Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 08 Mar 2010 (Monday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II

this thread is locked
alfredomora
Cream of the Crop
8,548 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

May 27, 2011 00:18 |  #3526

Sandra0655 wrote in post #12486686 (external link)
Mine is due tomorrow by UPS. I called my local hub and got them to hold my package... So that I can pick up first thing in the morning--- rather than have to wait til after 4PM for delivery...

Good thinking. That's what I should have done. So here is the crazy thing guys. UPS delivered it to my house this morning but nobody was home to sign for it or so I thought. I was expecting delivery after 4pm.

I waited all evening, checked my tracking info, made several calls to UPS, who kept telling me it was on its way. Well, after one more check of status on the UPS site, I see an update that it had been delivered to my address and that my neighbor had signed for it. Are you kidding! Called up UPS to get their story and of course, they couldn't give me much more info other than to say it was delivered. At this point, I'm really upset and hung up. I walk over to my neighbor's house at around 10pm and kindly ask if they signed for a package for me. They said yes but had forgotten to tell me. Wow! I couldn't believe it. I took my long awaited package and checked the contents carefully at home. All appears to be in place so I'm so relieved this lens is finally in my hands. What a long day!

- Alfredo -
Sony a7RII | Voightlander 12 f5.6 | Sony 16-35 GM f2.8 | Zeiss Batis 18 f2.8 | Zeiss Loxia 21 f2.8 | FE 55 f1.8 | Zeiss Loxia 85 f2.4 | Sony 100-400 GM |
Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
kdrk888
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 27, 2011 04:45 |  #3527

spacemonkey_ wrote in post #12486986 (external link)
Good thinking. That's what I should have done. So here is the crazy thing guys. UPS delivered it to my house this morning but nobody was home to sign for it or so I thought. I was expecting delivery after 4pm.

I waited all evening, checked my tracking info, made several calls to UPS, who kept telling me it was on its way. Well, after one more check of status on the UPS site, I see an update that it had been delivered to my address and that my neighbor had signed for it. Are you kidding! Called up UPS to get their story and of course, they couldn't give me much more info other than to say it was delivered. At this point, I'm really upset and hung up. I walk over to my neighbor's house at around 10pm and kindly ask if they signed for a package for me. They said yes but had forgotten to tell me. Wow! I couldn't believe it. I took my long awaited package and checked the contents carefully at home. All appears to be in place so I'm so relieved this lens is finally in my hands. What a long day!

Does your neighbor shoot Canon too? He could use that lens.:lol:

Douglas
Canon, Nikon, Sony. Too many gears, too little time.

docgipe
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 27, 2011 06:40 |  #3528

Haa Sandra. One must have the best to ever hope to be among the best. Then one must associate with the with those who are even better than the student to ever hope of improving position on the learning curve. I thank folks who continue to help me along. I hold great respect for anyone who strives to be best he or she can be. There is room anywhere for best of anything. Therefore you are the best. Amen.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 - 200 mm F/2.8 L IS Mark II
70 X 300mm
"I will loan no one my wife, gun, axe or camera".

Chelsey ­ Somohano
317 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 27, 2011 08:56 |  #3529

spacemonkey_ wrote in post #12486986 (external link)

Hey, at least you got it. We're still waiting on a lens we purchased earlier this week. It should be here today :/

50D | 35L | 24-70L | 50 1.8 |
"Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer - It makes you a camera owner."

alfredomora
Cream of the Crop
8,548 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 27, 2011 09:25 |  #3530

kdrk888 wrote in post #12487589 (external link)
Does your neighbor shoot Canon too? He could use that lens.:lol:

No, I don't think so. Luckily, my neighbor is honest.  :p

Chelsey, you're right. At least it made into my hands finally. From the few pics I snapped, I can tell this lens is special. It's not as heavy or big as I had imagined so that's good. Now to go buy a grip for my 7d to provide better balance.

- Alfredo -
Sony a7RII | Voightlander 12 f5.6 | Sony 16-35 GM f2.8 | Zeiss Batis 18 f2.8 | Zeiss Loxia 21 f2.8 | FE 55 f1.8 | Zeiss Loxia 85 f2.4 | Sony 100-400 GM |

MattD
944 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 27, 2011 09:35 |  #3531

i just bought one! I just bought one! I just bought one!!!!!

Now that I have that off my chest....wow.......

I recently bought the new 70-200 Sigma, and found it to be more or less okay - it was built okay (But not built well enough to take a drop) its image quality was okay, its focusing is okay, Its IS was very good...but generally its okay, and definitely worth the cash. But because of a sticky focus ring I returned it and wondered what the next option might be...

After about 30 seconds of thought, I ran back down to the camera shop, asked to have a play, and left the shop more out of pocket than before, but with a much nicer peace of lens than the Sigma.

Iv not had much of a chance to use it yet (only bought it yesterday), but I did take it out last night (walking the dog) took quite a few not to intresting shots in fading light (birds flying, trees off in the distance, cows and hourses) and my god, its flawless, I think its as sharp as my Macro lens, and its focusing...I have never used a lens like it. Im shocked at how good it is.

Ill do some boring TC tests tonight...I pretty sure its sharp enough that a x2 TC will convert it to a pretty usable 400mm lens too :)

Flickr (external link).
500PX (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

docgipe
568 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 27, 2011 12:10 |  #3532

Matt D...........I have an associate photographer shooting high school baseball with the X2TC. He picks off the center fielder as good as I can do stopping at second base. Those two points on an adult ball field present roughly exactly what the piece is advertised to do. Technically you have to lose a little but if the naked eye can't see that the compromise is not an issue. I think you loose a little more than one stop of light when using the doubler. He loves the combo.

Rebel XTi & 7D
17 - 55 mm F/2.8 IS
70 - 200 mm F/2.8 L IS Mark II
70 X 300mm
"I will loan no one my wife, gun, axe or camera".

Chelsey ­ Somohano
317 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 27, 2011 13:31 |  #3533

spacemonkey_ wrote in post #12488533 (external link)
No, I don't think so. Luckily, my neighbor is honest.  :p

Chelsey, you're right. At least it made into my hands finally. From the few pics I snapped, I can tell this lens is special. It's not as heavy or big as I had imagined so that's good. Now to go buy a grip for my 7d to provide better balance.

We ordered a 35mm from someone on this forum and have yet to get it :/ Starting to worry. Send good lens delivery vibes to me!

50D | 35L | 24-70L | 50 1.8 |
"Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer - It makes you a camera owner."

Foil
140 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 27, 2011 14:22 |  #3534

IMAGE: http://www.ogbamudu.de/web/media/potn/1DI45268.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.ogbamudu.de/web/media/potn/1DI45302.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.ogbamudu.de/web/media/potn/1DI46603.jpg

Still learning Day by Day.Canon1D IV,7D Gripped,40D Gripped,350D,PENTACON SIX & CZJ Biometar 80 2.8 ,10-22mm,24-70 2.8, 85 1.8,50 1.4,50 1.8,100 2.8, 70-200 2.8,100-400mm, 300 2.8

alfredomora
Cream of the Crop
8,548 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 27, 2011 19:41 |  #3535

Chelsey Somohano wrote in post #12489876 (external link)
We ordered a 35mm from someone on this forum and have yet to get it :/ Starting to worry. Send good lens delivery vibes to me!

Hope you got it today. ;)

Foil, those are awesome shots.

Some samples from today:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE: http://alfredomora.smugmug.com/Other/Random/i-Hn5JHgr/1/XL/00320110527firstshots70-200L-XL.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

and I did find some birds too. A bit cropped on this one:

IMAGE: http://alfredomora.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-inspiration/i-zJP4jTq/0/XL/00220110527Forthebirds-XL.jpg

- Alfredo -

orbitechgr
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 28, 2011 05:02 |  #3536

Congrats on your purchase Spacemonkey
Welcome to the club :D

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

QueenChatty
Goldmember
2,178 posts
Joined May 2009

May 28, 2011 08:29 |  #3537

I think Murphy's Law just hit!! As most of you know I just purchased my 70-200 Mark II and my
5d Mark II about a month ago and then last week another 700 dollars worth of Lee gear. (the foundation kit, Lee filters and Lee CPL.
Soooo what happens
Last night I turned the oven on went down to my studio and it was about 3 minutes into warming up and all of a sudden I smell something like burning rubber. I go into the kitchen and it is filled with white smoke. So I think it is the oven and I hear this weird sparking noise and got really scared...so I pulled the stove out from the wall and unplugged it right away. Then as I am looking at the back of the stove for signs of fire of trying to see what happened the fridge starts making this cracking noise...so I then figure the stove is fine and my fridge is the problem. It seems like the fan is trying to turn on now and can't.....I don't know enough about fridges just that the stupid thing is now not working....it is running and the lights inside work. I transferred the freezer contents to the basement freezer and left an ice tray inside to see and this morning there is no ice just water in the tray. Grrrrrrrr stupid Kenmore, the fridge is only 6 and a half yrs old! They sure don't make them like they used to. The last fridge I had was 18 yrs old.

5D MarkII | 50D Canon 17-40mm|55-250 | 60mm Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105L IS | 580EXII | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | Ultra Zap 800 |StarFlash 300 X2 | AB 400X 2 Flickr  (external link)

genzbenz
628 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 28, 2011 09:31 |  #3538

QueenChatty wrote in post #12493713 (external link)
I think Murphy's Law just hit!! As most of you know I just purchased my 70-200 Mark II and my
5d Mark II about a month ago and then last week another 700 dollars worth of Lee gear. (the foundation kit, Lee filters and Lee CPL.
Soooo what happens
Last night I turned the oven on went down to my studio and it was about 3 minutes into warming up and all of a sudden I smell something like burning rubber. I go into the kitchen and it is filled with white smoke. So I think it is the oven and I hear this weird sparking noise and got really scared...so I pulled the stove out from the wall and unplugged it right away. Then as I am looking at the back of the stove for signs of fire of trying to see what happened the fridge starts making this cracking noise...so I then figure the stove is fine and my fridge is the problem. It seems like the fan is trying to turn on now and can't.....I don't know enough about fridges just that the stupid thing is now not working....it is running and the lights inside work. I transferred the freezer contents to the basement freezer and left an ice tray inside to see and this morning there is no ice just water in the tray. Grrrrrrrr stupid Kenmore, the fridge is only 6 and a half yrs old! They sure don't make them like they used to. The last fridge I had was 18 yrs old.

I can relate! A week after I got my 70-200 Mk2, My furnace/AC crapped out......1 month out of warranty. My last furnace was older than me....this one was 5 years and one month. Definitely don't make them like they used to!

Visit my Facebook Page (external link)
5D III | 5D II | 85L II | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 100-400L | 100 2.8 Macro | 50 1.8 II | Tokina 16-28 2.8 | Sigma 15 2.8 FE | Sigma 35 1.4 | 430EX II (x3) | Calumet Genesis lights | YN RF-602 and YN-622c triggers

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 28, 2011 10:40 |  #3539

Last weekend

IMAGE: http://www.bwkphotography.com/People/The-wife/i-Jnnnns8/0/L/5DIIIMG54692011-05-22-153518-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.bwkphotography.com/Things/Stuff/i-3Zv7ptc/0/L/5DIIIMG53752011-05-21-144136-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.bwkphotography.com/Things/Stuff/i-hLD8Lh8/0/L/5DIIIMG53542011-05-21-142338-L.jpg

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

stevetran23
184 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 28, 2011 12:39 |  #3540

@ 200mm, wide open

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/5764296480_ec829ae67a_b.jpg

FLICKr (external link)

sponsored links

3,093,927 views & 30 likes for this thread
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.