Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 15:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What should I do ... Tamron 17-50 vs Sigma 17-70

Siriusmuzik
318 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 20, 2010 15:13 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I can get the Sigma 17-70mm OS HSM Macro for the same price as the Tamron 17-50.

What should I get?

The Sigma seems to take BEAUTIFUL pictures and so does the Tamron. However the Sigma doubles as a macro + has OS.

What would you do!?

Thanks

Canon 7D| Canon 24-105mm F4L | Canon 50mm F1.8 II | Canon 85mm F1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm | Tamron 28-75mm | Canon 580EX II

sponsored links
theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 20, 2010 15:29 |  #2

It depends on what you're shooting, but I would probably say the 17-70 would be a more versatile lens.

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Siriusmuzik
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 20, 2010 15:31 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

theextremist04 wrote in post #9836256 (external link)
It depends on what you're shooting, but I would probably say the 17-70 would be a more versatile lens.

Thanks. I meant to ask ...

Which one has the better IQ?

the extra 20mm on the Sigma doesn't do much for me, but I'm liking that it has OS.

All the pictures I've seen from it looks very saturated with colors, and great IQ.

Canon 7D| Canon 24-105mm F4L | Canon 50mm F1.8 II | Canon 85mm F1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm | Tamron 28-75mm | Canon 580EX II

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 20, 2010 15:54 |  #4

I don't think the IQ is going to make big difference; the OS might. The macro on the 17-70 is really pretty nice; the Sigma is a good lens if you get a good copy.

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 20, 2010 16:01 |  #5

Ask yourself this, what is more important, constant aperture or OS+HSM (although it seems to be micromotor HSM, not ring HSM).

IQ wise the Tamron 17-50 is suppose to be even better than the Canon 17-55 IS USM. I haven't used the Tamron so I can't say how good the autofocus is.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Leonid ­ Photography
715 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 20, 2010 16:29 |  #6

themadman wrote in post #9836407 (external link)
Ask yourself this, what is more important, constant aperture or OS+HSM (although it seems to be micromotor HSM, not ring HSM).

IQ wise the Tamron 17-50 is suppose to be even better than the Canon 17-55 IS USM. I haven't used the Tamron so I can't say how good the autofocus is.

I was considering the same two lenses as you are. I went with the tamron and i love the constant aperture. This is one of the things that is not offered with the sigma.

The auto focus of the tamron is pretty quick but sometimes a little loud for some people. I shoot cars, so it does not bother me.

Only thing is that sometimes I find 50mm a little short at times on a walk around lens.

Canon 6D, Canon 50mm 1.8 STM
YN568-II, YN560-III, YN460

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 20, 2010 18:48 |  #7

I also went with the Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-vc
very sharp even at f2.8, I found you don't need IS in that focal range

Siriusmuzik
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 20, 2010 18:52 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks guys.

After thinking and reading a bit, I decided the Tamron is for me. Seems like it has sharper IQ and the constant 2.8 is nice also.

sponsored links

2,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
What should I do ... Tamron 17-50 vs Sigma 17-70
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.