external link) "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the
gift is nothing without work." ~ Emile Zola

DigitalTimmay
124 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 08, 2010 22:08 |  #4

I live in DC area and yes they are behind schedule due to massive amounts of snow we got.
And sorry, but no way I'm giving out my parking secrets :)

boufa
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 08, 2010 23:13 |  #5

DigitalTimmay wrote in post #9756888 (external link)
I live in DC area and yes they are behind schedule due to massive amounts of snow we got.
And sorry, but no way I'm giving out my parking secrets :)

I understand.. just tell me this, if I find a legal street spot before sunrise (6 am ish) on a Saturday or Sunday, is it likely that I could leave my car there all day? I have parked on the street many times to shoot at night, even week nights, but I have never tried it on a saturday morning.

It (at least for me) is good to hear that they are a little late. I won't make it down to see anything until the morning of the 10th.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 08, 2010 23:19 |  #6

boufa wrote in post #9757296 (external link)
I understand.. just tell me this, if I find a legal street spot before sunrise (6 am ish) on a Saturday or Sunday, is it likely that I could leave my car there all day? I have parked on the street many times to shoot at night, even week nights, but I have never tried it on a saturday morning.

depends on where you aer parking. On sunday it should be fine but on a saturday there are many areas that have the same parking restrictions as on a weekday.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 09, 2010 08:37 |  #7

You'll probably be best off parking on Haines Point if you head in early. It's part of the park grounds and is the primary parking for blossom-watchers and festival-goers who don't take Metro in.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Mar 09, 2010 15:22 |  #8

Jon wrote in post #9759211 (external link)
You'll probably be best off parking on Haines Point if you head in early. It's part of the park grounds and is the primary parking for blossom-watchers and festival-goers who don't take Metro in.

Any idea what your schedule is going to be? I'm guessing Z and the Princess are up to shoot one day, but I seriously doubt Tracy will be playing this year.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

monokrome
Goldmember
1,185 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 09, 2010 16:51 |  #9

boufa wrote in post #9757296 (external link)

It (at least for me) is good to hear that they are a little late. I won't make it down to see anything until the morning of the 10th.

Depending on which weekend, many of the parking spots are closed off for the parade on mini marathon they run. I've run into this twice.

Question for anybody, hasn't DC started to treat Sat and Sun the same as a weekday? I thought I heard this somewhere because of their budget shortage.

S5IS

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 09, 2010 17:21 |  #10

Woolburr wrote in post #9761950 (external link)
Any idea what your schedule is going to be? I'm guessing Z and the Princess are up to shoot one day, but I seriously doubt Tracy will be playing this year.

No idea. I'm downtown during the week anyhow so I just run over from the office whenever it happens (more than once, if such be it - last year Maureen came east so I went out with her, Suzyview, JimAskew and another guy as well as with you all and again when the Gagtastics came down.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

FocalPrincess
Cream of the Crop
8,223 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 12, 2010 16:56 |  #11

Wooly Dan, I'll do my best to make whenever happen, lol! Wednesdays are best here right now from a scheduling standpoint though...we'll see if the blossoms/weather decide that's the best, haha!

Blog (external link) | Galleries (external link)http://www.dbimpressio​ns.com (external link) "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the
gift is nothing without work." ~ Emile Zola

rcfury
916 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 13, 2010 00:40 |  #12

Im also seeing what happens too.. I havn't been to DC in AGES!!! Think I need to go back up there for the cherry blossoms. Prob take the metro because I REFUSE to drive there...

~Nathan
Gear: Canon 1Dm2, 10D, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8L EF-50 1.4, and the Canon 550EX flash
-----
♦ Check out my FLICKR  (external link) (external link)

DigitalTimmay
124 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 15, 2010 09:55 |  #13

monokrome wrote in post #9762559 (external link)
Question for anybody, hasn't DC started to treat Sat and Sun the same as a weekday? I thought I heard this somewhere because of their budget shortage.

YUP. Totally sucks

GoHokiesGo
783 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 16, 2010 12:49 |  #14

They have started changing their parking restrictions these past few months. I don't spend much time around the Mall and Tidal Basin in dc, but many of the meter areas I used to park at in other areas now require payment on saturday nights. Suffice to say, it makes it tougher to find street parking to spend the whole day in dc.

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 21, 2010 06:33 |  #15

http://www.nationalche​rryblossomfestival.org​/cms/index.php?id=404 (external link)

Looks like March 31-April 11. I'm game for the 9th! But I can be there on the 7th, too. Sat. is the parade and I can't make it. I have a math competition that day.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links

11,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
2010 Washington DC Cherry Blossom Time
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.