Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 11:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yes, another 5D II vs 7D thread

geoff5093
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 18, 2010 11:11 |  #1

I've searched and have read several threads on this very topic, but none seem to resemble my situation.

Right now I have a 50D with the lenses in my signature, I bought my 50D back in August but I already feel as if I'm pushing the limits of the camera and I'm left wanting more. I shoot a lot of sports, lately it's been all indoor so I've been using my 85 1.8 for everything since I need to push ISO3200 as it is, and without any NR images are extremely noisy, and with NR some get too soft for my liking. I plan on buying a 70-200 2.8 IS II as well, but as it is now I don't feel like I could use a 2.8 lens without pushing the ISO to 6400 or needing to increase exposure in PP.

I know that for sports the 7D really shines with it's 1.6 crop and fast burst, but I find that I rarely take burst shots and I usually leave my 50D in one-shot mode, so I think that high ISO performance is more important to me then FPS. However I also shoot outdoor portraits and I love landscape photography, and I know this is where the 5D II shines.

I guess I'm hoping to hear from some people that have a 5D II which they use for sports, and to see how they like it, or if they always find themselves going for their crop.

5D Mark III
Canon 24-70L II | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 35 1.4

sponsored links
james_in_baltimore
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 18, 2010 11:16 |  #2

Have you considered a used 1d III? That might be a good way to go, better high ISO, really good AF. I've seen them used for less than a 5d II is new.

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,429 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 18, 2010 11:18 |  #3

What kind of indoor sports? Besides 85mm f1.8 you have no good glass for sports. I would get better glass over getting a new body. I would even strobe the event if allowed and use older body like 1dmk2 which you can pick dirt cheap now a days.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

KinoC
524 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 18, 2010 11:31 |  #4

Geoff... I have a 5DMII and it performs very good at high ISO. I use both my 40D & 5DMII a few weeks ago on the same event (FARA event car racing) and after seen the pics I'm leaving my 40D inside the bag as a backup. I used my 5DMII in a volleyball event held indoors and the pics came out great. I don't use the burst that often but if I needed I will go after 1DMIII which is around the same price as the 5DMII... well a little more $$$.. IMHO.

KC
1Dx |5D MII | 7D|16-35 MII|24-70 MII|70-200 MII

RipRap
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 18, 2010 11:31 as a reply to  @ james_in_baltimore's post |  #5

Long time lurker, first time poster... and a noob.

I too am wondering about the 5D II vs the 7D. I keep reading that the 5D II is superior for landscapes, but I don't get it. My brother has a 7D and uses the Tokina 11-16 and the Canon 17-40L for landscapes. I have seen nothing less than stunning images from that combination. So how is it that the 5D II is considered "better" for landscapes? Would be appreciated if someone could explain why. And when you consider that the 7D has faster fps for sports or action, wouldn't that make it the better all around camera?

Just a little confused!!!

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 18, 2010 11:38 |  #6

If you need the extra reach of a crop frame sensor than the 7D might be better as it will capture more pixels in the same frame vs a full frame.

http://www.sphoto.com …lrsensors/dslrs​ensors.htm (external link)

The 5D will give you better low light performance and a wider field of view if you need it. But the 7D will more more of the latest features like wireless ETTL, 19pt cross type auto focus, zone AF, 8 frames burst rate and other stuff... But the 5D will give better low light performance and a wider field of view... did I already say that? It must be lunch time. Zzzzz

edit: actually the 7D is no slouch when it comes to high ISO. I find even at ISO 6400 the pictures are very usable especially if you're using them for the web.

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

geoff5093
THREAD ­ STARTER
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 18, 2010 11:51 |  #7

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #9821834 (external link)
Have you considered a used 1d III? That might be a good way to go, better high ISO, really good AF. I've seen them used for less than a 5d II is new.

I read in a few threads that people were suggesting that, but I must admit video does seem like a useful add-on, I may be able to sell my Canon HD camcorder for a few hundred to help recoup the losses :lol:

bobbyz wrote in post #9821847 (external link)
What kind of indoor sports? Besides 85mm f1.8 you have no good glass for sports. I would get better glass over getting a new body. I would even strobe the event if allowed and use older body like 1dmk2 which you can pick dirt cheap now a days.

Mainly basketball and wrestling. I realize the only lens I have for sports is the 85 1.8, hence why I said I am planning on buying a 70-200 2.8L IS II now that spring is here.

KinoC wrote in post #9821920 (external link)
Geoff... I have a 5DMII and it performs very good at high ISO. I use both my 40D & 5DMII a few weeks ago on the same event (FARA event car racing) and after seen the pics I'm leaving my 40D inside the bag as a backup. I used my 5DMII in a volleyball event held indoors and the pics came out great. I don't use the burst that often but if I needed I will go after 1DMIII which is around the same price as the 5DMII... well a little more $$$.. IMHO.

I would love to be able to have everything I need in one body, save some money too, but it doesn't seem to really be possible. I'm afraid that with the 5D II I won't be able to get in close enough without lots of cropping, unless I use my 70-200 indoors or buy a TC.

RipRap wrote in post #9821926 (external link)
Long time lurker, first time poster... and a noob.

I too am wondering about the 5D II vs the 7D. I keep reading that the 5D II is superior for landscapes, but I don't get it. My brother has a 7D and uses the Tokina 11-16 and the Canon 17-40L for landscapes. I have seen nothing less than stunning images from that combination. So how is it that the 5D II is considered "better" for landscapes? Would be appreciated if someone could explain why. And when you consider that the 7D has faster fps for sports or action, wouldn't that make it the better all around camera?

Just a little confused!!!

I'm kind of the same way, I hear that the 5D II is great for portraits and landscapes. I can understand for portraits because of the DOF difference between the two, but I'm not sure about the whole landscape thing either.

drumsfield wrote in post #9821974 (external link)
If you need the extra reach of a crop frame sensor than the 7D might be better as it will capture more pixels in the same frame vs a full frame.

http://www.sphoto.com …lrsensors/dslrs​ensors.htm (external link)

The 5D will give you better low light performance and a wider field of view if you need it. But the 7D will more more of the latest features like wireless ETTL, 19pt cross type auto focus, zone AF, 8 frames burst rate and other stuff... But the 5D will give better low light performance and a wider field of view... did I already say that? It must be lunch time. Zzzzz

edit: actually the 7D is no slouch when it comes to high ISO. I find even at ISO 6400 the pictures are very usable especially if you're using them for the web.

I've read up on some 7D comparisons and it does appear to be an improvement over the 50D in terms of ISO performance. If I use even ISO400 on my 50D I can easily see noise in dark areas of the photo, I pretty much have to leave it on ISO100-200 unless I want to mess around with NR in PP.

5D Mark III

roger767
190 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 18, 2010 11:58 |  #8

5DII sucks for sports. Why? slow and unreliable AF in burst mode. If you really want to track an athlete you need the AF from the 7D or 1D. You could get a 1D MII used, they are usually cheaper than the 7D. I don't know about the ISO quality of the 1D MII.
Or you could sell everything and buy a Nikon D700. It has great high ISO and a great AF system.

www.rogerschooneveld.n​l (external link)

Kris ­ Hansen
20 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 18, 2010 11:59 |  #9

Don't sell your camcorder. I have a 7D, and love it, but while the video quality is amazing, the body can not focus while recording, nor can it track a moving subject. Manual focus is the only option. Not great.

The 7D has impressive low light/high iso performance, and very fast and accurate (and flexible!) AF.

---------------
Kris Hansen
Canon Bodies - EOS 7D EOS30D EOS300D
Canon Lenses - 24-70 f/2.8L 70-200 f/2.8L
Sigma Lens - 10-20 EX

geoff5093
THREAD ­ STARTER
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 18, 2010 12:29 |  #10

I'm wondering if I should hold off on the body upgrade and just upgrade the lens, now that spring season is about to start and pretty much all the sports will be outdoors during the day until next winter.

Maybe by then the 5D III will be out :P

5D Mark III

Kris ­ Hansen
20 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 18, 2010 14:43 |  #11

it's all about the glass. Are you shooting RAW?

---------------
Kris Hansen
Canon Bodies - EOS 7D EOS30D EOS300D
Canon Lenses - 24-70 f/2.8L 70-200 f/2.8L
Sigma Lens - 10-20 EX

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,429 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 18, 2010 15:22 |  #12

For baskeball, strobing is better option. You can use 2 $100 hot shoe flashes. That will get you to shoot at max ISO800.

Regarding 1dmk2, it is only good till 1600. I have one and use it for night time football and was thinking of upgrading to 7d for higher ISO performance. Ended up picking used 5d as I got a nice deal but shooting action wise I prefer my 1dmk2 much much more. Not sure how much better AF on 5dmk2 is compared to old 5d.

I would look at used 1mk3 or 7d over 5dmk2 for sports.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 18, 2010 15:36 |  #13

Somebody on fred miranda had images to show the difference between 1DIII and a 7D.
Not much different at high iso.
7D - new AF algorithms
7D - additional mp for reach/crop-ability.
7D has better performance tracking/keeper rate: Some site was testing multiple bodies - it was around here on POTN somewhere.....

1DIII has the edge in build
1DIII has shutter life time edge 300K vs 150K. even though shutter in 7D is from 1D.

I would think either camera would be good.

Later,
_Mark

geoff5093
THREAD ­ STARTER
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 18, 2010 16:47 |  #14

Kris Hansen wrote in post #9823175 (external link)
it's all about the glass. Are you shooting RAW?

Yes. Looking back on my photos (link in my sig), they are pretty good for all being shot at 3200 ISO, since I mentioned before I'm going to be shooting mostly outdoors so I'll wait and see if there is any news on a 5D II replacement by next winter.

5D Mark III

iFloyd
439 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 18, 2010 17:02 |  #15

The 7D shines when I shoot sports, but I use my 5D MKII for landscape and portraits, which is what I normally do. If I travel, I just use the 5D as well. I just love the picture quality of the 5D MKII, esp with high ISO.

gear | flickr (external link) | blog (external link) | website (external link)

sponsored links

2,893 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yes, another 5D II vs 7D thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.