Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 15:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RANT: Abe's of Maine

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 10, 2010 21:33 |  #16

there is a large thread on this store in another section of the forum. Most people dont' seem to mind the upsell because their prices are good.

Personally, I have no time for stores like that. I'll do my business with B&H, thank you very much.

mark

sponsored links
HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 10, 2010 22:17 |  #17

it's well-known they'll try to upsell, but also take a simple "no" with no pressure. so, up to you.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

TheSonofDarwin
618 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 10, 2010 22:33 as a reply to  @ HyperYagami's post |  #18

Just a note, if you post a negative review on resellerratings Abe's will first contact you and try to get you to remove it and, if that fails, try to get the website staff to remove it. Be prepared to email them evidence if it comes to that. You can read my experience in one of the other Abe's threads.

They could be the only store in the world that sold camera gear and I'd drop the hobby before dealing with them again. I'd much rather pay $20 more from Adorama or BH to receive what I ordered promptly rather than have my item held hostage until they try their pitch and when they fail be concerned if their pissy disappointment will affect my product arriving on time.

-Justin (external link)

icebat
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 11, 2010 01:11 |  #19

Wow, I just ordered a sigmalux from them today. I got an e mail, that said I need to contact them about my order, couldn't get through to anyone. I normally deal with adorama, but I got a pretty good deal, so I don't really mind turning them down on a upsale. We'll se how it goes if I actually talk to them.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link) :cool:
Instagram (external link)
-Sean
x100, Canon 5D, 24-105 f/4L, Σ 50 f/1.4, 580 ex II

cpforyou
283 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 11, 2010 02:01 |  #20

icebat wrote in post #9772670 (external link)
Wow, I just ordered a sigmalux from them today. I got an e mail, that said I need to contact them about my order, couldn't get through to anyone. I normally deal with adorama, but I got a pretty good deal, so I don't really mind turning them down on a upsale. We'll se how it goes if I actually talk to them.

I ordered a Sigmalux awhile back and I got the same upsell pitch, wanting to sell me a filter, extended warranty, etc. and that they would ship it to me faster. When I declined all of them, they told me they will ship it out "soon" and that I may have to wait awhile to get it.

I eventually did get it.

icebat
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 11, 2010 10:29 |  #21

cpforyou wrote in post #9772825 (external link)
I ordered a Sigmalux awhile back and I got the same upsell pitch, wanting to sell me a filter, extended warranty, etc. and that they would ship it to me faster. When I declined all of them, they told me they will ship it out "soon" and that I may have to wait awhile to get it.

I eventually did get it.

Wow, I just talked to them today. The guy seemed pretty nice, and he only tried to sell me filters. I declined, and He told me I should have my lens in 7 days. My experience wasn't that bad. I would have rather not talked to them at all, but to save $50 it was worth it to me. :) Just hope I get a good copy.

Flickr (external link)
-Sean

pixelharmony
THREAD ­ STARTER
857 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 11, 2010 11:38 |  #22

The guy was a bit more persistent with me. I still haven't gotten any shipment confirmation from them.

But thus far I've dealt with Adorama, B&H, Cameta, J&R and they've all been top notch. Needless to say this will be my last purchase from Abe's.

Eugene Kim
5D Mark II . Sigma 50mm f1.4
R.I.P - D700, D300, D200, 40D, D50

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 11, 2010 12:00 |  #23

Everyone values his/her time differently. If you think saving $50 is not worth 20 mins, don't deal with Abe. For hobbist like me, it's definitely worth it.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

icebat
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 11, 2010 12:38 |  #24

pixelharmony wrote in post #9774928 (external link)
The guy was a bit more persistent with me. I still haven't gotten any shipment confirmation from them.

But thus far I've dealt with Adorama, B&H, Cameta, J&R and they've all been top notch. Needless to say this will be my last purchase from Abe's.

I usually only deal with adorama, but when I can save a little money, I'll usually go for it as long as the are reputable.

liupublic wrote in post #9775074 (external link)
Everyone values his/her time differently. If you think saving $50 is not worth 20 mins, don't deal with Abe. For hobbist like me, it's definitely worth it.

I agree completely with that. That being said, I was on the phone for 2 minutes tops, and shortly after, received an e mail that the order was complete and it was being shipped through ups. Now just waiting on a tracking #.

I'm not trying to talk them up, trust me I would've much rather ordered from Adorama, but for me the money I saved was worth it.

Flickr (external link)
-Sean

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 11, 2010 12:47 |  #25

It's called the Brooklyn hustle ... which is why B&H, Adorama, Calumet, Keh, Midwest, are infinitely superior.

golf88
321 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 11, 2010 12:50 |  #26

luckily i didn't receive a call about my order... but i'm just waiting for the follow up so they can sell me some overpriced filters for my lenses too..

Flickr (external link)

wishlf
405 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 11, 2010 14:57 |  #27

Pulled the trigger on sigma 50 1.4 yesterday. They called me up today ask me if I want to purchase filter and warranty for the lens. I just told them no I have the filter and I don't need warranty. I don't feel offended tho.
Maybe this reccession hit them too hard, they just trying to make get more sales. :)

K-5 [31 LTD F/1.8] [100 MACRO WR F/2.8]

icebat
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 11, 2010 15:30 |  #28

wishlf wrote in post #9776302 (external link)
Pulled the trigger on sigma 50 1.4 yesterday. They called me up today ask me if I want to purchase filter and warranty for the lens. I just told them no I have the filter and I don't need warranty. I don't feel offended tho.
Maybe this reccession hit them too hard, they just trying to make get more sales. :)

Same here. They didn't even ask me about the warranty though. Anyways, I just received my tracking # today, and my sigmalux is scheduled to be delivered on 3/16/10. Not bad if you ask me :)

Flickr (external link)
-Sean

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 11, 2010 15:39 |  #29

liupublic wrote in post #9775074 (external link)

This

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

ugly_a
406 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 11, 2010 22:04 |  #30

I just had a brilliant idea.

What if you didn't give them a call back? Will they NOT ship your order at all? I wonder if the seller would ship the item after certain amount of days, or if they would ignore the entire order... I would bet my money that they would ship the order after x amount of days since it's better to sell than not.

Gear-lust-free since yesterday.

sponsored links

1,980 views & 0 likes for this thread
RANT: Abe's of Maine
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.