Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.

bajaiman
134 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 29, 2010 06:10 as a reply to  @ post 9891591 |  #31

I think a lotta people think that if you have a dslr the photos you've taken will be magically a lot better than the ones you take from snappy. And with the affordability of dslr these days its very common to find second person that you bumped into has a dslr hanging from their neck.

Having a dslr don't mean that they know what they're doing. Take my cousin for example... when he first got his dslr it was 30D with 24-105. I was quite surprised coz that was a lotta money 2.5 years ago and yet he didn't know what focal length or aperture or shutter is. Basically he didn't know the basic and all that he knew was if hes got good equipments then his pictures will be better.

To see someone with good gears don't mean that they're very good in taking pictures. It could be that they've got a lotta money to spend or they probably like to 'wow' people with their gears. Someone could be very good in taking pictures and only use the most basic entry level dslr. So I try not to judge people skill based on their gears.....

Thats my 2cents comments...

My Stuff

sponsored links
dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 29, 2010 06:14 |  #32

my fiancee told me when we go on vacation, she didnt' want me to be the 'big camera guy,' then realized that everyone from soccer moms to midwestern RV owners, to high school kids were wandering around with DSLR's.

if you look close, most aren't the larger bodied prosumer, and i haven't seen but one or two full frames.

it happens around christmas when everyone gets that rebel and realizes that photos on an entry level DSLR, if taken properly, look better than on an expensive P&S with a billion megapixels and 400x zoom!!!

dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 29, 2010 06:21 |  #33

bajaiman wrote in post #9891682 (external link)
I think a lotta people think that if you have a dslr the photos you've taken will be magically a lot better than the ones you take from snappy. And with the affordability of dslr these days its very common to find second person that you bumped into has a dslr hanging from their neck.

Having a dslr don't mean that they know what they're doing. Take my cousin for example... when he first got his dslr it was 30D with 24-105. I was quite surprised coz that was a lotta money 2.5 years ago and yet he didn't know what focal length or aperture or shutter is. Basically he didn't know the basic and all that he knew was if hes got good equipments then his pictures will be better.

To see someone with good gears don't mean that they're very good in taking pictures. It could be that they've got a lotta money to spend or they probably like to 'wow' people with their gears. Someone could be very good in taking pictures and only use the most basic entry level dslr. So I try not to judge people skill based on their gears.....

Thats my 2cents comments...

fair enough, but they will learn. a P&S will never allow you to have that level of flexibility. if they read the instructions and dig around on the web they will realize that being able to control iso, shutter, and aperture is huge--and that they will probably need pp software at least as good as lightroom 2, if not CS4 to get pro results...

...and shoot in raw, etc. but even when set on the basic green window, i'd arguet that the glass and bigger photosensor in a DSLR gives you incredible results over P&S just because of the physics involved in that.

in the end i see it this way, more people buying DSLR's means more good, used, cheap DSLR's on adorama's web site in a year or two.

Whippeticious
Goldmember
2,302 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 29, 2010 06:45 |  #34

I wonder if 90 or so years ago people started complaining that everyone else is getting a car too and there's not so many horses pulling carts.

goingsking
108 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 29, 2010 07:16 |  #35

Working in downtown Manhattan near the world trade center, we are a huge area for visitors. Seems that non-teens seem to have dslr camaras with them and mostly with the kit zoom lens. Lots of them going to J&R which I can see from my window. When I go to the WTC PATH station to go home, that is where I see the heavy guns. Lots of exensive lenses, tripods, everything to take a picture of where the twin towers used to be and what is going up right now. Sometimes either the police or army guards keep photographers from shoot in one direction or another (obviously some security issue) but usually they are very helpfull. Now that we are in the spring break season, lots of white lenses.

Canon XTi, 7D, Minolta XE7 ; EF-S 18-55; EF-S 55-250; 24-105 L4; 28mm f 1.8; 85mm f 1.8; ef 70-200 f 4 IS; EF70-300L

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 29, 2010 07:16 |  #36

chomish wrote in post #9890799 (external link)
Ive been shooting DSLR's now for about 6-7 years. I remember going to events with my camera when i first got it and everybody thinking i worked for a newpaper or magazine.

Lately when ive been taking my camera out to places like the Zoo etc ive noticed that everbody is walking around with an SLR now like its in style.

Is it just me or is there really this crazy jump in DSLR users???

I've noticed that too. I would say it really started oh.... about 6 or 7 years ago. :D

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

Overread
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2010 07:30 |  #37

For those interested you can claw back your street cred with a DSLR - you just have to start thinking outside of the box.
for example wandering around with a speedlite flash and a lumiquest softbox certainly draws more eyes to me than my white lens does. And you can look even more "out there" if you stick you lens in a welliesock......

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

ravickanth
85 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 29, 2010 07:33 as a reply to  @ post 9891166 |  #38

In my country DSLR is still a rare thing. since here most of the things are imported DSLRs here are too costly when compared to the price in US. so if i go out with my DSLR i get some strange looks (in spite of the fact that my kit is very basic). This also gives me the problem of all my friends asking me to take pictures of whatever party or function they are attending (free of cost of course), this sometimes bugs me a lot.:o
Also other than wildlife photographers i have never seen anyone else even those doing portfolio and marriage works using 1 Series bodies.

Canon EOS 5D MK3 ||EF 17-40 mm f/4 L ||EF 50mm f/1.8 ||EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM || EF 70-200 f/4L
My Flickr (external link)
Indian Street Scene  (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 29, 2010 07:37 |  #39

I see more camera phones than anything else these days.

The influx of digital SLRs ain't exactly sudden though. It's been happening since ~2003.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 29, 2010 07:39 |  #40

I figured since I have one ... I can't really start pointing fingers at others for owning one.

angusporter.com (external link)

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 29, 2010 07:45 |  #41

I think a lot of people see the great pics that DSLR's can produce and buy one thinking that their pics will all be wonderful. Then when their pics do not turn out so great they start to realize that their is a big learning curve to produce those pics.

Some just keep shooting green box. Some sell and get a P&S. Some get excited and study, buy more equipment & PP software.

Lots of people have come up to me at ball games or karate tourneys, see my pics, and say, "How are you getting your camera to do that?" or "Set up my camera for me so it will be like yours". I always encourage them, but let them know they have some work to do.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

Tarzanman
548 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 29, 2010 07:48 |  #42

3 of my friends joined the Rebel Alliance in the past year (they bought XSi's). Another one is seriously thinking about it.

A lot of it has to do with the ubiquity of cell phone and ultra-compact cameras. Many of these folks now take a ton of photo wherever they go and inevitably start running into the limitations of their ultra-compact camera..... or they compare their photos to the ones I took at the same event and they start to consider an upgrade.

The more the merrier, say I

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 29, 2010 07:52 |  #43

Technology has changed things. Back in 1979 when I would tell people I needed to go to the computer lab to check my e-mail.. they looked at me like I was from another planet.

But looking back, my father (and his brothers) had SLRs.. Though you would not have thought much of it if you had seen him with it.. This was his camera (external link). It was not very impressive. Though it still really ticks me off when I think about the fact that I don't have that camera today (the one I learned on) because someone cut open his luggage and stole it.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

agoodfella
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2010 07:59 |  #44

count me as a DSLR newbie.

the 1,000 barrier is a key psychological price point for a lot of consumers (myself included). i had my eye on the 550D (or Rebel T2I for those stateside), the other key factor being a DSLR with HD video capabilities.

i grabbed one as soon as it came out. and i couldn't be more thrilled.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 29, 2010 08:01 |  #45

agoodfella wrote in post #9892076 (external link)
the 1,000 barrier is a key psychological price point for a lot of consumers (myself included).

I came back to SLR photography as soon as the first Digital Rebel was announced at just below $1000. That WAS the barrier for me... My wife wishes it still was! ;)

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

sponsored links

30,866 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.