Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Mar 2010 (Monday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gitzo Tripod/Head Help

Michael15
399 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2010 10:00 |  #1

Well I made a mistake and went with a cheapo for my first tripod....A recent trip out to Anza-Borrega desert almost prove to be a disaster as my tripod just failed... I'm ready to do it right this time and have done some searches on threads posted in this section and have at least determined that I will go with a Gitzo. Here is my setup and what I will be shooting.

-1dMkIIn, 70-200f2.8, 300 f2.8, possible 500 f4, 17-40l.

-I like doing a ton of sports stuff and have a gitzo mono for most of that. I'm also getting into macro and portrait photography.

- I'm planning on purchasing a 500 or at least renting one a few times this year so I'd like the tripod/head combo to be able to manage that.

- I'm also planning on doing some moderate hiking in Colorado for landscapes, macro and maybe some wildlife.

- I've read up on the Gitzo 35xx series...not sure if I need the center leg. I'm 5'8.

- I've also looked at the Markins M20....just want to make sure its not to much overkill.

I'm trying to get one tripod that will cover 90% of the situations described above. Hopefully I can do that. Thanks for the suggestions.

My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2010 13:37 |  #2

Given the lenses you intend to use, the minimum would be a 3 series Gitzo. The 3541LS would probably suit you well. The M20 would be a good complement to it. The only consideration is whether you will need a Wimberely gimbal setup. This would come in quite handy when using the 500. You can use a Sidekick if a full gimbal is not what you want.

Jim

My Gear

Michael15
THREAD ­ STARTER
399 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2010 13:50 |  #3

jhom wrote in post #9848165 (external link)
Given the lenses you intend to use, the minimum would be a 3 series Gitzo. The 3541LS would probably suit you well. The M20 would be a good complement to it. The only consideration is whether you will need a Wimberely gimbal setup. This would come in quite handy when using the 500. You can use a Sidekick if a full gimbal is not what you want.

Thanks. When I looked at the Markins website they have the M20 holding a 800mm nikon. Not sure how stable that would be. I have no idea what a "Sidekick" is though??

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Mar 22, 2010 13:57 |  #4

Do you want 3 legs or 4? If folded size is a concern, go for the 3541 otherwise, you'll get more stability and quicker to use, with the 3531.

Michael15
THREAD ­ STARTER
399 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2010 14:06 |  #5

Todd Lambert wrote in post #9848313 (external link)
Do you want 3 legs or 4? If folded size is a concern, go for the 3541 otherwise, you'll get more stability and quicker to use, with the 3531.

When you say 4 legs your referring to the center leg? I really don't know if I will need as the tripod will be tall enough as is. Does it add significant stability?

Quizzical_Squirrel
489 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 22, 2010 14:11 |  #6

I'm 5'6" and use the 3531 and the height is fine for me

Todd's referring to the leg sections - you'll be needing to choose between the stability advantage of three leg section version (3531) versus the smaller fold-up size of the four leg section version (3541)

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 22, 2010 14:47 |  #7

I agree that you want a tripod with at least a 8+kg (18lb) capacity. Each manufacture measures these numbers totally differently, so they are very approximate. The issue is if your head is not robust enough it won't hold a large lens securely (slip), and if the tripod too flimsy it will visibly flex with that much weight making it hard to compose.

I agree with a 500/f4 or larger lens that a Wimberley sidekick should be contemplated at some point, but for sports which happen on mostly a horizontal plane, it may not be necessary. A caution when using this with a Markins or other ballhead where the clamp is held on with just locktight. The sidekick can act as a lever arm and tend to loosen the clamp screw from the ballhead stem. Some designs like RRS have an internal tab to prevent clamp rotation even if the ballhead stem screw loosens.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Mar 22, 2010 15:23 |  #8

Yes, Squirrel has it right.. I meant leg sections, not legs... sorry.

I went with the 3531 because I liked not having to have another section of legs to deal with each time setting up and breaking down. It's 3 less turns you have to do.

I am 5' 9" and have no problems with the 3531.

Michael15
THREAD ­ STARTER
399 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2010 15:33 as a reply to  @ Todd Lambert's post |  #9

Thanks.

So the Wimbley is a whole diff piece of equipment than the Markins M20? The sidekick connects to the M20? Sorry if this is another rehash...Anyone have pics??

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2010 15:50 |  #10

Michael15 wrote in post #9848988 (external link)
Thanks.

So the Wimbley is a whole diff piece of equipment than the Markins M20? The sidekick connects to the M20? Sorry if this is another rehash...Anyone have pics??

Yes, the Wimberley gimbal is a whole different piece of equipment that you mount on to the tripod for the super tele lenses. Here is a link to them: http://www.tripodhead.​com/ (external link)

Depending on the long lens, you may what to use a Sidekick instead of a full gimbal. The Sidekick will mount on to a ballhead.

The Wimberley makes super teles much easier to use.

Here is a shot of my Gitzo 3541LS with a full Wimberley gimbal:

IMAGE: http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4139/wimberley3541ls.jpg

Jim

My Gear

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 22, 2010 16:51 |  #11

Wimberley sidekick

http://www.tripodhead.​com/products/sidekick-main.cfm (external link)

The ball head is in the groove and the ball head pan control is for L/R movement, while the sidekick pivot is for the up/down pivot. Both the sidekick and the full Wimberley head require the use of Arca Swiss style plates (on the lens foot and/or camera) and clamps (for the tripod head) from a manufacture like Kirk, Wimberley, Real Right Stuff, Acratech or several other suppliers.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

Michael15
THREAD ­ STARTER
399 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 22, 2010 16:51 as a reply to  @ jhom's post |  #12

Thank you!

sponsored links

3,399 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gitzo Tripod/Head Help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.