Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Mar 2010 (Sunday) 08:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need advice on how much $ to charge

JulieNick
233 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 07, 2010 08:21 |  #1

I have been asked by a manager of a lobster pound (lobster holding/selling facility) to come and take photos of the buildings, workers, lobsters etc. The owner of the pound is going to the Seafood Show in Boston and wants photos taken and put on dvd to give out at the show.
I have never charged before for my photos. I do own a non-photography business but find myself at a loss on what to charge for this.
Also, the images that I put on dvd do I watermark them? Use low res photos?
Advice please :)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/27834677@N06/ (external link)
Gear: Canon XTi, Sigma 17-70, Canon 5d classic, Promaster 7500 speed light.

sponsored links
JulieNick
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 07, 2010 14:15 |  #2

bump :)

pauld1946
179 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 07, 2010 14:33 as a reply to  @ JulieNick's post |  #3

Make sure you have a contract and that he can only use them for his single purpose or you can even charge more. Give him limited rights, but hold back the copyrights. How many images are you going to photo? Make sure you have releases from everyone. You might consider low res. Can't recommend a charge unless we know how many photos are going to be on the cd.

Paul Donihue,
www.PhotoExpressionsPl​ace.com (external link)
To Get What You Have Never Had, You Must Do What You Have Never Done!

JulieNick
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 07, 2010 17:53 |  #4

Oh he's upped the images. There were suppose to be 10-15. Now he wants more. He's not sure how much more. He said to take them and go from there on the amount. So, that leaves me stumped on a price. He also just called and said that the images are going to be used on a website as well.

zelseman
Goldmember
1,922 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 07, 2010 21:09 |  #5

Make sure you establish what you are going in to shoot before you get there and have it all in writing. Stay in communication with him until he decides on how many images he wants in total. Don't go in there with a "go from there" approach. You will work too much, take too many images, and not get paid enough.

Gear List
Website (external link)/Blog (external link)

JulieNick
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 07, 2010 21:55 |  #6

I have been trying to do that and he keeps adding to and changing and now wants me to design a website. I turned him down big time on that one. I have no idea on how to do that.
He said that he will take me around and tell me what he wants photos of. Mostly it's the equipment and lobster holding tanks. But I'm thinking that I probably will end up taking too many images. Maybe it will give a great first impression and get me more work?
I've googled contracts and took apart 3 to create my own. Something short and sweet but covers everybody's butt.

Thanks guys :)

spiralspirit
940 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 07, 2010 22:15 |  #7

I've read it here half a dozen times but the key to customer satisfaction seems to be under-promise and over-deliver. Sounds like this guy wants you to go take a couple hundred shots and you haven't given him a firm price, so in his mind he's thinking "oh he'll charge me $100 and I'll use the pictures for everything from the website to the menu to ads" and then he'll be upset when its either 1) less than a trillion pictures 2) more than $100 3) he can't use the images for anything he wants for all time.

canon 1dmk2* Canon XSi * Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX * Canon 50mm f/1.8 *

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 08, 2010 00:48 |  #8

You might consider charging him per image he wants to use. When i do something like this, I charge them them per image, and give them a perpetual usage license- It's just too hard to try and police a time limit for photos i think.

Just make sure if you do it this way to charge an appropriate fee, since it's really a "one and done" license. It's hard to advise, since we don't really know your experience level or your market.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

JulieNick
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 08, 2010 07:40 |  #9

spiralspirit wrote in post #9749531 (external link)
I've read it here half a dozen times but the key to customer satisfaction seems to be under-promise and over-deliver. Sounds like this guy wants you to go take a couple hundred shots and you haven't given him a firm price, so in his mind he's thinking "oh he'll charge me $100 and I'll use the pictures for everything from the website to the menu to ads" and then he'll be upset when its either 1) less than a trillion pictures 2) more than $100 3) he can't use the images for anything he wants for all time.

I do that with my engraving and embroidery business. It does work.
He really hasn't asked for a price he said to do him up a bill. I've done embroidery work for him before and he's changed things or added to and I charged him appropriately and he was fine with that. Since I've done work for him before I'm quite comfortable without charging him a retainer so to speak. He will pay the bill when I get the photos done.
I've explained to him that I will take different perspective shots of the same thing and what I feel is the best image he will get. He's ok with that.
I have in the contract that I retain copyright to the images and they are to be used for what is agreed upon, anything more than that they will have to pay me more.

PMCphotography wrote in post #9750296 (external link)
You might consider charging him per image he wants to use. When i do something like this, I charge them them per image, and give them a perpetual usage license- It's just too hard to try and police a time limit for photos i think.

Just make sure if you do it this way to charge an appropriate fee, since it's really a "one and done" license. It's hard to advise, since we don't really know your experience level or your market.

At first I thought about charging him by the job but since he's added more to it, I'm thinking charging by the image. I just don't know how much. If this was a portrait session, I'd have a better idea on price.
My experience level is pretty much non-existent :)
My main goal is to get into seniors. I have had a few that I practiced on for portfolio building but I haven't charged them. I'm not comfortable charging yet. I don't feel that my photography is to the point where I can charge and not rip people off. But, money is getting pretty tight and this is something different so I would really like to be compensated.

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 08, 2010 08:56 as a reply to  @ JulieNick's post |  #10

You could always look down at the bottom of the page under "Similar Threads" or use the search function and look at the thousands of other "how much to charge" threads that have been started. This very type of job has been covered numerous times.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

sponsored links

1,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need advice on how much $ to charge
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.