Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 28 Mar 2010 (Sunday) 17:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5DMK2 autofocus better than 40D for sports?

PNPhotography
803 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2010 17:25 |  #1

Can anyone here comment on the speed and acuracy of the 5DMK2 autofocus for sports (mostly track but alot of Bball) vs the 40D? I might buy the 5D and was wondering if it's capable in this area.
Thanks!!
Paul

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

sponsored links
jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 28, 2010 17:34 |  #2

Not very knowledgeable in this area, but autofocus speed is primarily a function of the lens, and other attributes are camera-based as I understand. The 5DMK2 is very flexible as to autofocus parameters.

Jim

SnapLocally.com
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 28, 2010 20:09 |  #3

You may choose to look at the 7D instead.

www.SnapLocally.com (external link)

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 28, 2010 20:28 |  #4

The center point on the 5D Mark II is very good when compared to the 40D's center point. However, the other points are better on the 40D. It's a capable camera but it wouldn't be my first choice to shoot sports with.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

PNPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
803 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 29, 2010 16:20 |  #5

Thanks for the replies!! I do maybe have a chance to get one pretty cheap and was wondering if I'd be better getting a 7d instead,but FF is always inviting.
Paul

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 29, 2010 19:42 |  #6

An accomplished professional motorsports photographer has posted two collections of action images taken with both the 5D Mk. II and the 40D. From the look of those real-world images, either camera can handle the job.

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 30, 2010 01:03 |  #7

5d (mk2 or not) has good af only for those, who can't afford 1d. Seriously, when it comes to af for sport, there's unfortunately just one option... 1d. Is 5d better then 40d? Maybe for very small percentage, or maybe it's worse for very very little bit. In general they are about same, and when it comes to sport, they are really hard to work with.
7d is better, even though it's still nowhere near 1d. So if you can't afford 1d, go with 7d. And for sport, not having FF is actually good thing.
Before someone jumps on me... I agree you can make great sport photo with 5d, 40d or even 400d. But when you need consistent results, and you have to bring specific photo back from event, not just one out of 1000 photos, you like body which makes it capable.
PS: Someone wrote, af performance is on lens. It's not really true. 80% of af performance depends on body. Body has af sensor and "computer" to calculate it. If this part is slow, even fastest lens won't help. So personally if I would need to choose (just about af speed), I would rather have 1d with 70-300, then 300d with 300/2.8. Once again... this is just concerning af speed, not other things like constant aperture, sharpness etc.

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

Billo78
351 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 30, 2010 01:20 |  #8

I own both cameras and can report that the focussing on the 40D is significantly faster and better than the 5D2, especially on non centre focussing. The 5D2 is a beautiful camera for weddings, portraits and landscapes but a terrible camera for sports (it's also 2 fps slower than the 40D). If your main reason for getting the camera is sports then stear clear and get a 7D (I've not used one but by all accounts the focussing is signifacntly better than the 40D), if however you shoot a whole bunch of different stuff and sport is one of many reasons to get the camera then you could go for the 5D2, just expect to be frustrated sometimes.

Photography Blog (external link)
Adelaide Based Wedding Photographer (external link)

Gear: 5D2, 40D, 580 EX II, 430 EX II, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 18-200 OS

int2str
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 30, 2010 01:24 |  #9

The 5D Mark II sucks for sports! Whomever is saying that it's "ok" for sports probably never used anything better. The 7D is *miles* ahead of the 5D II for sports.

Now sure, somebody is going to post some great looking sports photo, but frankly, I don't care. How many shots were taken to get that one great one? The 7D's auto focus is rock solid. The 5D II recently fell flat with a simple kids birthday party where the kids used a little zip-line indoors - not exactly hot sports action.

For sports, I'd take a 7D over the 5D II, 50D (owned before), XSi (owned before that) etc. any day of the week.

SnapLocally.com
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 30, 2010 09:20 |  #10

I concur with the 7D over the 40D in performance. I really do like the 40D and have gotten great shots out of it, but the 7D makes life easier, particularly with it's AF features, higher and cleaner high iso's, and dynamic range.

www.SnapLocally.com (external link)

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 30, 2010 09:34 |  #11

int2str wrote in post #9897870 (external link)
The 5D Mark II sucks for sports!

I think we need to clarify this statement by changing it to "The 5D Mark II, when Im using it, sucks for sports ;)

Whomever is saying that it's "ok" for sports probably never used anything better.

Ive shot with a 20D, 30D, 40D, 5D, 5DMkII, 1DMkIII, D3, and D700. I think the 5D2 is 'Ok' for sports.

The 7D is *miles* ahead of the 5D II for sports.

Now this I will agree with 100%. Between the two, the 7D will be MUCH better than the 5DMkII for sports.

Now sure, somebody is going to post some great looking sports photo, but frankly, I don't care. How many shots were taken to get that one great one?

Ive posted them before numerous times so Ill spare you the pain, but it really didnt take any more shots to get keepers with the 5DMkII (or 5D for that matter) than it did with any of my other cameras. In fact, as a percent of total shots taken, Id say I had a higher keeper percentage with those two bodies than anything else. Ill admit that those numbers are probably misleading and are really only attributable to the fact that I didnt take nearly as many pictures with those bodies. Shooting with 5D bodies (Classic or MkII) is just harder. It requires you to really read whats getting ready to happen. You cant just react to something and hang on the shutter like you can with a MkIII or 7D. Any monkey with a MkIII and a telephoto can luck into good pictures at 10FPS but it really takes a serious amount of ability and timing to get the same great pictures from slower responding bodies.

The 7D's auto focus is rock solid. The 5D II recently fell flat with a simple kids birthday party where the kids used a little zip-line indoors - not exactly hot sports action.

I havent used a 7D personally nor do I know the particulars of where you were when you shot this kid's birthday party so I wont comment on this.

For sports, I'd take a 7D over the 5D II, 50D (owned before), XSi (owned before that) etc. any day of the week.

Again, Ill agree with you 100% on this statement.

With regards to the OP, IMO, the 40D and 5DMkII AF about the same. I think the 40D is a little bit more responsive though which makes shooting anything action-oriented much easier.

flickr (external link)

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 30, 2010 10:30 |  #12

primoz wrote in post #9897808 (external link)
PS: Someone wrote, af performance is on lens. It's not really true. 80% of af performance depends on body. Body has af sensor and "computer" to calculate it. If this part is slow, even fastest lens won't help. So personally if I would need to choose (just about af speed), I would rather have 1d with 70-300, then 300d with 300/2.8. Once again... this is just concerning af speed, not other things like constant aperture, sharpness etc.

Thanks for the clarification on this. What you say makes sense, presuming one does not have a non-Ultrasonic lens on the body. A fast-focusing lens on a body to match is the way to go. Now you have me coveting a 1D series, and that is unhealthy for the pocketbook! However....life is short.

Jim

PNPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
803 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 30, 2010 16:13 |  #13

Thanks again folks.I do own the 40D which I'm mostly happy with for sports but thought If the 5dMK2 is going to perform at least as good for indoor sports then it would be a good choice because I'm hankering for a FF camera.
Paul

lefturn99
820 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 30, 2010 16:31 |  #14

I've got a 40D and a 5D2. If all I shot was sports I wouldn't consider the 5D2. It's a wonderful camera and has changed my life. But it's really not a sports camera.

I did shoot 3500 frames at an indoor barrel race last weekend. I struggled a bit but I got many wonderful shots at 4000 and 5000 ISO. I was not the main shooter, so no pressure. I missed some because of the slow fps and a few more due to AF (probably as much my inexperience as camera). If I did it all the time I would save my spare change for a 1D4.

If you shoot outdoors in daylight the 7D would rock.

6D, 5D Mk III, 60D, EOS M, Gear List

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 30, 2010 16:38 |  #15

DC Fan wrote in post #9896149 (external link)
An accomplished professional motorsports photographer has posted two collections of action images taken with both the 5D Mk. II and the 40D. From the look of those real-world images, either camera can handle the job.

And I'll take John's opinions to the bank any day...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

6,322 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5DMK2 autofocus better than 40D for sports?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.