Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.

chomish
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 29, 2010 16:02 |  #91

Wow this post deffinately went in the wrong direction.

All i wanted to ask was... Do u guys notice the spike in DSLR use like i do and what do u think is causing it?

Everbody got super defensive all of a sudden like im talking about them.

Ill admit im one of them. Do i think my skill level is on par with my 5D-2? No way in hell. Am i getting the nicest pitures ive ever taken with it? Absolutely.

I work my ass off. I buy the gear i could afford and want gear i could grow with.

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

sponsored links
IVIax
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 29, 2010 16:07 |  #92

chomish wrote in post #9894985 (external link)

All i wanted to ask was... Do u guys notice the spike in use like me and what do u think is causing it?

I think that was answered in the first reply.

Yes and a decrease in price.

-Max
"Bad artists copy. Good artists steal." Picasso

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,859 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 29, 2010 16:11 |  #93

All i wanted to ask was... Do u guys notice the spike in use like me and what do u think is causing it?

I would say that the rapid uptake is no different than any other electronic item when it hits a price point.

Remember when you couldn't afford a VHS player? a DVD player? a BluRay player? They come in at high prices and just keep dropping. With each new generation getting cheaper, yet having more bells and whistles. It's the early adopters that pay through the nose.
And people don't see digital photography in any shape way or form as "difficult" to master as film.

We have to remember that we are posting in a forum of like minded photography nuts. We are - in the big wide world - the minority. The majority of people are just happy taking happy snaps of their families etc.

My gear is way above my skill level :(

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 29, 2010 18:20 |  #94

fotoworx wrote in post #9895042 (external link)
My gear is way above my skill level :(

that's not a bad thing. it's good to know that your gear can grow and accomodate your skills. and it's mostly forgiving if you use at least some assist (p-mode, auto ISO assist, etc.)

and in the end skill does not equal artistry.

if you want a challenge, like some people in here suggest, i can offer you an FM2 and a bathtub full of developing supplies and lenses and see what they can crank out. i trained in high school and college with manual cameras and black and white photography so the transition to menu-based cameras that let me do crap i didn't realize was possible was a harsh one.

you can train a monkey (and that's how i see myself) how to use a camera, but composition, interesting angles, creative uses of light is purely aesthetic. i can paint a wall, but i can't paint the friggin guernica.

until then i'll just be another wanker with a high end camera around his neck wishing he could use it to it's full potential.

and that's not a bad thing:P

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 29, 2010 20:11 |  #95

Back in the 70s having an SLR seemed pretty normal. Now it seems pretty much so for DSLR. But I think in reality we just notice more because we have joined in the fray. Like when you buy a new car and you never really noticed that model on the road, and then suddenly you see all kinds of them rolling around, many the same color. They were probably there all along, you just noticed more because you now were a proud owner.

chomish
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 29, 2010 20:25 |  #96

mastertech01 wrote in post #9896295 (external link)
Back in the 70s having an SLR seemed pretty normal. Now it seems pretty much so for DSLR. But I think in reality we just notice more because we have joined in the fray. Like when you buy a new car and you never really noticed that model on the road, and then suddenly you see all kinds of them rolling around, many the same color. They were probably there all along, you just noticed more because you now were a proud owner.

Great point!!! Happens all the time with me with the car thing. Well said.

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 03, 2010 17:19 as a reply to  @ post 9892632 |  #97

What seems to be some of the feeling in this thread is if someone uses their camera in auto mode then they don't deserve it..... I bet there are not many of us who use our cameras to their full capacity and have "outgrown" them. Does that mean we don't deserve them?

Does my new 1Ds Mk2 have a green box?!:lol: (shameless I've just bought one of those comments!:oops:)

Mark
Gear List

7Ddame
214 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 03, 2010 17:26 |  #98

not here! everyone looks at me like I'm a paparazzi or something when I have my 7D out.. and my coworkers think I'm insane for spending money on such a thing.

CANON7D ηifty-fifty | Σ 85 ƒ/1.4 | Σ 30 ƒ/1.4 | Tokiηa 11-16mm ƒ/2.8 | Kεηko tubεs | Cαnoη Spεεdℓitε 430εx II | αb b800 |
wishlist : Canon 100mm 2.8L IS, vagabond mini, mola demi bd
-ℓovε ƒor τhε αrt -

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 03, 2010 17:29 |  #99

everybody has one, and everybody is out to make money w/ it.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 03, 2010 17:39 |  #100

kouasupra wrote in post #9893425 (external link)
There's plenty of amateurs with dlsr now a days using kit lens. The way you can tell that they're still an amateur is when the built in flash pops up when they're taking pictures of their kid(s) or families.

That was happening to one of the parents at the track meet today- on a beautiful, sunny day. Didn't irk me nearly as much as the guy who had two 1D series cameras and never touched one of them.

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,794 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 03, 2010 17:54 |  #101

theextremist04 wrote in post #9927162 (external link)
That was happening to one of the parents at the track meet today- on a beautiful, sunny day. Didn't irk me nearly as much as the guy who had two 1D series cameras and never touched one of them.

On a beatiful sunny day, when I take shots of my family I use a flash for fill light...... My 5D2 has no pop up one so I always carry my flash with me for that sort of occasions. Yes, I am an amateur... :)

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 03, 2010 18:11 as a reply to  @ vk2gwk's post |  #102

Yeah, I agree with this observation. Practically everyone wields a DSLR these days. It's actually surprising, because to most amateur photographers, I would have thought that size would be the deciding factor, not the functionality that most wouldn't even use, or the added image quality that some wouldn't even notice.

That aside however, if you want to stand out amongst the crowd these days, use one of those small little film SLRs that have a real shutter clunk and a 'Zen-like' film advance lever, manual focus and all. They look great, these vintage film SLRs, and they're really compact most of the time. I used them for a time and it was real fun, a good getaway from the automation of today's cameras, but the film development time and expense really got to me after a while.

Or buy into an older DSLR from the 1-series. I still get glances from photogs when using a 1Ds MKI. People draw near and ask, 'Wow, is that film or digital?'

Haha! :lol:

I hook up old manual focus lenses on the 1Ds as well which gives me the best of both worlds...digital files but the feel of a manual focus lens and camera, and the image quality is just remarkable, by the way. Leica lenses for example, don't cost all that much if you look at it carefully, and I got 3 for the price of a single 24-105L.

LightWorks Portfolio (external link)
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiae (external link)
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 03, 2010 18:20 |  #103

All i wanted to ask was... Do u guys notice the spike in DSLR use like i do and what do u think is causing it?

Everbody got super defensive all of a sudden like im talking about them.

Because there are loads of bitter hacks on this forum, they shoot crap, deliver crap and then talk crap. They together are like 100 kids left to themselves at someone's house just tearing the place down. My question is what is going to be left of the industry when we reach maximum saturation? I think it is fine if everyone has a camera, the problem is now that everyone is also a professional.

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 03, 2010 19:32 |  #104

I shoot high school sports and sometimes, they seem to come out of the woodwork. It's pretty easy to spot the amateurs, because they sit in the bleachers and shoot their pics even if the backstop is in the way. Then there are some that get up close to the backstop and shoot through it.

At the baseball game Friday afternoon, there were two other guys besides myself covering the game, and a dad with a camera. No doubt, he had more than one chicken in his pot (Nikon with big lens).

And a friend of mine was shooting through the backstop and the balloons were giving him a hard time as the wind had kicked up.

Later at the Lacrosse match, there were still a handfull of photogs until it got to be ISO 6400 time. Then the numbers dropped off to three.

1) Trouble with balloons

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …stringer/Misc/0​1Kevin.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

2) DWAC...and a big lens!

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …_stringer/Misc/​02DWAC.jpg (external link)

3) Note the pop-up flash ready for action! :-)

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …_stringer/Misc/​03GWAC.jpg (external link)

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 03, 2010 19:45 as a reply to  @ MT Stringer's post |  #105

i do love the invasion of the monopod people:D

i was shooting HDR landscapes, since the clouds were beautiful that one day, with my cheap-o dynex tripod when someone with a hubble telescope with monopod jammed onto a 1000D asked me if i wanted to switch over to a monopod. his was carbon fiber, btw.

i asked him how could i take HDR on a timer so that i don't get artifact from camera shake on a monopod? stake the thing into the ground and hope it doesn't fall over?

"HDR? does my camera have that feature?"

sponsored links

30,864 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.