Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.

IVIax
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 29, 2010 12:05 |  #76

And to add to my comment, my wife enjoys shooting film with an SLR from the 80's, she gets more reactions that I do typically :lol: So yes, dSLR's are becoming very popular.

-Max
"Bad artists copy. Good artists steal." Picasso

sponsored links
RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 29, 2010 12:43 as a reply to  @ IVIax's post |  #77

Yeh, I see them everywhere. I don't know if its a guy thing, but when I see one I begin to size up their choice in lenses and bodies.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

fnothaft
575 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 29, 2010 12:51 |  #78

IVIax wrote in post #9893535 (external link)
Tons of dSLR users in the area, tons of tripods. I can't complain though.

I was out taking pictures in DC this weekend, had another canon shooter come up to me and start a conversation :lol:

That's no joke. I was in DC this weekend and at the Nat'l Gallery. Saw multiple people with 5D's and L lenses, and a slew of other people with DSLRs. Otherwise, was at a track meet on Saturday and saw many people with DSLRs, and yet more people with DSLRs at local beaches over the weekend.

I wouldn't knock the kit lenses. They're surprisingly decent.

Body: Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 • Lenses: Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Lensbaby 2.0, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135 f/2L USM • Lighting: Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Support: Dolica CX620B104
Gear listWebsite (external link)Flickr (external link)

IVIax
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 29, 2010 12:53 |  #79

fnothaft wrote in post #9893861 (external link)
That's no joke. I was in DC this weekend and at the Nat'l Gallery. Saw multiple people with 5D's and L lenses, and a slew of other people with DSLRs. Otherwise, was at a track meet on Saturday and saw many people with DSLRs, and yet more people with DSLRs at local beaches over the weekend.

I wouldn't knock the kit lenses. They're surprisingly decent.

You may have seen me then :lol: :oops:

And I agree about the kit lenses, especially the newer ones.

-Max
"Bad artists copy. Good artists steal." Picasso

fnothaft
575 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 29, 2010 13:21 |  #80

IVIax wrote in post #9893875 (external link)
You may have seen me then :lol: :oops:

And I agree about the kit lenses, especially the newer ones.

If you were at the Nat'l Gallery on last Wednesday, I had a 50D and the old 18-55mm kit lens. :p With regards to the kit lenses, they will never be L lenses, but I think everyone can agree that the photo taken on an inferior lens is better than the photo not taken with an L lens. I think the bigger disappointment is the people who shoot in full auto mode.

Body: Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 • Lenses: Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Lensbaby 2.0, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135 f/2L USM • Lighting: Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Support: Dolica CX620B104
Gear listWebsite (external link)Flickr (external link)

sambcha
37 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 29, 2010 14:52 |  #81

all the time esp here in nyc

7D, 17-50 2.8,70-200 2.8L, 50 1.8,580ex ii, Incase DSLR Sling

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 29, 2010 15:16 |  #82

I think it's great that more shooters are using DSLRs. At recent events in the community I have noticed that phenomenon! It shows that people are interested in getting more than just the average point-and-shoot images. And want something more advanced. Plus DSLRs are more affordable.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 29, 2010 15:19 |  #83

dontcallmeash wrote in post #9892941 (external link)
some stuff i got from the thread...

-what's wrong with a kit lens? do i need a red-trimmed L-lens before people stop pointing at me and call me a noobish wanker? i can take beautiful photos with a kit lens and crap photos with an L lens.
-some people are learning, even if they do shoot in greenspace (so what?) DSLR's aren't an exclusive club anymore. this isn't the 1990s. it's not the space shuttle so don't consider a mastery of the DSLR akin to atmospheric re-entry. it's a willingness to learn, and snobbery won't encourage people.
-a lot of engineers smarter than the lot of us spent a great deal of time making sure that the "idiot green box" photos look damn good so saying that they look worse than p&s means that your 2500 dollar full frame photosensor CAMERA is a POS.
-you don't need to have several grand of gear, computer software, and a contract to wander around with a white lens to be a 'great photographer.'

lighten up.

bw!

That cuts down some of the heavy duty wanking thats very prevalent in this thread.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sixsixfour
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 29, 2010 15:19 |  #84

I see a lot of them, but usually its a rebel class camera and the user is either the mom/dad taking shots of their kids.

but then the occasional pro body shows up every now and then and gets everyone's attention. case in point, when i was at the beach by the pier taking shots of gulls buzzing around, i started hearing the characteristic rapid-firing click of a 1D MkIII. sure enough, as i turned around, a few onlookers with a couple of them holding rebel DSLRs were gawking at this guy's 1D MkIII and 70-200 tele shooting at the gulls.

Canon 7D / 50D / 30D / SL1 / XT

My photography-related addiction makes a crack habit look like a fiscally responsible pasttime.

trekgod3
145 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 29, 2010 15:22 |  #85

When we were at Disney last week, there were Rebels everywhere. Mostly with the 18-55, but I did see a few "L"s

1dx mark ii, 6d mark ii, 1d mark iv, Gripped 60d, Gripped Rebel XSI 450D, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 24-70f2.8L ,Canon 70-200f2.8 IS iiL ,Canon 24-105 f4 L, Canon 17-40f4 L, Canon 100-300 f5.6L, Tamron 150-600, Speedlite 580ex, Speedlite 430ex , Speedlite 270ex

stephen_g
595 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 29, 2010 15:26 |  #86

emilysium wrote in post #9891534 (external link)
I find this comment annoying, because I feel as though you're trying to brag, but I see nothing to brag about...

I mean, there may be other things about you that are surprising, like maybe you saved up soda cans for 10 years to buy it something, and now you're a full time working professional. That might be a cool story.

I avoid bragging, I don't like it. I already posted on the page before, and he was making the point that everyone had fancy cameras. The 1D classic is the second DSLR Canon produced or something like that, I'm hardly using cutting edge technology. It's sometimes hard for me to explain my ideas via text, it just doesn't come out quite right. I basically saved up for it by buying and selling camera gear and generally not being and idiot with my money like most teens, nothing particularly surprising there.

Flickr (external link) 1D classic

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 29, 2010 15:33 as a reply to  @ sixsixfour's post |  #87

Basic DSLR's are becoming the entry level into cameras now days.

Last winter I helped about a dozen folks choose cameras for Christmas or whatever. I teach photography around here to both kids and adults and many folks were interested in a new camera.

These folks, new to buying a camera, didn't have a lot of experience with any camera period.

But when they realized that they could buy a DSLR for about the price of a decent point and shoot, most(about 10 out of 12 if I remember right) chose a DSLR.

Most of the folks I helped, chose a Canon entry DSLR for local support but some chose a Nikon entry DSLR because they knew more folks who had Nikon....good choice in their case.

My thing is that an entry level DSLR(Canon or Nikon) is a lot more bang for the buck than a point and shoot...so I did try to encourage a DSLR vs. a point and shoot.

:D

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

Overread
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 29, 2010 15:41 |  #88

You say that but whilst manual controls are far better on a DSLR and shutter lag is not a problem the lens you get can be limiting. It depends if they are after a lot of zoom, but a good bridge camera tends to have about the same reach as a 500mm lens on a DSLR - that is quite a significant choice for the amateur wildlife/sports shooter who might not be wanting to spend any more than the single sum of money on the camera.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 29, 2010 15:43 |  #89

It's cheap now.

Anyway photog's will always be able to find exclusivity with lens's, they aren't the kind of thing that go down in price rapidly like cameras.

stephen_g
595 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 29, 2010 15:43 |  #90

All this being said, I'd quite like to get myself one of those cool lookin' waterproof/shockproof/​generally pretty tough point and shoots that seem to be popping up. Lugging around my full, but still meagre, kit is a hassle at the best of times.

Flickr (external link) 1D classic

sponsored links

31,088 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.