Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Mar 2010 (Sunday) 01:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ugh, can't make up my mind T2i vs D90

RiCEADDiCTBOY
20 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2010 01:55 |  #1

I have been dead set on buying the T2i and I found a Best Buy that had one for sell...and I got it. However, some of my camera buddies were nagging on me about how the D90 was still superior and only two hundred bucks more for a better AF, body, button layout and options...

They also told me that the sensor was the same size as the Ti and increasing the pixel doesn't mean better quality - especially since the sensor size is still the same.

Please...please help a confused guy before he opens the T2i box. I understand this is a Canon forum - but, please give good advise. Thanks guys!

sponsored links
Old ­ Salty
97 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 28, 2010 02:09 |  #2

RiCEADDiCTBOY wrote in post #9885094 (external link)
I have been dead set on buying the T2i and I found a Best Buy that had one for sell...and I got it. However, some of my camera buddies were nagging on me about how the D90 was still superior and only two hundred bucks more for a better AF, body, button layout and options...

They also told me that the sensor was the same size as the Ti and increasing the pixel doesn't mean better quality - especially since the sensor size is still the same.

Please...please help a confused guy before he opens the T2i box. I understand this is a Canon forum - but, please give good advise. Thanks guys!

Increased pixel count/size only comes into play when you want to print images. More pixels = bigger, high quality prints.

http://www.JeffMeyersP​hotography.com (external link)
EOS 7D, Canon 50mm 1:1.8, Sigma 10-20mm 1:4-5.6 HSM, Canon 50mm 1:3.5 FD Macro, Canon 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM Macro, Canon 70-200/F4L IS, Sigma DG 150-500mm 1:5-6.3 APO OS

RiCEADDiCTBOY
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2010 02:11 |  #3

Old Salty wrote in post #9885141 (external link)
Increased pixel count/size only comes into play when you want to print images. More pixels = bigger, high quality prints prints.

So in all honesty is the T2i a very capable DSLR? Should I keep it or pick up the D90?

Old ­ Salty
97 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 28, 2010 02:16 |  #4

RiCEADDiCTBOY wrote in post #9885145 (external link)
So in all honesty is the T2i a very capable DSLR? Should I keep it or pick up the D90?

I can't speak on the tech side of the matter, but I can tell you that I fell victim to the belief that higher pixels meant better image quality. I always thought that higher pixels meant better images. An 8 megapixel camera can look as good as a 15 megapixel camera when viewed on your monitor, or printed at 8.5x11. I personally use a 500D/T1i, and have blown up my images in upwards of 40x24", and they look excellent.

I'll leave the tech stuff to people who know more than I do.

http://www.JeffMeyersP​hotography.com (external link)
EOS 7D, Canon 50mm 1:1.8, Sigma 10-20mm 1:4-5.6 HSM, Canon 50mm 1:3.5 FD Macro, Canon 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM Macro, Canon 70-200/F4L IS, Sigma DG 150-500mm 1:5-6.3 APO OS

RiCEADDiCTBOY
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2010 02:23 |  #5

Can you easily change the aperture and iso on the fly as you can on the D90 with the T2i?

Jam.radonc
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 28, 2010 02:41 |  #6

Both are excellent choices. What you need to decide is which brand are you likely to be with over the next 20 years or so (LOL) and there you have it.

Mine was and will always be Canon. Those lenses are addictive and pictures are well, spectacular.

Jam
5D3 | 450D | Panasonic DMC-LX3 | 430 EX II | ST-E2
24-70 L II | 50L | 50 1.8 I | 100L | Zeiss 35/2 ZE | Zeiss 85/2.8 | Zeiss 135/3.5
[COLOR="Silver"]Sold: 17-40L | 24L II | 85L II | 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 5D2

speedline_fc
282 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 28, 2010 02:42 |  #7

RiCEADDiCTBOY wrote in post #9885175 (external link)
Can you easily change the aperture and iso on the fly as you can on the D90 with the T2i?

I would think any modern (or even not so modern) DSLR would and should be easy to change aperture and ISO.. but I'm sure once you got used to either body, you would think its easy anyway.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be thinking about:

(1) which lens system suits my needs and budget better (does Nikon have all the potential lenses you want at the prices you can afford? Does Canon?)

(2) AF system, which one is better? Do you need "better" or not? Although I think determining the better AF may not be as easy as your friends make it out to be.

(3) Video, will I ever need/want it? I know both bodies have it, the T2i, I believe, is better.

Although lots of people here (and apparently your friends) will discount the higher megapixels, personally, I welcome all the megapixels I can get, provided it doesnt come at a great expense of image quality.

And another thing to consider.. if your friends are shooting Nikon, you could borrow their lenses if you had a Nikon body, right?

Not trying to make your choice more difficult, just saying these are things I would be considering in your shoes.

My Flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9822373#p​ost9822373

RiCEADDiCTBOY
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2010 02:45 |  #8

So pound for pound - which would be the best bang for the buck? T2i or D90? ... i'm still confused.

i plan to do quite a bit of nature photography, panning, and landscape shots...

i wanted the 7D, but on a tight budget lately. the t2i intrigued me. the d90 is two years old, but still held high by a few purists....

i had a d40...and wanted a decent upgrade as my family took over using my d40...

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 28, 2010 02:48 |  #9

RiCEADDiCTBOY wrote in post #9885234 (external link)
So pound for pound - which would be the best bang for the buck? T2i or D90? ... i'm still confused.

If it was that clear there would be no point in selling multiple models and brands. Just do your research and go with your gut - not your buddies' gut.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

RiCEADDiCTBOY
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2010 02:53 |  #10

tkbslc wrote in post #9885240 (external link)
If it was that clear there would be no point in selling multiple models and brands. Just do your research and go with your gut - not your buddies' gut.

i know...but, this is one of those few moments in life where i would truly appreciate a solid second opinion...:cry:

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 28, 2010 03:00 |  #11

RiCEADDiCTBOY wrote in post #9885248 (external link)
i know...but, this is one of those few moments in life where i would truly appreciate a solid second opinion...:cry:

Alright I will do my best - I don't own a d90 but I have used one a few times. I LOVE the viewfinder of the D90. Its as big as the new 7D VF everyone raves about. The video on the D90 sucks. The AF is nothing special - certainly nothing worth making a fuss about. Coming from Canon, the controls are weird - so not better just different. Body size is a tiny bit more comfortable than the t2i (for me).

The sensor on the t2i is the same as the one from the 7D. And the 7D sensor has been called the best APS-C sensor ever. High resolution AND better high ISO performance. So I would give the T2i a slight nod in the IQ dept.

I think if you are this worried, you owe it to yourself to go back to the store and handle both and evaluate lens options.

Taylor

Abyssgh0st
340 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 28, 2010 03:07 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #12

You're not really comparing equal cameras. Try comparing the 50D and D90, unless you absolutely need video.

Gear List

My Flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 28, 2010 03:10 |  #13

Abyssgh0st wrote in post #9885278 (external link)
You're not really comparing equal cameras. Try comparing the 50D and D90, unless you absolutely need video.

Thats not a real comparison either - the 50D AF, fps, build and handling spank the D90. The D90 is purposefully in between the t1i and 50D lines. T2i makes it interesting since Nikon hasn't updated for a while.

Taylor

RiCEADDiCTBOY
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2010 03:28 |  #14

So is the body of a T2i better than that of a D90? I understand that the T2i is considered an upper entry level DSLR...and the D90 a mid level but recent comparisons seem to favor the T2i and the build quality to D90. The 50D in most reviews was somewhat left out.

I just want a camera that would be a good upgrade from my Nikon D40 and something I can grow into. I bought the T2i figuring that it could be that camera, but I have never used a Canon (but recent products by Canon had intrigued me). I am not particularly favored towards one brand or another. Nikon just seem to be my families (graphic designers...) choice.

My main concern with the T2i would be build quality, ability to swap aperture/ISO quickly without digging through menus, taking wildlife photography, panning/action shots...

like i said - if i could i would jump all over a 7D....but, my wife and our budget just won't allow it.

waynethegiant
324 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 28, 2010 03:30 |  #15

D90 has better build quality.. thats about all i can think of. Video is no comparison.. T2i is a very capable camera. Had it for 2 days now. Very very nice

Canon EOS 5D Mark II + BG-E6 Battery Grip
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
AlienBee B800 | Canon Speedlite 580EX II
Tamrac 5586 Expedition 6x

sponsored links

8,822 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ugh, can't make up my mind T2i vs D90
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.