Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2010 (Sunday) 10:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anticipation of first real wedding shoot

Steave
113 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 14, 2010 10:18 |  #1

Hey guys, just recently a good friend recommended me to a soon-to-be bride as her official wedding photographer. I have taken photos at friends weddings before (back when I had my Rebel XT) but nothing involving actual money changing hands.

So, here's the deal.

Seeing as it's such a huge day for all involved I've started to get really nervous about doing this. I'm pretty confident in my abilities as a photographer and I think I have equipment that is up to the task but that's not doing anything to stop me from psyching myself out about this :). I really do think I've progessed in my ability since the last time I've taken wedding pictures (and I know I've got much more capable gear now!) but I still keep doubting myself.

Hopefully you all can calm me down a bit. How did your first real shoot go? Where you nervous? Did you make any interesting goofs?

EOS 1D Mark II, 70-200 f/2.8L, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Tamron 19-35, 50 f/1.8, 3x Sigma 530 DG Super
Flickr (external link) | DeviantART (external link)

sponsored links
canerino
286 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 14, 2010 10:45 |  #2

doubt will only inhibit your ability to shoot! get that out of your head. they put their faith in your abilities for a reason!

i was in a bit of a different spot than you for my first wedding (a few weeks ago) as I was a second. yes, i was nervous, but doubt never weighed in. i reminded myself that the primary chose to have me shoot with him.

as for how it went, i was pretty happy...missed a few things...shot a decent portion of the reception at ISO3200 when i should have been at 1250 or 1600.

here are the results: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=837018

biggest thing is have a lot of fun...relax!

1Ds2 I 24L I 35L I 85L I 100 macro
www.thefamilyphotojour​nalist.blogspot.com (external link)
www.anerinooriginals.c​om (external link)
www.anerinooriginals.b​logspot.com (external link)

Steave
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 15, 2010 07:12 |  #3

canerino wrote in post #9793852 (external link)
doubt will only inhibit your ability to shoot! get that out of your head. they put their faith in your abilities for a reason!

i was in a bit of a different spot than you for my first wedding (a few weeks ago) as I was a second. yes, i was nervous, but doubt never weighed in. i reminded myself that the primary chose to have me shoot with him.

as for how it went, i was pretty happy...missed a few things...shot a decent portion of the reception at ISO3200 when i should have been at 1250 or 1600.

here are the results: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=837018

biggest thing is have a lot of fun...relax!

I had actually been browsing for first time examples and saw yours before posting this. Great work! If mine come out half as good as yours I'll be happy :p

I am curious though, did you find yourself shooting at max aperture most of the time? If not, when the light wasn't at it's best did you generally compensate with ISO or aperture?

EOS 1D Mark II, 70-200 f/2.8L, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Tamron 19-35, 50 f/1.8, 3x Sigma 530 DG Super

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2010 11:56 |  #4

Hi Steave - that was quite some time ago....I'm sure I was a bit nervous; there were some good shots and some poor ones. Most of us improve over time with a lot of practice under a lot of different lighting circumstances.

But no - for that first wedding I was not shooting anywhere near wide open. As I recall it was late in the day and cloudy, and most of my shots used flash. Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see a flash in your gear list. This is critical. You HAVE to have one at a wedding....you may not use it, but you never really know how dark things can really get.

Will you be doing an evening reception also?

If so, the highest ISO and fastest lenses in the world won't be able to deal with no light, or ugly, poor quality light. Regarding the latter, one of the worst things I encounter at some receptions are these horrible "down spots" that create pools of light that render terrible shadows across faces. This is where a flesh really shows it's muster. - Stu

Steave wrote in post #9799014 (external link)
I had actually been browsing for first time examples and saw yours before posting this. Great work! If mine come out half as good as yours I'll be happy :p

I am curious though, did you find yourself shooting at max aperture most of the time? If not, when the light wasn't at it's best did you generally compensate with ISO or aperture?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Steave
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 15, 2010 12:21 |  #5

Hey Stu, thanks for the insight! Right now I have 3 sigma 530s with wireless ETTL ability along with stands and umbrellas to go along with them. I will also be doing the reception. The sigmas have a drop down flash diffuser, will that be sufficient or should I pick up an omnibounce?

Would you recommend picking up gels and a holder as well?

sapearl wrote in post #9800527 (external link)
Hi Steave - that was quite some time ago....I'm sure I was a bit nervous; there were some good shots and some poor ones. Most of us improve over time with a lot of practice under a lot of different lighting circumstances.

But no - for that first wedding I was not shooting anywhere near wide open. As I recall it was late in the day and cloudy, and most of my shots used flash. Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see a flash in your gear list. This is critical. You HAVE to have one at a wedding....you may not use it, but you never really know how dark things can really get.

Will you be doing an evening reception also?

If so, the highest ISO and fastest lenses in the world won't be able to deal with no light, or ugly, poor quality light. Regarding the latter, one of the worst things I encounter at some receptions are these horrible "down spots" that create pools of light that render terrible shadows across faces. This is where a flesh really shows it's muster. - Stu

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2010 12:47 |  #6

Hello Steave - sorry about that.... I didn't recognize the nomenclature on the Sigma's.

Some of the folks here use gels with great success but I have to honestly say I'm a bit lazy about their use. I usually shoot the reception with a single flash, drag the shutter and camera on Manual - and yes, lighting would be more pleasing with two - but bounce most of my light from a 580ex..

Some also use umbrellas, but that could be overkill for general use shooting. Now, if you're doing portraiture and groups that could be a different story.

Steave wrote in post #9800701 (external link)
Hey Stu, thanks for the insight! Right now I have 3 sigma 530s with wireless ETTL ability along with stands and umbrellas to go along with them. I will also be doing the reception. The sigmas have a drop down flash diffuser, will that be sufficient or should I pick up an omnibounce?

Would you recommend picking up gels and a holder as well?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

bluefox9er
Goldmember
1,706 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Location: UK,don't move ehre,it rains a lot, it's incredibly violent and the women pee standing up..

Mar 15, 2010 15:37 |  #7

having confidence in your ability is half the battle!!

knowing your gear inside out and having back ups, you will kick ass....and don't forget to enjoy the event and have fun!

http://www.flickr.com …s/sets/72157602​470636767/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com …ctions/72157604​292148339/ (external link)
Canon EOS 1d mk III, Canon EOS 5d,Canon EOS 400d, 24-70 mm F2.8 L, ef 24-105 F4 L IS, ef 17-40 mm F4 L, 70-200 mm f2.8 IS L, 100-400 mm IS L, 50mmm f1.8, 85mmf1.8mm, ef 35 mm f1.4L, ef 135 mm f2 L,Canon Powershot G9, Epson p400-, hyperdrive space 120gb

Steave
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 19, 2010 21:25 |  #8

Thanks guys, I'll probably get ridiculously sick before the wedding from nerves, but I think I can pull it off :). Now I have a few more "gear" related questions...

I definitely would not feel comfortable only taking one body. I don't know what I'd do if my 1d broke down and I couldn't shoot the wedding, it'd be horrible. Looking around on lensrentals.com, the 5D classic doesn't look to be very expensive to rent for a weekend and I've always been very interested in trying it out. I was thinking of keeping my new sigma 24-70 on the 1d, and my 70-2002.8 on the 5d. What would you do? 24-70 on the 5d and 70-200 on the 1d?

I also thought I'd mainly use the 1d for the non-traditional, artsy stuff, and the 5d for formal portraits. Any comments on that? Do you all usually use both bodies at once or keep one in the bag as a backup?

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 19, 2010 22:13 |  #9

I carry both of my 5D's with me simultaneously for a good part of the day.

Typically the one always has the 24-105 mounted, which also gets the 580ex mounted on the Newton bracket. The other gets the 70-200 f/2.8 IS or the 135 f/2 or the 85 f/1.8, minus flash and bracket.

GEAR LIST

SS308
323 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 19, 2010 23:14 |  #10

sapearl wrote in post #9832873 (external link)
I carry both of my 5D's with me simultaneously for a good part of the day.

Typically the one always has the 24-105 mounted, which also gets the 580ex mounted on the Newton bracket. The other gets the 70-200 f/2.8 IS or the 135 f/2 or the 85 f/1.8, minus flash and bracket.

How do carry your two cameras?

7D gripped, 5D gripped, 50D gripped, T90, Sigma 8mm Fisheye, Sigma 24-60 2.8, 70-200mm L 4.0, 70-200mm L 2.8 IS,400 5.6 L, 580 EX II, numerous filters, Monfrotto Tripod and Monopod.

Not as Lean, Not as mean, but still a Marine.

Steave
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 19, 2010 23:30 |  #11

SS308 wrote in post #9833151 (external link)

I've been reading through a bunch of old posts and I believe I saw Stu say that he used the normal straps with one around the neck and one over his shoulder. I could most definitely be wrong though :)

jdhart73
476 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 19, 2010 23:33 |  #12

Dont F it up!!!!

I joke, I keeed......:)

BLOG (external link)
Canon stim to stern......

Steave
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 19, 2010 23:49 |  #13

jdhart73 wrote in post #9833252 (external link)
Dont F it up!!!!

I joke, I keeed......:)

Really! That will most definitely be on loop in my head the morning before!

BTW, here are the pricings I offered to the bride to fit her budget.

650$ for 12 hours (1 day)

or

65$hr

She's deciding which will be best based on the length of the wedding right now and we're going to have a face to face soon to figure out the rest of the details and what prints she'd like. Both options come with 200 photos (selected specifically by me, I've had too many issues with people asking me for copies of terrible photos) on a CD. I plan to OFFER the bride print services, while pointing out that I can get her very high quality results for a decent price. I think all of this is a fair compromise to my relative lack of experience in weddings. POTNs opinions?

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 20, 2010 07:37 |  #14

Hello again Randy :D. What Steave says is correct. Both of my bodies have straps but the main 5D has a frankenstein contraption that I customized myself.

I never really liked the Canon logo straps - just me - and always like to use something with a bit more grip, foam, width to it. The 5D with the 24-105 has a rubberized Tamrac strap with the quick release connections. This is their model N-17:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …i_Slip_Quick_Re​lease.html (external link)

It's similar to the strap I'd used with my Hasselblad which impressed me with it's "grippiness" when hanging from my shoulder. No strap is perfect, but this would would resist sliding more than others I've used.

Also connected to this body, in combination with the N-17 is a small Hakuba wrist strap:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …GP_02_Camera_Gr​ip_LH.html (external link)

Througout a typical wedding day I'll just hold this camera at my right side with the wrist strip which gives me added security from "droppage." The latter is not an issue but as the day wears on into hours 8-10 fatigue starts to set in a bit ;).

The other 5D with the monster 70-200 f/2.8 uses the Tamrac N-27 Boomarang strap:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …merang_Quick_Re​lease.html (external link)

This thing is wide, foamy and very "cushy", nicely distributing the weight across the back of my neck, or shoulders. It has a bit of a springiness to it so it's like having a built in shock absorber.

SS308 wrote in post #9833151 (external link)

GEAR LIST

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 20, 2010 13:44 |  #15

Also look into the Cotton Carrier, or the Spyder holder (its called something like that)

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

1,506 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anticipation of first real wedding shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.