Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

African Essentials

Eclyps19
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 25, 2010 17:47 |  #1

I'll be traveling to Africa in about 5 months. My gear is limited, so I plan on renting a Bigma or 100-400. Because I'll be out in the wilderness for days at a time while taking thousands upon thousands of pictures, how do I best prepare? I can estimate that I will only have access to power once every 2 days over a 7 day period.

Solar chargers? Some type of battery powered external storage device with a built in card reader (can't think of the name off the top of my head :()? A hard case rather than my Canon soft backpack? How many batteries/gigs would you recommend? I'm scared S&*@less about being in the middle of a safari and running on my last battery, but I don't have unlimited funds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Canon 30D | Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 380 EX Flash

sponsored links
DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 25, 2010 17:53 |  #2

Eclyps19 wrote in post #9870929 (external link)
I'll be traveling to Africa in about 5 months. My gear is limited, so I plan on renting a Bigma or 100-400. Because I'll be out in the wilderness for days at a time while taking thousands upon thousands of pictures, how do I best prepare? I can estimate that I will only have access to power once every 2 days over a 7 day period.

Solar chargers? Some type of battery powered external storage device with a built in card reader (can't think of the name off the top of my head :()? A hard case rather than my Canon soft backpack? How many batteries/gigs would you recommend? I'm scared S&*@less about being in the middle of a safari and running on my last battery, but I don't have unlimited funds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What type of Safari? A camping Safari? Lodge? (This will make a HUGE difference in your planning)

I took the 100-400 for a lens...that worked wonders. I think it's a little brighter than the Bigma. (every fraction of an F/STOP helps - I had to shoot some leopards at 3200 due to early morning).

Looking forward to hearing back.

Eclyps19
THREAD ­ STARTER
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 25, 2010 17:58 |  #3

I'm pretty sure it's mostly lodge, but some of the pictures I've looked at show something more like a big tent with beds inside.

Canon 30D | Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 380 EX Flash

DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 25, 2010 18:05 |  #4

Cyruz's thread when he was going:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=654033

Chris Newland's thread:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=556229

My thread inquring about shooting in humidity:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=691829

My final - heading out thread: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=696744

My Thread:

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 25, 2010 18:05 |  #5

You are gonna rent for 5 months? Thats prolly gonna cost more than just buying it...

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 25, 2010 18:08 |  #6

Eclyps19 wrote in post #9871007 (external link)
I'm pretty sure it's mostly lodge, but some of the pictures I've looked at show something more like a big tent with beds inside.

Most lodges have power until 11pm or midnight. I would suggest 3 batteries (personally)

That way you can run one down to zero and have it charge while having two good batteries.

Bring LOTS of CF cards. I copied from CF card to small netbook every night and left the images on the CARDS. Keep them separate from your laptop at ALL TIMES. One gets stolen/water damaged/crushed, the chances are better that the other will survive.

NUMBER your CARDS.... use them in order. Only wipe one when you hit the end and need to start recycling.

Where are you going?

DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 25, 2010 18:09 |  #7

themadman wrote in post #9871061 (external link)
You are gonna rent for 5 months? Thats prolly gonna cost more than just buying it...

LOL... he's going _IN_ 5 mos not _FOR_ 5 mos. :)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 25, 2010 18:12 |  #8

DragonSpeed wrote in post #9871077 (external link)
LOL... he's going _IN_ 5 mos not _FOR_ 5 mos. :)

oooo.... I see... that had me confused...

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Eclyps19
THREAD ­ STARTER
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 25, 2010 18:51 |  #9

DragonSpeed wrote in post #9871070 (external link)
Most lodges have power until 11pm or midnight. I would suggest 3 batteries (personally)

That way you can run one down to zero and have it charge while having two good batteries.

Bring LOTS of CF cards. I copied from CF card to small netbook every night and left the images on the CARDS. Keep them separate from your laptop at ALL TIMES. One gets stolen/water damaged/crushed, the chances are better that the other will survive.

NUMBER your CARDS.... use them in order. Only wipe one when you hit the end and need to start recycling.

Where are you going?

Botswana for 7 days, Durban for 2 days, Zululand for 3 days.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 26, 2010 07:42 |  #10

Eclyps19 wrote in post #9871007 (external link)

You should be fine for electrickery in all those places. I'd take 3 or 4 batteries (Sterlingtek are so cheap it you may as well get a few).

Storage is more of a problem. I take at least three CF cards, even though the largest is enough for a full day's shooting. For my next trip to Namibia I'll be taking 32MB and 2x16MB. At the end of the day I backup to a Hyperdrive Colorspace and a netbook. I also backup to a friend's Hyperdrive and she puts a copy of her pix onto mine (as well as her own and a Jobo GigaVu). That way we each have three copies of all the images we've shot.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

wanyc
256 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 26, 2010 09:31 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #11

Make sure you get the appropriate adapters for the plugs to charge everything. Some of the camps/lodges supply them but I would make sure to take a couple with me just in case. If your tents are mobile rather than permanent tented camp, then bring a charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter for charging while in the vehicle. I would not bring a hard case because they can be problematic if your trip includes any small planes. I have found backpacks to be the best for getting onto the planes without a problem and also in the safari vehicle. Bring lots of ziploc bags to protect your gear from dust.

Eclyps19
THREAD ­ STARTER
219 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 26, 2010 10:33 |  #12

dust... yes... major problem, I assume. I'm worried about my lens of choice, because I'll be stuck with it for pretty much all of my shots on the safaris. If I ever want to photograph something relatively close, such as a group or tribespeople or something, I don't want to be stuck with a minimum of 100mm.

This might be best left to my other thread, but if you were stuck with a single lens on your camera for an entire safari, would you rather be stuck with a bigma or a 100-400? The range of the bigma is much nicer, 50-500, but from what I hear, the IQ of the 100-400 is a bit sharper. Do I sacrifice wide range for a slight drop in IQ or the other way around?

Would you suggest ziplock bagging everything before placing it in my backpack? Should I have any sort of protection on my camera while using it?

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,316 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 26, 2010 10:35 |  #13

Eclyps19 wrote in post #9871355 (external link)
Botswana for 7 days, Durban for 2 days, Zululand for 3 days.

i shot 50 gigs of RAW files in 10 days with my 1d mark III. i also had a back-up camera (30d). lenses were 100-400L, 16-35LII and 50 1.4. we had very strict weight limits.

i'd take a monopod, a storage/viewing device, enough cards so you don't have to ever erase and make sure to have a universal plug adapter. many of the plugs i used were very loose so you'll have to get creative to make sure your device is getting juice. also i'd take one of those plugs that will allow you to plug in three devices. you can get these for about three bucks and home depot.

our safari was the best thing we have ever done and if i could go anywhere in the world it would be back to africa without hesitation :D.

p.s. bigma vs. 100-400L you'll see plenty of 100-400Ls in africa because it's the best compact wildlife lens made for canon DSLRs :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

OregonRebel
865 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 26, 2010 10:42 |  #14

Several batteries/CF cards, a netbook, and at least a 400mm lens sound good. I went to South Africa two years ago with a 70-300 lens on a cropper; it wasn't long enough and I had to crop the photos.

Brian N
7D, Rebel XT, G16, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 15-85 USM IS, Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF-S 60 macro, 85 f/1.8, EF 70-200 f/4L IS , Canon 1.4 TC, 430 EX, 270 EX
Bogen/Manfrotto 3001BPro/484RC2
Some pix at www.flickr.com/photos/​briann/ (external link)

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,842 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 26, 2010 10:57 |  #15

bug spray and lion repellent :D

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

sponsored links

2,351 views & 0 likes for this thread
African Essentials
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.