Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Mar 2010 (Monday) 22:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cokin Filters

m.d.harper
275 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 22, 2010 22:40 |  #1

I have an opportunity to purchase a pretty big set of Cokin filters. Does anyone have any experience with these? Good or bad. Don't want to spend $200 on something fellow photogs wouldn't use themselves.

sponsored links
argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 23, 2010 06:30 |  #2

It depends on the type of filters. You basically only need three filter types for digital photography (well, maybe four if you include protective filters but I'm not going there). The three types are polarizer, neutral density (ND), and graduated neutral density (GND).

The rest of the bunch, colored filters and "gimmicky filters" (soft focus, starburst, etc), can be duplicated in photoshop are aren't really necessary. Cokin neutral density filters (ND and GND) are not really "neutral" and have been known to impart a color cast on the images. Most photographers that I know, including myself, stay away from them. But like anything else, YMMV.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2010 10:59 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #3

According to a test carried out a couple of years ago by a UK photo magazine (AP), Cokin filters colour castes in their "grey" filters were no worse than other, much more expensive "high-end" marques and were actually better than a lot.

Apparently there were NO neutral density filters that were actually neutral, from anyone at all!

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

nduralt
126 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 23, 2010 12:26 |  #4

I'd be interested in seeing this article Lowner, I also shoot video and have a matte box so any release on filter qualities is something that excites me.

ND

7D w/BG-E7 || 50D (Naked) || 480EX || Sigma 24-70 || Canon 70-200 2.8 IS || Canon 50 1.4 || Several kit lenses || TC-80N3 || SanDisk Extreme || Lexar Professional || Redrock Micro Cinema Kit || Manfrotto 190XPROB W/804RC2 || Manfrotto 501HDV+525MVB Pro Video Kit with 520BA || (Internet Marketer 1st, Photographer 2nd, Videographer 3rd) SEO Toronto (external link), Internet Marketing Toronto (external link), Digital Marketing Toronto (external link).

DragonDan
316 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2010 12:51 as a reply to  @ nduralt's post |  #5

This is one of the first photos I took with a Cokin P filter. It was a 2-step grad ND.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Canon EOS 50D gripped; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8; ∑30mm f/1.4; ∑105mm macro; 70-200mm f/4L; 430EX II

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 23, 2010 13:25 |  #6

DragonDan wrote in post #9855045 (external link)
This is one of the first photos I took with a Cokin P filter. It was a 2-step grad ND.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Yep - that's about typical of what people I know experience using Cokins. Shooting with a solid, not a grad, and AWB can mask the colour shift in your JPEGs though. This shot of the Washington Monument was with a (3 stop?) Singh-Ray grad, just demonstrating what grads do, for MDJAK at a DC meet-up.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

nduralt
126 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 23, 2010 13:27 |  #7

Nice picture although the composition seems a bit off, maybe if the people were a little more on the 1/3? You could always crop it for that.

7D w/BG-E7 || 50D (Naked) || 480EX || Sigma 24-70 || Canon 70-200 2.8 IS || Canon 50 1.4 || Several kit lenses || TC-80N3 || SanDisk Extreme || Lexar Professional || Redrock Micro Cinema Kit || Manfrotto 190XPROB W/804RC2 || Manfrotto 501HDV+525MVB Pro Video Kit with 520BA || (Internet Marketer 1st, Photographer 2nd, Videographer 3rd) SEO Toronto (external link), Internet Marketing Toronto (external link), Digital Marketing Toronto (external link).

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2010 13:54 |  #8

nduralt,

I'm sure if you look through "Amateur Photographers" archived articles on their web site, or even emailed and asked them they could turn it up.

Richard

nduralt
126 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 23, 2010 14:00 |  #9

Sounds good, I'll do that. thanks for the lead! Using the lees right now and performance is great.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 23, 2010 14:09 |  #10

DragonDan wrote in post #9855045 (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

And the magenta cast from Cokins is very obvious. Maybe there's a problem from batch-to-batch with filters from different manufacturers, who knows, but I've used Hitech grads for several years, and have just recently switched over to Lee (no problem with Hitech, got a set of Lees as a gift)...never had any obvious color cast with Hitechs. Not trying to disparage Cokin by any means, but the cast in your image is pretty much representative of what the Cokins are/were known for.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2010 15:24 |  #11

I use Cokin "grey grads" and just don't see similar colour casts in my own images. Heres a 2 stop grad of my own, its not an image I'm particularly proud of because it has its faults, but while there are colour shades in the sky its pretty close overall to neutral.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Richard

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 23, 2010 18:59 |  #12

Was that a panorama or a crop? And how much post-processing did you do to get those greens popping like they are? Boosting green would kill a magenta cast.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

terry_glover
83 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 01, 2010 12:34 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #13

The following picture wes taken with a Cokin two stop soft edge GND. Other than scaling it down it is right out of the camera.
I do not see any magenta colour cast in any of the images I have taken with Cokin GND filters. I suspect that they have a quality control issue
and the filters vary from batch to batch.

Terry

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/5131491105_1e6e9d51a4_b.jpg

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 01, 2010 17:58 |  #14

Do you have an unfiltered comparison shot, exposed for the sky, to compare? I see a magenta cast in the clouds. The foreground's so dark it's hard to tell whether there was any there or not, but the ripples on the water look clean.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

sponsored links

2,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cokin Filters
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.