Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 04 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 16:56
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What size should a website show images?"
Smaller than 600x600 pixels
4.2%
600x600 pixels
12.5%
800x800 pixels
41.7%
Larger than 800x800 pixels
41.7%

24 voters, 24 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS

G&N website image size

TooManyHobbies
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 04, 2010 16:56 |  #1

RETHOUGHT THIS IN A POST BELOW

---------------
I'm asking this here because I want the G&N perspective that usually will post things in portrait instead of landscape and for other G&N views.

Please chose the size you think the website should display images....

I like 800x800 but a lot of people won't see the full image in portrait.

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 05, 2010 13:17 |  #2

Not a single poll vote?

~ Jeff

JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

milleker
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 23, 2010 12:32 |  #3

Not sure I completely understand the question. Plus it really depends on what the majority of people visiting your website have as their screen resolution. Any web stats program will easily show this broken down by percentage of visitors..

For web gallery work I stick with landscape, I just looked and mine are 960 wide x 520 high. It really depends on your website design. Yes, it only works with landscape images but that's the format I have locked myself into.

For proofs I use a program that will automatically thumb the image and when clients click on the image it will open in large size on the screen. I keep them to about 1000 pixels on the longest side so that even on smaller screens (1280x1024) a portrait oriented image can be seen with minimal scrolling.

Hope this helps.

---John Milleker Jr.--
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯​¯¯
Web Links: My Homepage (external link)
Photography Weblog (external link)Flickr (external link)Maryland POTN Meetup Thread (external link)Donate to POTN! (external link)http://www.johnmilleke​r.com/weblog (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 23, 2010 13:09 |  #4

I like photos as large as they can be and not have too much scrolling. For any kind of site, not just G&N. If they are too small I assume there are flaws that are being attempted to hide by keeping the images small. I mean just about anything looks good as a thumbnail. But if you have what it takes to show them full screen them by all means show them.

I am trying to hand build my site and it will have full screen images in the gallery.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

jimmywires
539 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 25, 2010 17:25 |  #5

i like large photos to view... not too big fullscreen maybe

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 30, 2010 08:46 |  #6

NEW THOUGHTS ON OLD QUESTION!

Ok, I'm rethinking this because the bug in my website software was finally resolved this week, and now I'm rebuilding my webiste I've had down for 2 YEARS!

A lot of people on here said go for the big images, but when I look at photographer's portfolio websites most seem to be small ~ 300-400 pixesl in height. I have standardized on 800x800 (800x533 or 533x800 or 800 x 800) crop with border space if cropping dictates something not a 2/3 aspect ratio. I'm thinking the 800 is just a touch too big for portrait images even with new high resolution screen sizes due to toolbars and such.

So, I think I'm going to stardardize on 720x720 (720x480 or 480x720 or 720x720) on my website, model mayhem, and facebook; except for multi-image collages for the following reasons:

- It will nicely fit on the screen in portrait
- My new HD phone has a 720x480 screen (Samsung Epic 4G!)
- It shows on 720p HD TVs without resize (new ones connect to internet or have cards slots for slideshows, etc.)
- Having a slightly smaller image does hide some things and allows for tighter crops on larger images. If I need to show editing or image quality I'll show the close in crop with the overall image.
- Smaller files and faster uploads and viewing

~ Jeff

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 30, 2010 19:10 |  #7

It sounds like you have thought it through. And it sounds like it will do fine for you.

Many go small for a few reasons. They do not know the resolution the viewer will have on thier monitor. There are some still useing old CRT monitors there an 800 pic will fill the screen. Another is load speed. A 1600px image looks wonderful...but also can take forever to load. Then if you have 15 - 20 images or more that size... talk about a slow site.

I still like big images on sites. I am in the middle of shrinking the images in the gallery on my site for load speed. Then having a link to a full screen gallery if they want to take a better look. Thoes who want to see more will live with the wait.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

cursedphotography
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 30, 2010 20:34 |  #8

In my opinion the bigger the better. However it depends on gallery layout and anything bigger then 1280 x 1020 (general desktop setting) is a waste. Smaller pics lose a lot of there impact and detail.
Another option... you could set up a couple of size choices under a thumbnail to let them choose their viewing size (usually done on wallpaper galleries). Depends on what options you want to let them have.

Canon 20 D, 100 - 300 mm EF, Canon 35 - 80 mm EF, Bower
Auto Focus SF0728C Flash with diffuser, and a few assorted
filters.

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 01, 2010 10:34 |  #9

My plan is to have...

thumbnails 120x120
resizes 720x720
full size ?x? but restricted with permissions

~ Jeff

2,410 views & 0 likes for this thread
G&N website image size
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.