Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 16 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 11:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blue Wing Teal, required Duck shots!!

ducklabdad
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 16, 2010 11:45 |  #1

Well I finally got my Bigmos, and of course the Weather here has been horrible, Cloudy and rainy for 3 days, but I did get out and find an early returning Blue winged drake on one of my local beaver ponds.

Hope these fit my required "Duck Shots" with my new lense. Gotta get through the learning curve but so far I really like it.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i412.photobucke​t.com …ucklabdad/ducks​/026-2.jpg (external link)

http://i412.photobucke​t.com …ucklabdad/ducks​/037-2.jpg (external link)

http://i412.photobucke​t.com …ucklabdad/ducks​/043-2.jpg (external link)

http://i412.photobucke​t.com …ucklabdad/ducks​/027-3.jpg (external link)

Comments and critique appreciated!!

EXIF shot at 500mm 800iso F7.1 @ 250 "braced on a forked Stick" Hey when sneaking up on these guys we sometimes gotta improvise!!

Just an "ole dog" trying to learn "new tricks"! helpful advice is always welcome!!

Canon 7d, Canon XS/ XSi,18-55, 14-40 L, 70-300, and Bigmos! my"work in progress" http://ducklabdad.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,169 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 16, 2010 12:13 |  #2

Congrats on the new lens! :)

Nice bird to have to practice on. As far as these shots go, they all look a bit soft; I'm not sure if it's motion blur or focus was off; and looks like your ISO was up quite a bit to compensate.

Framing on the last 3 is good and exposure looks fairly good for the conditions you're describing. Definitely want to get some better example shots in better lighting to have some cleaner shot.

What settings were you using? (my exif viewer is shot at the moment).

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Snydremark
19,169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 16, 2010 13:14 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #3

Thanks for the shot info; yeah, I think I see the problem ;)

In order to really get good, sharp shots and avoid camera movement blur, with these long lenses, especially, you want to have a shutter speed inverse of your focal length. So, in this case, you would have wanted to have a minimum shutter of 1/500s or faster.

I don't know whether that particular lens has IS or not, but that can modify the above rule slightly. For instance, with my 100-400 I can get a decent shot at 400mm with IS on at around 1/320 and occasionally down to 1/250 if the light's really good, subject doesn't move and *I* am having a good, non-shakey day :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 16, 2010 14:23 |  #4

This guy is just a regular poser. Unfortunately, he'll be over that by the time he get's up here.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

cannylad
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 16, 2010 15:43 |  #5

I was lucky enough to find one of these on my local patch a few years ago, lost my photos in a computer crash. Seeing these brings back how beautiful this species is.

Brian R
Canon 5D, Canon 40D 24-70mm f 2.8 L usm, 70-200mm f 2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400mm L IS,
Canon 1.4 extender.

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 16, 2010 15:58 |  #6

You should be able to get crisper shots than that. If this is your first 'long' lens then they take a while to get used to, gotta keep it steady, the OS helps here but so does a monopod or tripod :)

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

ducklabdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 16, 2010 21:03 |  #7

Snydremark wrote in post #9808264 (external link)
Thanks for the shot info; yeah, I think I see the problem ;)

In order to really get good, sharp shots and avoid camera movement blur, with these long lenses, especially, you want to have a shutter speed inverse of your focal length. So, in this case, you would have wanted to have a minimum shutter of 1/500s or faster.

I don't know whether that particular lens has IS or not, but that can modify the above rule slightly. For instance, with my 100-400 I can get a decent shot at 400mm with IS on at around 1/320 and occasionally down to 1/250 if the light's really good, subject doesn't move and *I* am having a good, non-shakey day :)

Yes it has "OS" and I know I was just really pushing the day, and should have bumped to 1600 probably and upped the shutter speed, I did not have good cover and was really not "prepared". Had been raining all morning and when there was a break and spotted this guy I jumped. Thanks for the comments, I did find that the last shot I took I missed when I processed, I shot it at 400 iso and shutter speed of 400 I have included it here if it looks any better?

canonloader wrote in post #9808754 (external link)
This guy is just a regular poser. Unfortunately, he'll be over that by the time he get's up here.

Yeah I just wish he was in better light, the sky lightened for just a few minutes and then the bottom fell out I got soaked getting back to the truck. Maybe he will find him a lady fiend and he will be happy to pose for you when he gets up that way. This is earliest I have seen one coming back, should see more until late April usually.

cannylad wrote in post #9809395 (external link)
I was lucky enough to find one of these on my local patch a few years ago, lost my photos in a computer crash. Seeing these brings back how beautiful this species is.

I agreee with how lovely they are in spring plumage. I hope for some shots at them flying in the next few weeks!!

artyman wrote in post #9809505 (external link)
You should be able to get crisper shots than that. If this is your first 'long' lens then they take a while to get used to, gotta keep it steady, the OS helps here but so does a monopod or tripod :)

Yeah arty I was pushing these, I got to get through the curve, and was really pushing the OS on these testing it, but considering how I shot them I was not unhappy.

Thanks to the comments and suggestions from all that is why I am so glad I found this site. I did find the last one I took before the rain, does it look any crisper, it was shot a 400 iso and 1/400 sec at f6.3

http://i412.photobucke​t.com …ucklabdad/ducks​/051-4.jpg (external link)

Just an "ole dog" trying to learn "new tricks"! helpful advice is always welcome!!

Canon 7d, Canon XS/ XSi,18-55, 14-40 L, 70-300, and Bigmos! my"work in progress" http://ducklabdad.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

Snydremark
19,169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 17, 2010 00:32 as a reply to  @ ducklabdad's post |  #8

Well, it sounds like you've got the right concepts in mind and just need some practice with it then.

As far as that last shot, it still looks awfully soft; but keep trying and hopefully you'll get some better light before those critters fly out for the season.

sponsored links

856 views & 0 likes for this thread
Blue Wing Teal, required Duck shots!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.