Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Mar 2010 (Monday) 14:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

broken 40D/ loyalty upgrade to 50D?

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 22, 2010 14:31 |  #1

So my trusty ol' 40D is officially out of commission and canon's "estimate" says $330 to fix it, even though they haven't looked at what is wrong with it yet.
upon further inquiry, apparently this cost is to really just open it up and diagnose the problem, and then fix if its easy and obvious. could be more if something important needs to be replaced.
seems high, but it is what it is I guess. So I asked about the loyalty options to "trade in" the broken 40D and basically I could get a refurbed 50D for $660 under the loyalty program.

I've used both bodies, so I am pretty familiar with what upgrades I'd be getting for the $330 premium.
to me the cropability, better liveview and micro adjustments are the real sellers, but i'm not 100% sure if its worth the extra $.
if i was trading in a broken 30D i think it'd be a no brainer for these costs, but the 50D wasn't that big of a jump from the 40D.

i've been doing some serious thinking about it and honestly think that if i just get the 40D back to where it's working, its only a matter of time and something else is going to wear out.
i'm probably half way through the shutter life anyhow. the camera wouldn't turn on, so i couldn't check before i sent it in. But part of me would rather use that extra $300+ and put it towards a new lens. so i'm kind of torn.

so anyway, i'm probably just going to bite the bullet and get the refurbed 50D because i think it makes more sense in my situation, but has anybody else had the same problems/dilemma?

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links
MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2010 14:49 |  #2

I have the 40D and 50D. I always use my 50D. The better useable LCD is the big thing for me. I make myself use the 40D sometimes but really hate it because of the LCD. The microadjust has enabled me to adjust non Canon lenses to be spot on. I will end up replacing the 40D this year and I wouldn't think twice about getting another 50D.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 22, 2010 15:00 |  #3

If you assume that you zero camera now. For $330 you get a camera worth $500 used. Thats a $170 profit if you sold it the next day. If you get the refurb, you are out $660 for a camera while its better is a few ways isnt a substantial upgrade over the 40D. If you found a used 40D on craigslist tomorrow for $330, you'd snag it in a heartbeat.

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2010 15:17 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #4

That's assuming it won't cost you more than the $330 to open it. Remember, you mentioned it may cost more.

How many actuations do you have on the 40D? You said you're about halfway through the life. I'm guessing a refurb has the shutter refurbed/replaced as well? If so, you're getting a camera with 0 actuations on the shutter for a very good price.

What kind of deal will they give you on a 7D? Now THAT would be worth the upgrade for sure...

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 22, 2010 15:45 as a reply to  @ GadgetRick's post |  #5

yeah, i asked about a 7D but no luck, they aren't offering any of those yet. I would love a second one, but don't really NEED it. and they sure wouldn't offer them for only $660 refurbed.

i assume the refurbed 50D would show up with 0 actuations, because i've heard other's have. but then again that's just assuming.

I think my 40D was probably in the 4-50,000 shutter actuations area.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 22, 2010 15:48 |  #6

gonzogolf wrote in post #9848761 (external link)
If you assume that you zero camera now. For $330 you get a camera worth $500 used. Thats a $170 profit if you sold it the next day. If you get the refurb, you are out $660 for a camera while its better is a few ways isnt a substantial upgrade over the 40D. If you found a used 40D on craigslist tomorrow for $330, you'd snag it in a heartbeat.

how much are used 50Ds going for, i haven't really seen any on my local craigslist or anything. but it would have to be more than $660? refurb's are listed at $899.

but i'm not selling either camera, whatever comes back from canon is going to get used :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 22, 2010 15:53 |  #7

I havent seen any used 50D's either. My math was simply based on getting you back in the game for less. I understand the reluctance to spend new money on something you already paid for. But thats almost double out of your pocket for a very minor upgrade.

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 22, 2010 15:56 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #8

Yes, you are very right. and when i look at it that way i think i should just get the 40D back and be happy. lol

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 22, 2010 16:02 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #9

i would switch my 40D for a 50D for 300$

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 22, 2010 16:45 |  #10

borism wrote in post #9849178 (external link)
i would switch my 40D for a 50D for 300$

yeah, I think i would too. even though it's my "second" camera it is in no way a backup, i use it just as much as my 7D. And when my fiance and I go out shooting, we each take a body and i'd rather that both of my cameras have the upgraded screen/liveview when we are out shooting landscapes and whatnot too.

I think i'm just going to pull the trigger on the $300 upgrade

it's too bad I even had to send the 40D in though! I miss that camera at the moment.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 22, 2010 16:50 |  #11

do the trade in thing. If you dont like it, trade it for a 40d + cash.

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 22, 2010 17:22 |  #12

^^^^ THat is what I would do...you can always sell the 50D for a newer/less used 40D+Cash...it is a lot to go through..but if you are not entirely happy with the 50D,that is your solution.

Just my 2 cents..

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

siwatkins
48 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 23, 2010 03:39 |  #13

I went from the 40D to the 50D and never looked back. It's a better camera all round in my view, and definitely worth the small difference in cost you've been quoted. It also defers some obsolescence for you - the 50D is obviously still very much a current camera.

Ecosse
57 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2010 03:43 |  #14

cccc wrote in post #9849483 (external link)
do the trade in thing. If you dont like it, trade it for a 40d + cash.

This=Best Idea

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2010 06:48 as a reply to  @ Ecosse's post |  #15

thanks guys, that's def. what i'm going to do then!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links

3,617 views & 0 likes for this thread
broken 40D/ loyalty upgrade to 50D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.