Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 16 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 13:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cycling Season Opener

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2010 13:26 |  #1

First race of our season this past Sunday. Also my first race with my Canon 1D MkII N. Used the old Sigma 120 - 400mm f 4 - 5.6 telephoto lens which never was all that sharp on the 40D, but I thought I'd try it. Pretty boring course in the shape of a "D" situated near a power plant. Not much opportunity for creative shots. Next week I'll try some slow shutter panning.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

sponsored links
ash.m
260 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 16, 2010 16:51 |  #2

First shot for sure!

In the fifth photo, it looks like there is some distortion behind/around the riders, as tho there is a pane of glass, or heat rising off the road. Im guessing there was v. little heat tho, given all the arm/knee/leg warmers..

Cheers

Ash

1Dmk3 | 7D | 400D | 20 2.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8 L | 580EXmkII | Poverty Wizards Wishlist: Talent | Time | Lightingash milne photography (external link) | facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

Layyz
901 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 16, 2010 17:00 |  #3

Blimey. Its is realy sharp on the 1D. I have the same lens on a 40d. I must try it on my 7D. 1&3 are my faves. Theres something about the 4th image i just dont seem to like the colours. It seems very saturated.

My Flickr (external link)

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,253 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 16, 2010 17:10 |  #4

Bill,
great shots. I especially like the first one.
Is there another race this weekend in southern Wis.?

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

Biffbradford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2010 19:37 |  #5

Yeah, the next two Sundays at the same place - Lakeview Industrial Park in Kenosha, Hwy 165 and 80th. Also a fun race at Blackhawk Farms raceway in S. Beloit on the 27th.

I believe there was a bit of heat coming off the road, plus that's a real tight crop. The riders were about 300 meters away at that point.

Re: that Sigma Lens. I like it's size and versatility but with the 40D I could never get a real sharp image. I could with the Canon 70 - 200mm f2.8 though. I'll keep working it with the 1D, see what it's capable of.

Thanks for the comments.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

43 ­ North
566 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 16, 2010 22:20 |  #6

Is it just me or in #6 is the outfit a little bit to "tight" ...... :D

MIKE - Flickr (external link)
7D Gripped ~ T2i Gripped ~ Canon 28-135mm ~ Canon 50mm 1.4 USM ~ Canon 24-70mm f2.8L ~ Canon 70-200mm f4L ~ Alien Bees B1600, B800x2, B400 ~ 580EX II ~ Event Trailer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
www.43northphotography​.com (external link)

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 16, 2010 22:57 |  #7

Love the first picture!

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 16, 2010 22:59 |  #8

Looks like theyre racing around chernobyl or something.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,253 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 17, 2010 08:15 |  #9

What series is this? I don't see it on the WCA (external link)web site?

Biffbradford wrote in post #9810827 (external link)
Yeah, the next two Sundays at the same place - Lakeview Industrial Park in Kenosha, Hwy 165 and 80th. Also a fun race at Blackhawk Farms raceway in S. Beloit on the 27th.

I believe there was a bit of heat coming off the road, plus that's a real tight crop. The riders were about 300 meters away at that point.

Re: that Sigma Lens. I like it's size and versatility but with the 40D I could never get a real sharp image. I could with the Canon 70 - 200mm f2.8 though. I'll keep working it with the 1D, see what it's capable of.

Thanks for the comments.

Biffbradford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 17, 2010 08:59 |  #10

It's ABR. http://www.ambikerace.​com …/KV_Race_Flyer_​2010_2.pdf (external link)

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,253 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 17, 2010 09:05 |  #11

Thanks

Tommy ­ B
38 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 19, 2010 21:41 |  #12

nice pics, but need to clean your sensor!!

http://kreativeshots.c​om (external link)
http://tommybphoto.com (external link)
1ds mark II , (2) 1d mark IIn , 400mm 2.8 ,16 -35mm , 70 x 200mm 2.8 , 100 x 400mm , 300mm 2.8 , 400mm 5.6 , 1x4 extender , gitzo carbon mono and tripods....etc....etc.​...

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,253 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 20, 2010 15:24 |  #13

John, Did they hold the race today, or was the weather too poor/slippery conditions?
Tom

Biffbradford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 20, 2010 17:10 |  #14

Tomorrow. I posted a question on ABR's Facebook which they frequent as to whether it's a go or not. No word yet, so I'm assuming it's a GO for tomorrow. Wear warm clothes cuz it's gonna be ugly! LOL Gonna feel like I'm shooting a ski race, not a bike race. :D

If they do cancel, I'll have that news posted on my new webpage HERE (external link).

sponsored links

1,315 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cycling Season Opener
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.