Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 00:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 04, 2010 13:12 |  #121
bannedPermanent ban

mfiery wrote in post #9928132 (external link)
I've found this forum to be an amazing source of information. I have been waiting to buy a DSLR and stumbled across this forum about a month ago and have been soaking in as much information as I can before the T2i gets here and have learned an incredible amount so far.

There are always the people that will take issue with anything that is said now. From what I've seen, the posts on this forum are from people who are extremely willing to share their experience and varying levels of expertise and those that are taking the time and effort to learn new skills and better themselves. Typically the people that have become good photographers, have put in the time to be good. As a former D1 basketball player, most people just don't understand the amount of work that goes into being good (or great) at something. When this time is spent, a certain amount of pride comes along with it, and deservingly so. There are always the wannabes who tell people that they are on the team (or are a good photographer) but never put the effort in to excel in their field and are not capable of understanding what it takes.

So when responding to posts here you have to understand where most of the people are coming from, and in this case we have people who are passionate about photography and have spent lots of time behind the lens perfecting their techniques. I know a good orthopedic surgeon to replace that chip on your shoulder...

The chip is not on my shoulder...it's on the shoulder of everyone who complains about all the newbees with DSLR's when they should only be carrying a P&S. I guess they did not pay their union dues and have been kicked out of this elite circle of photographers.

sponsored links
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 04, 2010 13:20 |  #122

kouasupra wrote in post #9893425 (external link)
There's plenty of amateurs with dlsr now a days using kit lens. The way you can tell that they're still an amateur is when the built in flash pops up when they're taking pictures of their kid(s) or families.

Your profile lists you as an IT Trainer, I guess that makes you as much of a photography amateur as someone using a pop up flash when not required.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 04, 2010 13:21 |  #123

i speak for myself only, but i dont mind people having DSLR's if they know they are not ansel adams and are willing and trying to learn and get better, a.k.a. use the most out of your equipment. thats what every photographer tries to do, get better. problem is, 80% of the people with DSLR's do not that attitude and thats what pisses me off.

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 4x5
Lenses: 28/1.8,
85/1.8, Sekor Z 110/2.8, Sekor ULD 50 4.5, Schneider SA 75/5.6
Other: CanoScan 8800F
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/www.Robe​rtKauffman.netwww.RobertKauffman.net

chomish
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 04, 2010 13:22 |  #124

Hogloff wrote in post #9931219 (external link)
The chip is not on my shoulder...it's on the shoulder of everyone who complains about all the newbees with DSLR's when they should only be carrying a P&S. I guess they did not pay their union dues and have been kicked out of this elite circle of photographers.

I think your wrong in saying im "COMPLAINING" on why so many are carrying DSLR's.

Again i was just asking why do u guys think its happening?
Is it price? Is it technology? etc.

I find it funny at how so many automatically got so defensive at the question.

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

neil_r
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 04, 2010 13:25 |  #125

This thread is unbelievable.

Why should anyone give a toss who has what, how on earth does it affect you. Live and let live is a great starting point for harmony.

How can kauffman V36 think he has insight into what 80% of people using cameras are thinking?

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 04, 2010 13:30 |  #126

neil, i have conducted a nationwide study asking just that and found that to be the results....

no, of course i havent. of the many people with slr's that i have met ill say about 80% have no intention of learning the camera, the fundamentals, or anythign for that matter...all the while thinking they know everything about photography. green box mode is fine, any mode is fine, i really dont care. but if you dont know what your talking abotu then shut your mouth and try to learn and understand. thats exactly what i do when i dont know something, i dont go rambling about the subject and all this mumbo jumbo when really i am clueless on the subject. a lot of people ive met do this and its obnoxious and not needed.

oh, and if one has no intention of learning, or getting better, then yes, please get rid of your camera and do something you have some actual interest in. if you dnt have any pursuit for anything in life and learning anything then you are of no use to anybody, or urself. please move to a small remote island thats communist where ambition and determination are not needed. :D

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/www.Robe​rtKauffman.netwww.RobertKauffman.net

neil_r
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 04, 2010 13:31 |  #127

kauffman v36 wrote in post #9931290 (external link)
neil, i have conducted a nationwide study asking just that and found that to be the results....

bw! :lol:

Neil - © NHR Photography

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 04, 2010 13:33 |  #128

lmao, i know someone would get a kick out of that.

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 04, 2010 13:37 |  #129

The Green Box Crowd was out in force yesterday at a local Easter egg hunt. I found myself wondering what percentage of them could provide a basic explanation of the exposure triangle of shutter, aperture, and ISO.

People can use whatever camera they want, of course, but I can understand why enthusiasts like many of us here on POTN cringe when the see today's tools underutilized in the hands of whatever DSLR the kid at Best Buy sent them out the door with. It just seems like they would all take better pictures if they'd bother to do even a couple hours of reading.

Gear List

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 04, 2010 13:38 |  #130

^^^exactly. an hour of reading would make their results exponentially better. but they dont want to.

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 04, 2010 14:05 |  #131

I see a lot of people driving fancy sports cars that shouldn't be driving a Ford Focus fast. I see many under qualified people purchasing carpentry equipement at the Home Depot and many other hardware outlets that couldn't set a square much less build a project with pro quality. I see many folks especially being an auto technician, bring in thier cars for RE-REPAIR after they butch it all up trying to fix it themselves. People working over the plumbing in their homes that shouldn't be trusted to even change an oring in the garden hose.

But not one bit of that is ANY OF MY DAMNED BUSINESS. People in America are free to try anything they arent qualified to do as long as they are prepared to pay for any consequences. Some of those folks end up doing a pretty damned good job too, and save themselves a lot of money, and dont have to worry about being scammed by some PROFESSIONAL thieves.

Try not to be so judgemental. Im sure almost every one here has done something along these lines to save money and/or just to feel proud of when you are done, and more importantly to get the atta boy from friends and family. Thank God we dont have to rely completely on skilled qualified professionals for everything!

kauffman ­ v36
778 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 04, 2010 14:12 |  #132

if i was a professional carpenter id sure as hell be worried about soccer moms buying carpentry equipment. but i get your point and your right, everyone does these things to an extent, guilty as charged, im not ASE certified and i do all the work on my car.

DoomMan
543 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 04, 2010 14:28 |  #133

on another note, ive only seen one other person who had a canon 1-series in person

5dII |135L| 35L| 85L| 24-70L| 540ez
www.DaneVanLizzen.com (external link)

chomish
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 04, 2010 14:47 |  #134

neil_r wrote in post #9931270 (external link)
This thread is unbelievable.

Why should anyone give a toss who has what, how on earth does it affect you. Live and let live is a great starting point for harmony.

How can kauffman V36 think he has insight into what 80% of people using cameras are thinking?

I think your unbelievable for not understanding the question.

I dont really ccare what people are using or how theyre using it.

I was just wondering what u guys thought is causing the spike in DSLR use. Thats it!

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

neil_r
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 04, 2010 15:00 |  #135

chomish wrote in post #9931680 (external link)
I think your unbelievable for not understanding the question.

Calm down, no need to be so defensive, I do understand your question and I have no problem with the OP, what I fund unbelievable is some of the subsequent posts where there is almost contempt being shown for people who are being deemed unworthy to use a camera.

I have a few cameras and think I know how to use them. I also have a great set of golf clubs which I certainly do not use very well. what i do with my Camera, Golf Clubs, Car or anything else is my business, what anyone else does with theirs is of concern to them and them alone.

Neil - © NHR Photography

sponsored links

30,754 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just me or do u guys see it too? Everybody has a DSLR nowadays.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.