Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.

mplezia
429 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 06, 2010 14:52 |  #241

hairy_moth wrote in post #10487600 (external link)
P gives you plenty of rope to hang yourself with, does not.
For example, in P, you can have exposure compensation set to +/-3. If you forget that you did that, and don't notice in the viewfinder, when switching back to P, your shots will be exposed improperly.

Since I've started shooting in manual more, I really don't use the other modes much at all. I'll use full auto at times when I don't want (or have time) to think about my manual settings. This week-end's barbecue, for example was on a sunny day in a shady backyard with a pool. Lighting was all over the place really. I wanted to spend more time talking than looking at my camera, so I used auto quite a bit. I switched into manual for a few set shots of my son, but that was really it. I find Av and Tv will often pick odd combinations of ISO/shutter/aperture, and prefer manual to those in most cases.

YMMV

Canon 60D | Canon 500D | Canon 430EX II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM 'A' | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,412 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jul 06, 2010 15:10 |  #242

bigpow wrote in post #10487609 (external link)
guy with D3 and a huge flash, entered the aquarium and started taking pictures with his flash. It's interesting how a person that failed at reading English and Mandarin signs of "no flash photography" could afford a nice DSLR like that

Having a D3 gives one carte blanche to do whatever one wants. Isn't that the rule?

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

bkdc
888 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 06, 2010 15:17 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #243

Just cuz everyone has a dSLR doesn't mean everyone knows how to take a picture. It's a great thing that people can learn photography with a modest budget.

RF 24-70 f/4L IS | RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | RF 50L | RF 85L | 600EX-RT x 3

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 06, 2010 15:20 |  #244

Geejay wrote in post #10487628 (external link)
IMO Auto mode is for people who aren't interested in photography,

mplezia wrote in post #10487643 (external link)
Since I've started shooting in manual more, I really don't use the other modes much at all. I'll use full auto at times when I don't want (or have time) to think about my manual settings.

I agree with mplezia.. there are times for full auto (many on this board disagree). I will use it typically when I know that my settings are wrong, for the current shot and I need to catch a picture right now or I will miss it (typically when young children are involved). In that situation, unless I know exactly what my current settings are and that they are compatible, I will swing the dial to green and get the shot. This is something that I typically do only a few times a year, but it is a good idea to keep it in the back of your mind that the green box is an option when you know that you don't have time to change your settings for the shot. BTW.. P will fail in those situations because it retains settings like ISO, Exposure compensation; which may not be compatible with the current shot.

When given the choice: green box, or missed opportunity; I go for the green.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

trythis
363 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2010 15:45 |  #245

mplezia wrote in post #10487412 (external link)
It's the symbol on the mode selection dial of your camera for the fully auto shooting mode.

e.g.:
M -- Manual
Av -- Aperture Priority
Tv -- Shutter Priority
[] -- Full Auto

Ahhhhh...thank you!

Canon 60D|Canon Rebel EOS T1i|50mm f/1.8|28-70mm f/2.8|18-55 f/3.5-5.6|70-200mm IS f/2.8 |600EX Speedlite
http://jennifersilas.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

trythis
363 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2010 15:52 |  #246

hairy_moth wrote in post #10487480 (external link)
That, and especially when the little pop-up goes off when the subject is more than about 15 or 20 feet away. I couldn't help but chuckle at the fireworks on Sunday when the flashes were going off!

Even I knew to shoot with no flash when I was using my P&S!

I think the hard thing is WHERE do you learn all this stuff?? I bought a book, that helped. I ask questions of every photographer I meet... I understand what appature is, I understand what ISO is, I understand what shutter speed is. White balance not so much....
I can generally tell what I want my camera to be set on, but don't know if I have the ISO at 400, where would I want the appature to get the best photo, if the subject is still?
Things like that. So I tend to use AV, because I have to rely on the camera to figure that out for me. I have tried to find a class, the museum near me offers a class every 9 weeks but never has enough students to make it work. I am really frustrated by this and hoped this forum would help me find these things out.

Canon 60D|Canon Rebel EOS T1i|50mm f/1.8|28-70mm f/2.8|18-55 f/3.5-5.6|70-200mm IS f/2.8 |600EX Speedlite
http://jennifersilas.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 06, 2010 15:55 |  #247

Some one has said it before but I shall say it again.... I sometimes feel a bit embarassed with my DSLR being so big. Not just cos it's a 1 series, just because it is a DSLR. Sometimes if I'm just up the playground with my daughter I do feel self concious. I'd give anything for a few other parents to be sporting DSLR's! The more the merrier.... I don't give a damn if they don't know how to use them - will never get to see their pics.... for all I know they are better than mine!

Mark
Gear List

KRUSH
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 06, 2010 15:58 |  #248

bigcountry wrote in post #9927133 (external link)
everybody has one, and everybody is out to make money w/ it.

That is what I think causes concern.

The presence of the observer changes the nature of the observed...
Canon EOS 5D Mk II | Gear List & Feedback
For Sale: Canon S5 IS |

fiebru1119
718 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 06, 2010 17:07 |  #249

I understand where you guys talking about full auto may be useful. I went to use it on my camera the other day and stupid 1D doesn't have the green box! Now what am I gonna do!? :D

I went with the family to seaworld the other day, and I expected to see many more DSLRs than I did. The most "advanced" setup I saw was a 40D/grip and 70-200L/4.0 on a guy walking around with a full bag on his back. The rest were rebels with kit lenses... That being said, I left my stuff at home..

A7RIII | EF15/2.8 FE | 16-35/4.0LIS | 24/1.4L II | ZA55/1.8 | 24-105G OSS

AnonOptical
104 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 06, 2010 17:35 |  #250

I spend a lot of time in the Black Hills here in South Dakota, which is very tourist heavy all summer... and DSLR's are everywhere. Like most have mentioned, 99% of them are on auto, and 99% of the users wouldn't know how to change the lens even if they had to. Such is life though, I don't really mind. If we get one new enthusiast out of every ten entry DSLR buyers, I count that as a win for photog's in general.

There's only one thing that irks me about the influx of DSLR's (This might have been covered in the thread already, I only skimmed). The amount of people that buy a DSLR, and immediately think they're a professional photographer blows my mind. Craigslist is FULL of them. Now, I really don't care that they're trying to make a business. Most people will look at their photo examples and steer clear of them. I just feel bad for that one unsuspecting couple that hires them for a wedding, and gets basically 0 usable shots from a once in a lifetime event. I have turned down friends before for wedding photography, because I don't feel comfortable enough with something like that... I'd hate to ruin their special day. The fact that some people get paid to ruin things like that bothers me.

7d | 10-20Sigma | 24-105f/4L | 70-200f/4L

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,285 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 06, 2010 17:56 as a reply to  @ mplezia's post |  #251

Even in Shanghai...

While I was walking on the Bund in Shanghai, this guy with a Canon 5D wanted to take my picture as I was shooting him...

IMAGE: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Other/Chiba-Focus-Tour-2010-Shanghai/USM-0702/880363694_tsaUM-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …kZwJ#880363694_​tsaUM-A-LB  (external link)

And this lady tried to get lower and lower while shooting...

IMAGE: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Other/Chiba-Focus-Tour-2010-Shanghai/Shanghai-29/847984365_PZUTg-L-1.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …kZwJ#847984365_​PZUTg-A-LB  (external link)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

TCOMC
225 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 06, 2010 18:24 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #252

Flickr even has graphs showing the increase in DSLR users. For example, the T1i:

http://www.flickr.com/​cameras/canon/eos_rebe​l_t1i/ (external link)

..they don't show units for the amount of users though.

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 06, 2010 19:14 |  #253

I hate to make generalizations whenever I'm at an event and see a horde of people using DSLRs with kit lenses. I was where they were at first -- just learning the ropes and starting out -- but often times I "cringe" when I only see them putting it on Full Auto, and then blame it on the camera when they say "why is this picture so blurry? This camera sucks..." (yes I did hear that once).

It reminds me of this one time I was at the gym, and this 15 or 16 year old teen boy goes onto this one abdominal machine. He tries it a few times, gives up, and says "this machine sucks. It doesn't even work." Obviously he did not know how to operate that machine correctly to get optimal results, and he blamed the machine for what should be his own ignorance. True story.

That's what I hate.

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 06, 2010 20:44 |  #254

joedlh wrote in post #10487728 (external link)
Having a D3 gives one carte blanche to do whatever one wants. Isn't that the rule?

yeah, that's probably why I was able to noticed the brand/model of his camera.
He was flaunting it promiscously, probably feeling mighty proud and "professional"

Same reason why I always replace the stock strap for a plain black neoprene one. On top of that, I debadge the bodies/lenses with gaf tape. I also suck at taking pictures, but at least, this way, it's less noticeable ;)

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

doofuss
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 07, 2010 01:17 |  #255

trythis wrote in post #10488025 (external link)
Even I knew to shoot with no flash when I was using my P&S!

I think the hard thing is WHERE do you learn all this stuff?? I bought a book, that helped. I ask questions of every photographer I meet... I understand what appature is, I understand what ISO is, I understand what shutter speed is. White balance not so much....
I can generally tell what I want my camera to be set on, but don't know if I have the ISO at 400, where would I want the appature to get the best photo, if the subject is still?
Things like that. So I tend to use AV, because I have to rely on the camera to figure that out for me. I have tried to find a class, the museum near me offers a class every 9 weeks but never has enough students to make it work. I am really frustrated by this and hoped this forum would help me find these things out.

Enrol in a photography course...You will learn heaps of valuable information and tips

Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Canon 600EX-RT Speedlight.

sponsored links

34,648 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.