Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 06 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 11:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Landscapes...do you use a white balance tool?

beachbum2277
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 06, 2010 11:23 |  #1

When shooting your landscape shots, do you use a white balance tool like an ExpoDisc or an ExpoCap?

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.com (external link)

My Gear

sponsored links
beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 07, 2010 10:16 |  #2

Anyone...?

My Gear

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 07, 2010 18:41 |  #3

Um, ok. thanks.

My Gear

WillOPhotos
456 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 07, 2010 22:32 as a reply to  @ beachbum2277's post |  #4

Hi! I always shoot in RAW so you adjust white balance afterwards, makes things a lot easier :)

btw the Landscape section can be a bit slow hehe

Hassy H4D-40, Gitzo 3541XLS, RRS BH-55
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/willophotograph​y/ (external link)www.williamophuis.com/​blog << add blog for some reason it goes to my main site :) (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 07, 2010 23:09 |  #5

My answer is the same as Will's. You can use a custom WB but, I usually do it in post.

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 08, 2010 02:10 |  #6

I often find that the time of evening/morning that I do most of my shooting at has a WB that changes too rapidly for it to be worth the hassle to make custom WB. I normally shoot on a preset (sunny,cloudy etc) to get a ballpark figure and then adjust in my RAW processor.

X-T2 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

snatcher
150 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 08, 2010 13:59 as a reply to  @ sheawyatt's post |  #7

I am the same,adjust the WB in RAW if necessary when I get back home :) Have just started shooting in Raw instead of Jpeg and really pleased I made the effort to change over. Shoot in Jpeg and muck up the settings and you have lost that shot. With RAW so far I have found everything "recoverable" :rolleyes:

John

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy :mrgreen:
http://www.geordiepix.​co.uk (external link)

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 08, 2010 16:54 |  #8

I have a WhiBal card, but mostly I forget to use it. I shoot RAW, so it usually doesn't matter

Kevin

Gear List

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 08, 2010 21:05 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

blueM wrote in post #9754856 (external link)
I have a WhiBal card, but mostly I forget to use it. I shoot RAW, so it usually doesn't matter

Ha. Me too. I seem to use the card more when I do my videos. If it's early morning, I'm more apt to use it when photographing because I know the white balance is usually way off because of the extreme blues.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 09, 2010 07:57 |  #10

I would never use a WB card or Expodisc etc for landscapes.

Why? Sometimes the perfect WB isnt the correct WB! Just because you shoot it with "daylight" doesnt mean that the image wont look better with "cloudy".

Shoot RAW and adjust later. That way, you can adjust your image to look its best.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

IslandCrow
589 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 10, 2010 15:37 |  #11

The one time I tend to do this is when shooting snowscapes. I obviously want my white snow to be white. Like most other, I just shoot in RAW, though, and the snow becomes my white balance card. Even there, I'll often time go with a cooler white balance. For other shots, a truly white balanced photo is not always what I want, as our eyes don't always see the world perfectly white balanced.

sponsored links

2,300 views & 0 likes for this thread
Landscapes...do you use a white balance tool?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.