Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

best memory card for the XS?

Octowl
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2010 14:54 |  #1

im not to picky for the size (atleast a 8gb) but i like doing continous shooting and my car currently i think...cannot keep up and after awhile will stop taking pictures even after my hand is still on the button. my card is not full and most if not all options are turned off to speed up. any ideas suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

also since im already asking what type of tripod is good? what materials? CF? i like carbon fiber.....lol (once i buy the 70-200 f4L, the brick) im going to be in the market for a light weight tripod preferably something that is tall enough for me i am 6 foot 5 inchs and would hate to learn over every time id like to take an image...is there even a tripod that will reach 6 feet? it sounds kind of farfetched :(

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

Mocows
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 23, 2010 15:03 |  #2

My XSi does well with class 6 cards. I own a lexar class 6 (gold one) and a panasonic class 6 (8GB both). Note that if you fill the buffer and the card is already being written to, you will have to wait, doesn't matter if the card is full or not, you've hit the limit of how fast your camera can write the buffer out to the card.

http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …ti_page.asp?cid​=6007-9424 (external link)

I'm guessing the XS and the XSi are about the same, so you can probably write 1-2 raw shot a second or so, there is your bottleneck.

7D | XSi + Phottix Grip | 400 F/5.6 | 70-200 F/4 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 |430ex | Horusbennu C-2830V | Photo Clam PC-33
flickr gallery (external link)

Octowl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2010 20:49 as a reply to  @ Mocows's post |  #3

even with like 60 mb/s? cuz my card is 4gb sandisk ultra II with 15mb/s.....booooo lol

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

Mocows
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 24, 2010 09:21 |  #4

60MB/s on a sdhc? Did you by chance read that speed off a CF card (Think the max right now is 90MB/s on a CF)? Even the newest sdhx only say 15MB/s.

On a 7D with 40MB/s, you'll still reach the buffer limit pretty fast with 18MP raw files.

7D | XSi + Phottix Grip | 400 F/5.6 | 70-200 F/4 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 |430ex | Horusbennu C-2830V | Photo Clam PC-33
flickr gallery (external link)

LaaG
32 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 25, 2010 13:52 as a reply to  @ Mocows's post |  #5

The camera can only write to the card at around 6MB/s so even getting the fastest card available wont make any difference.

Sandisk Extreme II or III or around 200x would be more then enough.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

848 views & 0 likes for this thread
best memory card for the XS?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.