Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Mar 2010 (Sunday) 08:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

82mm CP filter for 16-35mm f/2.8 II

kdrk888
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 14, 2010 08:44 |  #1

Hi folks,

I am selling my new 17-40mm f/4 and buying a 16-35mm f/2.8 II. I am thinking of getting a HOYA 82mm HD Circular Polarizing Digital Filter for it. The filter frame is 5mm thick and the glass is 2mm thick.

Will it cause vignetting? Has anyone here used it on the 16-35mm f/2.8 II?

I looked at the B+W slim CP filters. They are expensive and don't accept lens cap ( I know they provide their own cap).

Thank you in advance for all the advices and replies.

Doug

Douglas
Canon, Nikon, Sony. Too many gears, too little time.

KCMO ­ Al
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 14, 2010 12:54 |  #2

Take a look at Heliopan. I understand their slim filters are threaded. Had I known that I'd have purchased it instead of B+W. I wouldn't buy any filters other than B+W or Heliopan.

Film: Leica M-4, Elan 7E, Rolleiflex 2.8f, Pentax 645 -- Digital: Canon Pro-1, EOS 5D Mk III
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3

tunin
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 14, 2010 13:08 |  #3

Hi, I have the 16-35II and the B+W slim filter, I searched all over the place for advice on what you're asking for now and I ended up getting the B+W, the filter is great and there is no vignetting. As you noted the only problem with it is it's cap, it is not held on the filter with anything but a tight fit on the outside and it tends to slip-off... I think they did not have another opt. other than threading it from the outside, if they added the thread as on other filters it would vignette for sure. I think the best way to go is in fact this B+W filter.

I am not young enough to know everything. O.W.
www.medjugorje.net (external link)
*** Amateur tools ***

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,173 views & 0 likes for this thread
82mm CP filter for 16-35mm f/2.8 II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.