Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 09:48
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Would you be excited for a Canon Digital Rangefinder?"
Meh. (indifferent)
25%
Not excited at all.
22.6%
Kind of excited and interested...
32.1%
SIGN ME UP FOR 7!!!
20.2%

84 voters, 84 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How excited would you be if Canon announced a "Digital Canonet"?

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 25, 2010 09:48 |  #1

So, POTN, how excited would you be if Canon announced a "Digital Canonet"? Like - as some have suggested - a "Poor Man's Leica" - in a manner of speaking.

I know that personally I would be all over that :oops::oops::oops:

Edit: I just wanted to expand on what was a meager post with not much explanation at all.

The Canonets were 35mm rangefinder compact cameras, with fixed focal length, fast-aperture lenses. Canon released a few different versions, and they were aimed at a 'middle' market - people who wanted light, quality rangefinders but were not willing to shell out for Leicas.

To clarify my original thread-starter - my question was and still is: If Canon announced a digital rangefinder with a fixed, fast-aperture lens, with a similar build and build-style to their 1960/70s Canonets (really compact and light), would or would you not shell out an appropriate amount of money for one of said digital rangefinder.

Canon may or may not have intended for the G-series cameras to be a replacement for their Canonets. If they did - then in my opinion they did not do a terribly good job. The small sensor is a killer, especially for high-ISO shots: A full-frame sensor on the proposed Digital Canonet is not necessary - and in fact may make it too expensive - IMO an APS-C sensor would be adequate. The G11 also has a relatively dim zoom lens compared to the Canonets, they had sharp and bright (<f/2.0) fixed focal length lenses.

TL;DR , what I'm essentially asking for is a digital rangefinder on the budget that looks, feels, and shoots like a Canonet (external link).

The G11 is an excellent compact and will continue to serve many satisfied customers who are looking what it provides. However, it is not - in my opinion - a digital Canonet rangefinder, by any stretch of the imagination.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 25, 2010 12:18 |  #2

I think a sort of rangefinder camera would fit nicely into the Canon lineup. With the 7D possibly replacing the xxD series, and the Rebels becoming more powerful every year, this could fit the hole nicely for a camera priced a little higher then the Rebel, or cancel the Rebel (as we know it) and make them a little better (like a D90) and have the rangefinder and entry level EOS camera.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 25, 2010 12:29 |  #3

YES!!! My dream camera.

My idea of what it should be:

$500
45mm equivalent f1.9 lens (like the old ones)
viewfinder - optical or digital as long as it is built in.
APS-C sensor.
Hot shoe.
720p video

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

rogazilla
372 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 25, 2010 12:54 |  #4

^ what he said

<$600

Maybe another line of lens? EF-X with adaptor that would accept EF-S and EF?

otherwise 45mm but f1.4 instead? I know not much difference but it is 2010 :)

APS-C sensor, hot shoe and most importantly
built in VF.

Roger
My Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 25, 2010 13:44 |  #5

Canonet had a fixed lens. I think to make a reasonable price point and size they should stick with that.

Taylor

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 25, 2010 16:08 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #6

You guys mean something like this? http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP2/index.html (external link)

At B&H: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_DP2_Digital_Ca​mera_.html (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 25, 2010 16:23 |  #7

Yeah, just like the DP2, only good.

Taylor

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,926 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 25, 2010 18:44 |  #8

I guess I'm missing something here.

Why on earth would I want a rangefinder on an autofocus camera? Viewfinder, sure - but we already have those. My wife's A620, for example.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 25, 2010 19:22 |  #9

tkbslc wrote in post #9870425 (external link)
Yeah, just like the DP2, only good.

Actually, the DP2 is quite good. Its IQ is certainly head and shoulders above any conventional zoomless P&S.

Lani ­ Kai
"blissfully unaware"
2,132 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 25, 2010 19:42 |  #10

number six wrote in post #9871313 (external link)
I guess I'm missing something here.

Why on earth would I want a rangefinder on an autofocus camera? Viewfinder, sure - but we already have those. My wife's A620, for example.

-js

The Contax G1/G2 implemented this very idea; however the double image was not visible in the viewfinder so you can't tell if something is actually in focus. You just have to rely on the distance information that is displayed on the LCD inside the viewfinder.

SmugMug | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/kohei.photo"]F​acebook | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/KoheiNakamura"]Twit​ter | [URL="http://gplus.to/​koheinakamura"]Google+ | [URL="http://500px.com​/KoheiNakamura"]500pxexternal link Equipment list | Colorburnexternal link
Founder, Canon Digital Photographyexternal link group on Facebook

darosk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 25, 2010 22:21 |  #11

Not a rangefinder. Not banging on it though, it's a nice cam.

Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 25, 2010 23:04 |  #12

20droger wrote in post #9871556 (external link)
Actually, the DP2 is quite good. Its IQ is certainly head and shoulders above any conventional zoomless P&S.

Yeah, but it isn't quite near a DSLR for speed or high ISO noise, which is what I would want.

Taylor

chopperdave
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 26, 2010 00:25 |  #13

well unless i can use all theses FD lenses I have on my Olympus EP2 I won't care haha

David
davidmoorephoto.com (external link)
racecarshots.com (external link)
I feel like I've gone back in time.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 26, 2010 00:56 |  #14

chopperdave wrote in post #9873091 (external link)
well unless i can use all theses FD lenses I have on my Olympus EP2 I won't care haha

The point of the Canonet is simplicity and compactness - I think a new lens mount would ruin it. Just need a nice sharp fast fixed prime. At least on my version. ;)

IMAGE: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1966-1975/outline/1972_netg3-19.jpg

Taylor

darosk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 26, 2010 02:11 |  #15

tkbslc wrote in post #9873214 (external link)
The point of the Canonet is simplicity and compactness - I think a new lens mount would ruin it. Just need a nice sharp fast fixed prime. At least on my version. ;)

QUOTED IMAGE

Yeah I'm with tkb. The whole point of the original Canonets was that they were meant to be simple, efficient, and compact. They were smaller and lighter than other popular rangefinders of the time, and IMO the fixed lenses are to the advantage of the Canonet.

Gear

sponsored links

4,619 views & 0 likes for this thread
How excited would you be if Canon announced a "Digital Canonet"?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.