Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 15:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D's focus pts - same as 40D??!! (says manual)

trale
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 20, 2010 15:58 |  #1

Hi All! Long time lurker here, 1st time post... and unfortunately it had to start with a confusing issue.

Here's something I ran into that I just find perplexing. The 7D is hyped as having an all new focus system with all 19pts being cross type sensors, all of them are the same, blah blah blah, but I check the 7D manual, and the description under the section "Lens’ Maximum Aperture and AF Sensitivity" on page 91 says the following:

7D manual wrote:
[With lenses whose maximum aperture is larger than f/5.6]

With all AF points, cross-type AF sensitive to both vertical and
horizontal lines is possible.

[With lenses whose maximum aperture is larger than f/2.8*]

With the center AF point, high-precision, cross-type AF sensitive to both
vertical and horizontal lines is possible. The center AF point’s sensitivity
to vertical and horizontal lines is about twice as sensitive as the other
AF points.

The remaining 18 AF points will work as cross-type points with lenses
brighter than f/5.6.

Unless I'm interpreting this wrong, this is saying the center point is STILL the most sensitive point, and if I'm using a lens like the 50mm 1.4, I should still stick to the center pt if I want the most accuracy.

And I thought to myself... wait a minute, that sounds like the same as the 40D. So then I opened open my 40D manual, and on page 79, the description is EXACTLY the same, word for word.

What's going on? Did someone at Canon goofed up when writing the manual? If the 7D manual is wrong, where can I go to find correct info on the 7D's focus points? I hope to God it isn't the same as the 40D (it better be damn well in a different league)

sponsored links
mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 20, 2010 16:09 |  #2

IMAGE: http://i39.tinypic.com/2rotf0l.png

IMAGE: http://i39.tinypic.com/3358g00.png

They are all cross-type, but that's not the thing that makes it a better AF system than the 40D. Diagonal arrangement, new AF processor, more points etc.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 20, 2010 16:23 |  #3

The 40D has 9 cross type, the 7D has 19 cross type plus zone selection and a bunch of other fancy dealy dos, 40D's af is not even close to the 7D's

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 20, 2010 16:25 |  #4

I shot a high school baseball game yesterday with the 7D and Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 Some shots wee taken with a 1.4x TC added to make the lens 168-420mm. It was my first real outing with the camera since it arrived a few days ago.

I used some of the settings similar to the 1D MK III I have been using.
Center auto focus point with the others being helpers (forgot the terminology).
AI-Servo.
Focusing sensitivity set to slow.

During the game, I didn't hesitate to use the other focus points so as to help with image composition. I would use an offset point so I could focus on the batters upper body or face yet leave room out front for the anticipated swing of the bat. Everything seemed to work well. The images look pretty good and for that I am happy.

I only shot one game. For the other 5, I used the 1D. I wanted to be able to take a good look at the pics and see how I did and not ruin the assignment.
Hope this helps.
Mike

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

paradiddleluke
Goldmember
3,594 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 20, 2010 16:27 |  #5

the 7D also has more coverage using those 19 points and you can select a grouping of points to use. Center point will most likely always be the most accurate point but that does not at all make it the same as a 40D af system

Website (external link) | Chicago Actor Headshots (external link) | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link)
- Luke S -

trale
THREAD ­ STARTER
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 20, 2010 16:47 |  #6

Thanks guys, especially mrkgoo! That went a long way to quelling my initial reaction after reading the exact same descriptions in both camera manuals. It certainly was misleading.

So basically, each focusing point on the 7D is "better" than the corresponding the point on the 40D, due to the complex system augmenting each AF pt - the dedicated processor, etc. However, the 7D center point is still superior to all the rest, but it doesn't make the other focus points useless.

Is that a fair assessment?

About the f/2.8 and f/5.6 sensors, when I'm using a lens whose max aperture is 2.8 or greater (for example the 17-55mm F2.8), basically ALL 19 sensors have the same sensitivity. But when I use the 50mm F1.4, the center point is especially sensitive. Do I have this right?

sponsored links

1,366 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D's focus pts - same as 40D??!! (says manual)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.