I thought I'd more or less bought all the glass I needed, and then made the mistake of buying a 35L...and so it starts again! The prime lust has grabbed me...
My main 'subjects' tend to be people (candid portraits) and landscapes/nature photography, although I'm currently playing around with urban/street photography.
I've got pretty much all focal length covered by L zooms; 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/2.8, 100-400, and I really do love them for what they do, and the overall versatility and portability, but I invariably find my 'hit rate' with primes is higher. The zooms are staying, but I'm pondering a 'primes kit' for the (ultra)wide to medium telephoto range. I shoot a 5DII
- Canon Fisheye 15/2.8: staying, fun little lens
- Contax Zeiss Distagon 35/2.8: staying, MF is fun, and Zeiss glass has a great 'look'
- Canon 35L: staying, bought it a month ago, fast becoming my favourite lens.
- Contax Zeiss Planar 50/1.4: staying, great fun.
- Canon 50/1.8 mk I: probably going. IQ is fine, sharp, bokeh is so-so, but the slow and noisy AF annoys me, and it doesn't get used.
- Sigma 105/2.8 macro: staying, great IQ, annoyingly slow AF, but I don't do enough macro work to really consider upgrading it.
- Yashica 135/2.8: nothing special, MF, likely going since it doesn't get used much at all.
So, what glass to add to the 'kit'?
- I really enjoy 50mm glass, so I'm torn between the Sigmalux 50/1.4 and the 50L; I'll probably rent the L to see if it's worth it. Not sure whether the FL is too close to the 35, though. Not a huge priority given the 50's I have.
- 85mm...not sure I like the FL all that much, so I'll probably skip it
- 135L: looks like a great option for portraiture on full-frame. Used to use the Sigma macro for that, but it was always a touch long on crop.
On the ultrawide/wide angle, I'm still very much dithering - the 14L mk II looks like a fantastic proposition, but is another lens I think I should rent before buying to see if I get along with it. Downside to that is price. The alternative I'm considering is the Zeiss 21mm, or maybe the 18mm (although the reviews aren't quite as glowing). I briefly considered the Sigma 12-24 as well for the ultrawide crazy...
Thoughts? Other suggestions/alternatives? Anyone have a cure for the Prime Lust?