Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Mar 2010 (Monday) 21:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Initial impression of Benro B-1 Ballhead

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 08, 2010 21:49 |  #1

Just received a new Benro B-1 Ballhead today. Spend about 2 hrs with it so far. Thought I would post my initial impression.

My heaviest setup: 50d + 70-200 f/4 non-IS + 580ex II. Camera mount is a Kirk 50D L bracket.

Tripd: Manfrotto 190XProb. 3 section Al tripod.
Original tripod ball head: Manfrotto 488RC2

New ball head: Benro B-1 ball head, L hex wrench, an extra PU-60 quick release plate. Spec is on Benro web site in English:

http://www.benro.cn/En​Site/EnDefault.aspx (external link)

Installation is easy. Remove old 488RC2 ball head. Screw on Benro and secured it with the 3 set screws on the 190XPROB from the bottom. Ready to use.

Mount the camera with 50D + Kirk L bracket. Very secured. Arca style quick release feels much more secured than RC2 quick release mounting system. Secured with a turning knob. Takes a little longer than RC2's double lever system but feels more secured.

Ball locking knob is very large and easist adjusted. For some reason, it goes from 5 (release) -12 (lock) instead of 0-12 as indicated on the dial. Friction control knob goes from 0-8(tigher) Both work as expected. Panning knob is very smooth.

With the entire lens+flash+camera on, there is no drooping at all. Positive lock at all time. Not sure about long term, but I will find out in a few more months as I sometimes leaves the tripod in the car in the summer time and I often goes to rather dusty area. (I live in Arizona)

Weight: Benro B-1 is about 0.5-0.75 lighter than 488RC2. I can immediately feel the difference when picking it up. Makes a pretty nice combo for people who wants a light secured tripod with an Arca style quick release without paying for a carbon fiber tripod. 190xprob is 4 lbs. B-1 is 0.75lbs. It's a total of less than 5 lbs. Not bad.

Labeling: Mine says Benro B-1A in the front. Not sure what A is for. Maybe an Asian version. I checked Benro and B&H web site. Benro web site has a white line instead of yellow line on B&H web site. Both say B-1. Mine is a white line like the Benro web site.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 22, 2010 11:02 |  #2

liupublic wrote in post #9756740 (external link)
Just received a new Benro B-1 Ballhead today. Spend about 2 hrs with it so far. Thought I would post my initial impression.

My heaviest setup: 50d + 70-200 f/4 non-IS + 580ex II. Camera mount is a Kirk 50D L bracket.

Tripd: Manfrotto 190XProb. 3 section Al tripod.
Original tripod ball head: Manfrotto 488RC2

New ball head: Benro B-1 ball head, L hex wrench, an extra PU-60 quick release plate. Spec is on Benro web site in English:

http://www.benro.cn/En​Site/EnDefault.aspx (external link)

Installation is easy. Remove old 488RC2 ball head. Screw on Benro and secured it with the 3 set screws on the 190XPROB from the bottom. Ready to use.

Mount the camera with 50D + Kirk L bracket. Very secured. Arca style quick release feels much more secured than RC2 quick release mounting system. Secured with a turning knob. Takes a little longer than RC2's double lever system but feels more secured.

Ball locking knob is very large and easist adjusted. For some reason, it goes from 5 (release) -12 (lock) instead of 0-12 as indicated on the dial. Friction control knob goes from 0-8(tigher) Both work as expected. Panning knob is very smooth.

With the entire lens+flash+camera on, there is no drooping at all. Positive lock at all time. Not sure about long term, but I will find out in a few more months as I sometimes leaves the tripod in the car in the summer time and I often goes to rather dusty area. (I live in Arizona)

Weight: Benro B-1 is about 0.5-0.75 lighter than 488RC2. I can immediately feel the difference when picking it up. Makes a pretty nice combo for people who wants a light secured tripod with an Arca style quick release without paying for a carbon fiber tripod. 190xprob is 4 lbs. B-1 is 0.75lbs. It's a total of less than 5 lbs. Not bad.

Labeling: Mine says Benro B-1A in the front. Not sure what A is for. Maybe an Asian version. I checked Benro and B&H web site. Benro web site has a white line instead of yellow line on B&H web site. Both say B-1. Mine is a white line like the Benro web site.

I have a benro tripod & b1 head combo. Removed head as above as I wanted to see if I could use it on my manfrotto monopod - but found that when it comes apart, the plate with the screw hole (if that makes sense) remains on the tripod - and now I can only get 2 of the screws back in (4 in total) ...sigh

Gear List

TomBrooklyn
204 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 02, 2010 20:40 |  #3

liupublic wrote in post #9756740 (external link)
With the entire lens+flash+camera on, there is no drooping at all. Positive lock at all time. Not sure about long term, but I will find out in a few more months

Hi. Thanks for the preliminary review. What have you found out since?

liupublic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 03, 2010 07:53 |  #4

It's been about 8 months now. Works as advertised. Do not see any drooping yet. All the controls are still easy to turn/lock-in.

I think it's an excellent bargain for what it does.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,965 views & 0 likes for this thread
Initial impression of Benro B-1 Ballhead
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.