Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 08:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you use anything to protect the LCD?

qwerty11
51 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 11, 2010 08:46 |  #1

Do you guys use anything to protect the LCD screen on our cameras? If so what do you use?

Is the plastic cover easily replacable if it gets scratched?

sponsored links
scott0999
173 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 11, 2010 09:09 |  #2

I dont because my screen flips over when not in use. if it was exposed all the time I would use one

Canon SX10 IS | 430EX | Custom OCF Cable | Lensmate & Janco 58mm adapters | Raynox DCR-M250 | Hoya HD CIR-PL | Vanguard VS-82https://photography-on-the.net …php?t=836625&hi​ghlight=s2

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 11, 2010 10:03 as a reply to  @ scott0999's post |  #3

I've been considering it. I'm not worried about the LCD itself, but if it has a glare coating... I wonder how easily that can be scratched.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 11, 2010 10:07 |  #4

You don't have a gear list in your signature and don't say what model of camera you are using, but if you are shooting with a canon SLR then there is a clear plastic cover over the LCD that can be replaced cheaply and easily if it becomes scratched. if you're using one of the smaller cameras then you should probably consider getting a good protector.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 11, 2010 10:11 |  #5

No, I don't. The EOS DSLRs all have a protective cover over the LCD proper. With the exception of the 7D, it's an inexpensive user-replaceable and very tough plastic cover, available from Canon Parts. Most inexpensive "protective covers" are less resistant to scratching than that plastic is so anything that could scratch the Canon cover would go right through the third party "protection" like butter. The 7D uses a glass protective cover; I haven't heard any reports of it being scratchable. But it's for sure tougher than any plastic you might put over it.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

OtherMike
106 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 11, 2010 10:44 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Jon wrote in post #9774454 (external link)
No, I don't. The EOS DSLRs all have a protective cover over the LCD proper. With the exception of the 7D, it's an inexpensive user-replaceable and very tough plastic cover, available from Canon Parts. Most inexpensive "protective covers" are less resistant to scratching than that plastic is so anything that could scratch the Canon cover would go right through the third party "protection" like butter. The 7D uses a glass protective cover; I haven't heard any reports of it being scratchable. But it's for sure tougher than any plastic you might put over it.

I've been searching around in Canon USA for a parts department and I'm finding nada, if you have a link, especially for the cover could you post it?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 11, 2010 10:51 |  #7

Phone 'em. 732-521-7230. They'll help you find the part number you need for whatever you need.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 11, 2010 10:56 |  #8

A google search for: canon 7D LCD screen protector
returns some inexpensive results. I have never used them.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 11, 2010 11:00 |  #9

Never even thought about a screen protector as the screen is pretty damn solid.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 11, 2010 11:18 as a reply to  @ neilwood32's post |  #10

I bought a protector when I purchased my 300D as I was not aware that the LCD was already behind a protective cover. I had broken two LCDs on Palm Pilots and did not want the same thing to happen to my 300D. Having since found out that the LCDs are protected by a very substantial and cheap to replace protector, I did not even consider getting one for my T1i.

OtherMike
106 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 11, 2010 11:29 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Jon wrote in post #9774689 (external link)
Phone 'em. 732-521-7230. They'll help you find the part number you need for whatever you need.

Thanks Jon, guess I should have asked for Canon Canada where I am. I phoned Canon Canada they gave me the number for their parts distributor, I called and priced the protector, I guess cheap is relative, they want 37.50 for the screen protector for 40D pus shipping. I'm wondering about installation, are these sticky one side or is there an adhesive possibly under another parts number? The parts person I talked to didn't seem to know much.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 11, 2010 11:40 |  #12

They stick on with a "gasket" of double-stick tape. There are a couple of threads about the replacement process on here. IIRC at least one person managed to carefully remove the tape and reuse it. ISTR another person got a replacement tape sent along with the cover.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

MadTony
430 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 11, 2010 11:47 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #13

I use a zagg protective cover. I think the 50D kit was about 20 dollars off their website, and includes covers for the rear and top lcds.

Adam Pender
5DIII | 7DII | 16-35 f/4L IS | 24-70 f/2.8 L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100-400 L IS II
Samyang 14/2.8 | TS-E 24 f/3.5L II | | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | 100 f/2.8L IS | 1.4x III | 2.0x III | 580EXII | 430EX
For sale:24-105 f/4L IS, 24 f/1.4L II
www.adampenderphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,400 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you use anything to protect the LCD?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.