Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 07 Mar 2010 (Sunday) 14:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Raccoon during the day?

ftblplyr46
139 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 07, 2010 14:07 |  #1

This guy was walking around right across the street from our house. Guess he didnt get the memo it wasnt night time yet.:lol:
It doesnt look very sharp or anything to me, just seems soft. C&C is welcome.
Iso - 200
250mm
AV - 8.0
Tv - 1/160

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4414856420_046451e663_b.jpg

Canon Rebel Xt, 17-55mm, 55-250mm IS, 50mm 1.8 -- Ohio Google Calendar (external link) -- flickr (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​wernerdi (external link)

sponsored links
Boomsnapp
68 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 07, 2010 14:38 |  #2

If you see a raccoon out during the day theres a good chance its rabid. Be careful.

Canon EOS 30D 28-90mm F4-5.6 III :( EF-S 55-250 :)

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 07, 2010 16:34 |  #3

Yup, needs to be shot. Definately rabid. Also shot with a gun!!

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

Artillerist
281 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 07, 2010 17:19 |  #4

Scary.

G-1X Mark II
Do you know what it takes to be a photographer? It takes one finger, one eye, and two legs. – Henri Cartier-Bresson

katodog
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 07, 2010 17:21 |  #5

We had a coon living under the backyard neighbor shed. I got shots of it during the day sleeping on top of the shed. It didn't look to kind, that's for sure.

Hey Artillerist, you get lost or something?? You're in the wrong part of the internet.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

JC_Photo
109 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 07, 2010 17:27 |  #6

Boomsnapp wrote in post #9747002 (external link)
If you see a raccoon out during the day theres a good chance its rabid. Be careful.

Definately be very careful.

5D | 580 EX | 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS

ftblplyr46
THREAD ­ STARTER
139 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 07, 2010 19:22 |  #7

Neighbor's dog went right up to it, sniffed it, and the coon didnt do a thing. He came out callin for the dog and she went towards the house and the coon just followed him. Ill def keep a look out for him

Canon Rebel Xt, 17-55mm, 55-250mm IS, 50mm 1.8 -- Ohio Google Calendar (external link) -- flickr (external link)http://www.flickr.com/​wernerdi (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 08, 2010 08:11 |  #8

Coons are not likely to be rabid just because it's daytime . Not all night animals only come out at night . They prefer night but if disturbed a coon , skunk or other night varmits will move in daytime or if they are in a new area , or still hungry . Rabid animals are usually agressive towards pets and other animals if bothered and on the defense if humans get close to them but a Rabid animal of any kind will be stumbling in awkward directions and growling and foaming at the mouth most times . So just because you see an animal in the daytime doesn't mean it's rabid . I've seen alot of coons in the daytime in my younger days as a country boy . The only animal i feared was the skunk cause they are nasty to the smell :D :D !!

HOBO_sm
435 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 08, 2010 08:24 |  #9

Just because it was out during the day doesn't mean theres anything wrong with it. BUT since it didn't run away when the dog ran up to it I'd say there's a GOOD chance something is wrong with it. My guess would be more like Distemper than Rabies. I've coonhunted since I was 13 and I don't think I'vewr ever saw a coon with rabies,but I have saw a few with distemper. I might be wrong but I don't think they have rabies near as bad as the game commisions try to lead everyone to believe they do. I think they yell rabies alot so most people won't try to catch one and make it their pet.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 08, 2010 10:02 |  #10

HOBO_sm wrote in post #9751472 (external link)
I think they yell rabies alot so most people won't try to catch one and make it their pet.

I hope they don't either :lol: , they may have to get rabbies shots when the coon gets' throught with them :lol: !!

Onyxdragun
312 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 08, 2010 11:48 |  #11

The raccoon around here are always out during the day. As for being rabid, would you see them out and about passing it around, or would they be hiding in their burrows/dens etc?

My Blog: www.tyleringram.com (external link)
My Flickr Photostream (external link)
Follow Me on Twitter! (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 08, 2010 12:43 |  #12

Onyxdragun wrote in post #9752621 (external link)
The raccoon around here are always out during the day. As for being rabid, would you see them out and about passing it around, or would they be hiding in their burrows/dens etc?

Have you seen the old version of "Ole Yeller" the movie ?? Yeller gets rabbies and puts on a good act of how rabbies affects any animal that gets it . But eventually it kills them anyway . Most coons just sleep when they are tired then they are on the move . So depending how long they sleep and when they wake up effects when they might be out roustin about . If they are sleeping and you disturb them they will act accordingly depending how close you are to them . If your close enough to touch they might bite you , otherwise they will run like heck !!

BTW just FYI , if you see their mouths foaming and they charge you and are growling then you better run like heck yourself and call the authorities and report it as a rabid animal .

sponsored links

2,321 views & 0 likes for this thread
Raccoon during the day?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.