Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 12 Mar 2010 (Friday) 16:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Baseball Tips and Settings

Pipernails
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2010 16:03 |  #1

Hi,

I am new to Canon Forums and would appreciate any suggestions, advice, recommendations, and opinions.

I am preparing to shoot my son's travel baseball team and would like some help in the following areas:

1. Shadows on the field: How does one account for different lighting conditions on the field? What settings would allow me to shoot the batter in one light and the baserunner in another?
2. Back Button Focus
3. RAW vs. JPEG

I normally shoot in M or Av mode, AI Servo, Center AF point, RAW, with the Mark III 1D
and 70-200mm F2.8.

Thanks so much!
Laura

sponsored links
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 12, 2010 17:01 |  #2

Welcome to the forum, check out this link and the search feature will help a lot.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=136949

1 - be prepared to switch, before a pitch I expose both and know what to change my shutter to while moving from the batter to field. Some will say AV mode is fine, and it is at times, but exposing yourself is better than letting the camera make decisions because sometimes it gets things confused. You can also use the switch for the AF-ON and register an AV setting you like to make a quick switch, do that often as well.

Center point - depends what you're shooting, how far away it is, etc. There's more than one for a reason.

2 - Yes, all the way - not the shutter.

3 - If you are not good with exposure manually then go RAW to make adjustments, it will increase your post time and have to spend more time on the computer but you shoot that way already. Personally I shoot JPG because it's what is needed for me shooting every single day trying to get it right in camera so RAW is just not needed for me. If you're not shooting much it may be the option to go (RAW).

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 12, 2010 19:09 |  #3

but exposing yourself is better than letting the camera make decisions

:oops:

http://www.denniswierz​bicki.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/dmwierz (external link)

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 12, 2010 20:45 |  #4

Pipernails wrote in post #9784334 (external link)
Hi,

1. Shadows on the field: How does one account for different lighting conditions on the field? What settings would allow me to shoot the batter in one light and the baserunner in another?
2. Back Button Focus
3. RAW vs. JPEG

I normally shoot in M or Av mode, AI Servo, Center AF point, RAW, with the Mark III 1D
and 70-200mm F2.8.

Thanks so much!
Laura

You need to enable CFn 1-14. I have mine set to AV +1/3, every time I press the * button, the camera will focus, switch to Av and +1/3 exposure comp. Release the button and the camera switches back to manual (or your previous setting). Very handy when shooting with part of the field in shadow and part in bright sun.

Welcome to the forum.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

dlpasco
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2010 20:52 |  #5

dmwierz wrote in post #9785305 (external link)

Warn me before you do that :)

Dan

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 13, 2010 21:53 |  #6

dmwierz wrote in post #9785305 (external link)

What, fat man can't streak instead of take photos?

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

sponsored links

1,076 views & 0 likes for this thread
Baseball Tips and Settings
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.