Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.

mjamesv
100 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 30, 2010 23:38 as a reply to  @ post 10456546 |  #151

In our country, Philippines, I think it has become a status symbol to have a DSLR hanging on your neck.

sponsored links
nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 01, 2010 07:24 |  #152
bannedPermanent ban

not sure if i would say that everybody has a DSLR.

When I went to Chicago Car Show back in February, I would say about one third was DLSR, largest group was small point and shoot cameras and few folks with camera phones.

But I will agree that more and more people are buying and using DSLRs.

Gear List

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,976 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 01, 2010 07:43 as a reply to  @ nekrosoft13's post |  #153

Maybe if more people have one the "DSLR" bias will disappear from peoples minds and "only pros have one..so you must be a pro" will cease to be....so look at it in a positive light...they may be doing us all a favor in the end...going to be a lot harder to pick on the dslr crowd if most of the crowd has one..;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 01, 2010 08:27 |  #154

Well, with the advent of the Rebels from Canon (and comparable models) as someone mentioned they have become much more affordable - and digital is just cheaper than film too.

About seeing a lot of them - it varies on where you are - and obviously around attractions or scenic places you find more people using them.
But its mainly rebels or their equivalents - not the "heavy stuff".

On the other hand - I don't think they've become a standard - I've been asked at least twice if I work for the press - once on my 400D (some kids in the Landschaftspark Duisburg Nord) and once with my MK II (Walking along the Ruhr around Kettwig/Mintard by some people who were reworking the path) - answer: NO - just a hobby.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Depp
200 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 01, 2010 09:24 as a reply to  @ DetlevCM's post |  #155

I agree it's more about where you at and depends on where you are in the big cities,ie zoo,waterfront,attract​ions,etc...actually haven't been to a city in about a year and a half,so usage of DSLR's may well be up more in the Seattle area.In the country I rarely see them other then in the National or State Parks,but not very often in the small towns nearby.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,618 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 01, 2010 09:32 |  #156

I see lots of rebels and smaller DSLR's, not so many larger cameras. I am actually a little embarrassed sometimes whipping out my 5d2 and L lenses when I am just shooting for fun.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2010 10:06 as a reply to  @ Tommydigi's post |  #157

It also depends where you go.

This past Spring I saw a few people with Canon DSLRs while I was touring Elvis' Graceland mansion in Memphis. Only saw one person with a camera backpack.

Then one evening while checking out the night life on Beale Street I noticed only one person with a DSLR. Most everyone else were using P&S. Memphis has a high crime rate (muggings & robberies) so I would imagine that might have discouraged DSLR owners from walking the streets with expensive gear.

ken_vs_ryu
539 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 01, 2010 11:43 |  #158

yeah too many.

http://google-black.blogspot.com (external link)

avantcoreVB
322 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 01, 2010 12:31 as a reply to  @ ken_vs_ryu's post |  #159

I wouldn't say there's too many. I agree it is all about where you are. Certain regions bring out the people who have the money to spend. But at the same rate, with the price of DSLRs creeping into the upper reaches of high-end point and shoots, more people are willing to make that sacrifice and spend a little more for the DSLR.

Along the same lines, with the advent of the Compact DSLRs (and I'm assuming Nikon and Canon will quickly enter that market and make it more of a viable option for consumers), people will begin to move from point and shoots, to compacts, then to full bodied DSLRs. So you may see the numbers thin out. Or not.

Gear and Feedback
The camera cannot lie, but it can be an accessory to untruth. - Harold Evans
Theatre is life; film is art; television is furniture.

TieDyedDevil
78 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 01, 2010 12:39 |  #160

The Digital Rebel came out in late 2003. That's seven years ago. Up until that time you pretty much had to shoot digital with some kind of digital P&S. In 2003 you had to make a choice to spend a fair amount of extra cash to get the benefits of the Digital Rebel over a P&S. Since then the price of low-end DSLRs has come down slightly while features and performance have increased significantly. Meanwhile, P&S cameras have crept up-market in terms of cost and functionality. The price gap between a high-end P&S and a low-end DSLR is fairly small nowadays, which probably encourages more consumers to pay a bit extra for the perception of having a "better" camera.

Borchacalas
34 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 01, 2010 13:26 |  #161

I've become one of the Rebel drones myself. I do have noticed it, specially on touristic areas here in the city (Mexico City that'd be). I've seen from antique SRL's -you know, before automatic were even though about- all the way to 5D's (it's funny I haven't seen any 1D's, thiough). But I'm uneasy about saying if many of them are just posing to be better photographers shooting on green box mode or are students.

Me, I started with a Canon SX110 IS. I mostly shot in M mode, sometimes in Tv or Av. Rarely on P. I switched because I saw that this camera didn't have as great bokeh and I could get with a DSRL, even with the small range of apertures it has. It has been a challenge because even if I shot in M mode, starting with the 1000D, it was like having to rediscover most of what I had learned.

Though this was because of a change of necessities. I first wanted a P&S camera just to bring along and shoo whatever I liked in such moment and then evolved to wanting to take better pictures which meant learning the basics of photography.

I do wonder how many are in that situation though. I picture that not many, but I've been proven wrong before.

Gear: Basic Rebel XS non-mention-worthy kit, Canon Powershot SX110 IS

cassiusmc
145 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 01, 2010 13:50 |  #162

spotz04 wrote in post #10459723 (external link)
It also depends where you go.

This past Spring I saw a few people with Canon DSLRs while I was touring Elvis' Graceland mansion in Memphis. Only saw one person with a camera backpack.

Then one evening while checking out the night life on Beale Street I noticed only one person with a DSLR. Most everyone else were using P&S. Memphis has a high crime rate (muggings & robberies) so I would imagine that might have discouraged DSLR owners from walking the streets with expensive gear.

I live in Memphis and I walk around a shoot with my gear all the time.

Lumix GH3, Lumix G 12-35 2.8 IS, Metz 50 Af-1, Home Studio(AB Light Setup) Alot of vintage Lenes.( Waiting on the Gh4 :D)
Photography is more than a hobby.

kjj512
471 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 01, 2010 16:47 |  #163

I think there are a couple reasons that DSLRs have become so prevalent lately. First off is the fact that they are becoming cheaper and cheaper to produce and sell. So now it's becoming affordable to the masses. Secondly with the whole transition to HD tv and HD computer monitors people want the best image quality they can get. This ends up being a DSLR. Just no one told them they should know how to use it if they want really good pictures. Thirdly, its a trend its the next cool thing. This is especially true for ages 16-25. Camera's have always gone with trends from film SLRs, to film compacts, to digital point and shoots, to cell phone cameras, to DSLRs. The trends will keep advancing with technology because everyone wants the latest and greatest gadget.

For the most part the mass influx of DSLRs doesn't bother me. What does bother me is when I am trying to run media for grassroots drifting events and I have at least 5 people each event come up to me and ask for a media pass because they have a DSLR. That's the most annoying part because people do believe its the gear that makes you good so the rebel hanging around your neck makes you a pro. I always find it funny that I get more looks carrying around my AE-1 then the 5D. I guess its just a lot more out of the ordinary. Oh well it makes it easier to get candid street shots...

Kevin
flickr (external link) | vimeo (external link)
5D MKii | Contax CZ 135mm f/2.8 Sonnar*T | Contax CZ 50mm f/1.4 Planar*T | CZ Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 | Olympus Zuiko 24mm f/2.8
AE-1 and a bunch of fd lenses

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 01, 2010 16:54 |  #164

mjamesv wrote in post #10457688 (external link)
In our country, Philippines, I think it has become a status symbol to have a DSLR hanging on your neck.

hi...you're a filipino too?;)

I agree... I am not sure why they do this though:
They hang the camera on their neck and still hold it with one hand while walking in the mall. haha

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

JHutch
595 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2010 16:55 |  #165

Tommydigi wrote in post #10459523 (external link)
I am actually a little embarrassed sometimes whipping out my 5d2 and L lenses when I am just shooting for fun.

THIS x 2. Who cares if so many people own dslrs?

D700+Voigtlander 40mm+Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 ai-s

sponsored links

30,766 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.