Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Mar 2010 (Friday) 11:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photog has to cancel on Bride

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 05, 2010 11:05 |  #1

How do you handle it when you have to cancel a wedding that has been booked & payed for up front already. Because you have other issues and need to go out of town on that same wedding day weekend.?
I am giving four months notice that I need to cancel and return money to the bride so that she can get another photog.
I know Brides cancel on photog's all the time but now this is the other way around.

thanks
Joe

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
wardzach2007
379 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 05, 2010 11:06 |  #2

Did they already sign the contract too right?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,102 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 05, 2010 11:13 |  #3

Joe300 wrote in post #9734567 (external link)
How do you handle it when you have to cancel a wedding that has been booked & payed for up front already. Because you have other issues and need to go out of town on that same wedding day weekend.?
I am giving four months notice that I need to cancel and return money to the bride so that she can get another photog.
I know Brides cancel on photog's all the time but now this is the other way around.

thanks
Joe

Ideally, just as you would have backups for all your equipment, you should have a backup for yourself. In this circumstance, you had four month's warning, but that might not always the the case. What if you'd come down with a serious illness only a few days before the wedding?

If you have a couple of other equally good photographer friends who will back you up in such a pinch (and you them), that would be optimal. You would at least have references to give the bride.

In this case, you know what you have to do. It's best to handle it face-to-face or at worst by telephone, then follow up with a letter and the return of the fee. Your contract should also have a clause covering such situations.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 05, 2010 11:18 |  #4

wardzach2007 wrote in post #9734572 (external link)
Did they already sign the contract too right?

No it was all over the phone for now she is from out of town..

Joe

WL x1600 etc.

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 05, 2010 11:21 |  #5

RDKirk wrote in post #9734602 (external link)
Ideally, just as you would have backups for all your equipment, you should have a backup for yourself. In this circumstance, you had four month's warning, but that might not always the the case. What if you'd come down with a serious illness only a few days before the wedding?

If you have a couple of other equally good photographer friends who will back you up in such a pinch (and you them), that would be optimal. You would at least have references to give the bride.

In this case, you know what you have to do. It's best to handle it face-to-face or at worst by telephone, then follow up with a letter and the return of the fee. Your contract should also have a clause covering such situations.

yea, this weekend I am doing a wedding show here at our mall and will get info for her so that I can help out on both ends.. her's and mine.
Yes, I have shot wedding when I was sick too and couldnt back out of it..

Joe

WL x1600 etc.

RT ­ McAllister
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 05, 2010 12:56 |  #6

Joe300 wrote in post #9734567 (external link)
How do you handle it when you have to cancel a wedding that has been booked & payed for up front already.

You shoot it anyway. Or at the very least guarantee you'll find somebody just as good even if it costs you out of pocket. Anything less just doesn't sound right to me.

I'll reserve judgement but I can't imagine what could happen 4 months down the road that would cause me to go back on my commitment. Maybe if I was in the military and found out I was being deployed I suppose but then again, I wouldn't be shooting weddings.

Having no written agreement aside (how did you manage that anyway?), you still accepted the money so that's binding in my eyes.

Again, I'm reserving judgement because this is so odd there must be a good reason on your part.

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 05, 2010 13:08 |  #7

I'm also wondering how you can know so far in advance that you won't be able to shoot her wedding, maybe you got a gig that paid better? jk :)

I would definately find somebody else to shoot this wedding for the bride and next time sign a contract.

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 05, 2010 15:32 |  #8

I cannot come up with a reason that I would not be able to shoot a wedding that I would know about 4 months in advance.
Why can't you shoot?

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 05, 2010 15:33 |  #9

folks the wedding is being done by reference from a family member who knows me and I have been talking to the bride over emails about the wedding.. she just sent me a check yesterday. so that i guess could be binding contact to me.
I am in the process of finding another photog for the gig..
but dont I as a photographer to cancel the shoot if I have something going on out of state that weekend and need to attend it.
Why I am going out of town not for any other gig but family matters...
I talked to the bride and she is ok with it and both of us are looking for a photog now...

Joe

WL x1600 etc.

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 05, 2010 15:39 |  #10

If you haven't banked the cheque or given her a signed contract she's not booked. Just tell her "i'm sorry but i'm no longer available, here are some photographers who I know are available that weekend". Make sure you give her a few options for people comparable to you, price and quality wise.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 05, 2010 15:39 |  #11

Why wont you tell us what the family matter is

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 05, 2010 15:41 |  #12

zagiace wrote in post #9736248 (external link)
I cannot come up with a reason that I would not be able to shoot a wedding that I would know about 4 months in advance.
Why can't you shoot?

Well my son just found out that he made a traveling baseball team. I got his traveling games and times..it happens to be on that day he need to travel to Maryland for a three day weekend of games.

if it was a month away I would of shot the wedding and miss the games.
but this far in advance I feel it is justified to cancel now..

agree or disagree...

Tim, you are right but want to save face and not be the bad guy and let the bride down...

EmmaRose, its all about baseball that weekend.... I booked the wedding before I knew the dates and times of the game... seem like I bboked the wedding one week then my son found out about the team and games... the next week...

WL x1600 etc.

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 05, 2010 15:46 |  #13

Not sure what the content of the emails are or what area you are in as to whether accepting the job via email is binding but sounds like you have come to an agreement with her.
As previously mentioned before by other posters in this thread, it is a great idea to collaborate with other professionals in your area who are equally experienced to cover you in case of situations as these. There are 2 reasons I would call one on my lists.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 05, 2010 15:50 |  #14

Honestly that seems like a pretty weak reason to cancel on a bride. Unprofessional.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 05, 2010 15:53 |  #15

zagiace wrote in post #9736321 (external link)
Not sure what the content of the emails are or what area you are in as to whether accepting the job via email is binding but sounds like you have come to an agreement with her.
As previously mentioned before by other posters in this thread, it is a great idea to collaborate with other professionals in your area who are equally experienced to cover you in case of situations as these. There are 2 reasons I would call one on my lists.

Sent her three photog's web site in my area and email addresses too.
I am doing a wedding show this weekend at the local mall so I wll be shopping around as well..
now I hope she will get a good price package too...:rolleyes:
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

sponsored links

3,092 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photog has to cancel on Bride
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.