Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

can a lens affect exposure metering?

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 06, 2010 12:18 |  #1

can lens affect the camera's meter? or is it more likely that I've just gotten better at watching for the highlights?

I was looking though some pics I took with the 18-55 IS kit lens, and there seemed to be a general tendency to have blown out skies in many of my outdoor shots.

I now have the 15-85 and compared a number of the shots with that lens and in general, the sky and lighter objects seem less prone to being overexposed.

not complaining about the camera or lenses - just more kind of curious if that's a possibilty. I don't think I'm paying any more attention to the exposure than i did before - but then again, maybe it's become habitual. My thinking is that the meter is what it is, and it meters on the light that hits it - lenses should have no effect correct? i mean if light hits the sensor - light hits the sensor.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

440roadrunner
Goldmember
1,312 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 06, 2010 12:51 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

As a guy who plays with manual lenses, glass (for some reason) DOES AFFECT metering. My old Xt was much better at metering (uncoupled) manual lenses than my 40D, which is usually blown clear past compensation range.

As far as EF glass--there certainly could be a misalignment between lens (electronics) and the camera which would make the exposure stop--down unaccurate. The camera meters wide open, then stops the lens down just before shutter opens. so if something is electrically/ mechanically wrong in the lens that causes it to not stop down the correct amount, certainly it will affect exposure.

2-40D's, 30D, Xt, EOS-3, Elan7, ElanII 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-55IS 2.8, Sig 12-24 EX DG 4.5
Mamiya M645 1000S, 45mm 2.8, 80mm 1.9, 110mm 2.8 + 2x extender

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

766 views & 0 likes for this thread
can a lens affect exposure metering?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.