Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Mar 2010 (Monday) 11:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Third party/prime EF-S lenses

S.C.Williams
48 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 15, 2010 11:58 |  #1

Do you guys think there will eventually be prime EF-S lenses from Canon or third party companies making lenses with the EF-S mount? Seems like an interesting, yet plausible concept to me.

Steve

Steve
Olympus 1979 OM-10 ( Zuiko 50mm f1.8 ), Rebel XS (35mm), Rebel T1i, EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tam 28-300mm AF ASP LD IF Macro

sponsored links
spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 15, 2010 12:01 |  #2

Would lenses like the Sigma 30mm 1.4 qualify? Perhaps not technically an EF-S mount they can only really be used on crop due to the reduced image circle.

botw
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 15, 2010 12:02 |  #3

Dont forget the 60 macro either.

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

S.C.Williams
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 15, 2010 12:06 |  #4

botw wrote in post #9800569 (external link)
Dont forget the 60 macro either.

Yeah forgot about that. But that's just one prime, I'd like to see more.

Steve

Steve
Olympus 1979 OM-10 ( Zuiko 50mm f1.8 ), Rebel XS (35mm), Rebel T1i, EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tam 28-300mm AF ASP LD IF Macro

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 15, 2010 12:11 |  #5

Do you mean lenses only good on 1.6x crop cameras, or a true EF-S mount?

Honestly, for any lens past about 45mm, there is no sense in making it for crop only cameras as their is little to no benefits. The 60mm is not any smaller or lighter because it is a 1.6x crop lens. I do hope someone comes out with some reasonably fast wider primes for crop, though. There is definitely a market for prime lenses at 15, 20, 24, 30mm and as they are retrofocal, the reduced image circle would help make them cheaper and smaller.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

S.C.Williams
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 15, 2010 12:15 |  #6

tkbslc wrote in post #9800619 (external link)
Do you mean lenses only good on 1.6x crop cameras, or a true EF-S mount?
There is definitely a market for prime lenses at 15, 20, 24, 30mm and as they are retrofocal, the reduced image circle would help make them cheaper and smaller.

Yes true EF-S mount.

Exactly!

Steve

Steve

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,753 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2010 12:16 as a reply to  @ S.C.Williams's post |  #7

why does it matter if its an EF-s mount?

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fringer Pro EF-X, 14 f2.8, 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, 35 f2, 50 f2, 90 f2, 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS, Tamron 150-600 G2 VC
Sony RX100 II

purelithium
Blithering Idiot
1,108 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 15, 2010 12:18 |  #8

Well the EF-S mount is proprietary canon, there's no point for third party companies to license another nearly identical mount for more money when they already have a license that works fine for the same system.

R.M. Gelan Hopkins
5D|Voigtlander 20 3.5|EF 50mm 1.8 Mk I|430EX
third element photography (external link) | Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 15, 2010 12:19 |  #9

None of the third parties are going to design EF-S mount lenses. They need their lenses to work on Pentax, Sony, Nikon, etc, as well as Canon. EF-S is a very specific Canon design as the lens' rear element can extend backward into the mirror box while focusing. If they designed a lens like that it would make it harder to guarantee cross system compatibility.

Most just design for 1.5x crop compatibility with a non protruding rear element and then it is simply a matter of slapping different mounts with depth adjustment to get the lens to work on all the different systems.

Taylor

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 15, 2010 12:19 |  #10

Well, since nobody but Canon's tackled the EF-S mount, I really doubt you'll see anyone else start to make any lenses in the EF-S mount. Why should they bother developing yet another lens mount to have to keep parts in stock?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

FMX
612 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 15, 2010 12:21 |  #11

05Xrunner wrote in post #9800662 (external link)
why does it matter if its an EF-s mount?

^^ i'm with this guy... why does the mount type matter as long as it can connect to the camera?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 15, 2010 12:22 |  #12

I honestly don't know why Canon keeps making EF-S lenses. Judging from Sigma's lenses, it is not a requirement for making crop only lenses. It seems like it would be easy enough to abandon the design for future lenses, which would make a nikon-style crop mode an option on future 1.3x and FF cameras.

Taylor

S.C.Williams
THREAD ­ STARTER
48 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 15, 2010 12:28 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #13

Ok thanks guys. Didn't really take it all into account, but I had to ask. But what about more (cheaper) prime lenses?

Steve

Steve

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 15, 2010 12:50 |  #14

The "mount" is the same, EF/EF-S.

The lens, such as the 10-22, won't mount on a FF because Canon installed a baffle in the rear of the lens that makes it impossible for the lens to fit into the mirror box. If you pop the baffle off, the lens has no problems being "mounted" in a FF.

The issue with EF-S lenses is that the rear element protrudes further into mirror box than a FF can handle without the mirror hanging up on the back of the lens.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 15, 2010 13:40 |  #15

bohdank wrote in post #9800884 (external link)
The "mount" is the same, EF/EF-S.

The lens, such as the 10-22, won't mount on a FF because Canon installed a baffle in the rear of the lens that makes it impossible for the lens to fit into the mirror box. If you pop the baffle off, the lens has no problems being "mounted" in a FF.

The issue with EF-S lenses is that the rear element protrudes further into mirror box than a FF can handle without the mirror hanging up on the back of the lens.

... and ALL currently produced third-party "digital only" lenses that are defined as being for APS-C format cameras will work on ANY EOS camera. They will, very likely, vignette on EOS cameras other than APS-C format cameras.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

4,076 views & 0 likes for this thread
Third party/prime EF-S lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.