Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Mar 2010 (Monday) 17:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Article on the future of pro photography

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 29, 2010 17:46 |  #1

Nothing we haven't heard already, but here it is:

http://www.nytimes.com …ness/media/30ph​otogs.html (external link)

The lady in the pic has some nice camera handling skills, lol.

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 29, 2010 17:51 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

In other words the professionals are being screwed by people doing it for fun? I don't even have to read the article !

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Grimes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 29, 2010 18:13 |  #3

Karl Johnston wrote in post #9895559 (external link)
In other words the professionals are being screwed by people doing it for fun? I don't even have to read the article !

Haha, I do have mixed feelings - on one hand it sucks that the career path is so limited nowadays. On the other hand, I don't want to be the the buggy whip maker complaining about the automobile!

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

dbvirago
364 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 29, 2010 18:27 |  #4

Yeah, I had read this earlier from another link.
Times are tough. Times are changing. Deal with it or fail.

You're right, it could have been written a hundred years ago in Buggy Whips Illustrated.

Darryl

http://www.brooksimage​s.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/brooksimages (external link)
http://twitter.com/#!/​dbvirago (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 29, 2010 18:28 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

It'd be nice if they would write more uplifting things from time to time. I stopped reading the news because It's all depressing.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

IndyJeff
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Mar 29, 2010 23:13 |  #6

The best part of the article was

“It used to be you really needed to know how to use a camera,” said Keith Marlowe, a photographer who has worked for Spin and Rolling Stone. “If you messed up a roll, you couldn’t redo the concert.” Now, though, any photographer can instantly see if a shot is good, or whether the light balances or other technical aspects need to be adjusted.

Earlier this month at the Indiana state gymnastics finals I saw a guy who literally shot 50-60 shots before the competition began just trying to dial in his camera. I almost told him to put it on auto and see what the settings were but, I figured I'd just let him work it out. In film days this guy would have never had a camera in his hand and would have paid for photos of his little darling.
What made it even worse he was standing in an area on the balconly clearly marked PRESS PHOTOGRAPHERS ONLY but, no one said a word to him and before it was over there was about 8 moms and dads with cameras and video cameras crowding in. Fortunately I only had one school to shoot and a chair to sit in when they weren't doing something so my spot was well staked out and I wasn't moving come hell or high water LOL.

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 30, 2010 00:07 |  #7

IndyJeff wrote in post #9897291 (external link)
The best part of the article was

Earlier this month at the Indiana state gymnastics finals I saw a guy who literally shot 50-60 shots before the competition began just trying to dial in his camera. I almost told him to put it on auto and see what the settings were but, I figured I'd just let him work it out. In film days this guy would have never had a camera in his hand and would have paid for photos of his little darling.
What made it even worse he was standing in an area on the balconly clearly marked PRESS PHOTOGRAPHERS ONLY but, no one said a word to him and before it was over there was about 8 moms and dads with cameras and video cameras crowding in. Fortunately I only had one school to shoot and a chair to sit in when they weren't doing something so my spot was well staked out and I wasn't moving come hell or high water LOL.

Last year at the LAX state finals they gave anyone with a camera a media pass, so there I was trying to get the official photos for the event and had moms and dads, some literally with cell phone cameras, on the field in the celebration getting in the way - one mom with a camera and video tripod kept apologizing for it being in the way when she had no right being there in the first place. IF it happens again there will be parents kicked out immediately, this state and the people in charge at these events need to realize they are being paid by a company to have exclusivity and do something about it. (Not me paying, but working for them btw).

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 30, 2010 00:09 |  #8

Karl Johnston wrote in post #9895738 (external link)
It'd be nice if they would write more uplifting things from time to time. I stopped reading the news because It's all depressing.

If only there was more uplifting news when it comes to this profession, but unfortunately most photographers I know are barely getting by or changing the way they do things. I know I am and it's been working, hopefully continues.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 30, 2010 02:41 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

The last line takes the cake of that article.

“I never followed any traditional photography rules only because I didn’t know of any — I never went to photography school, never took any classes,” she said. “People don’t know the rules, so they just shoot what they like — and other people like it, too.”

We're all screwed. :rolleyes: Pro and consumer alike.

Oh and lets not forget good old google and their ads at the bottom of every article.

Ads by Google what's this?
Shutterstock® Stock Photo
Download 750 images for just $249 Over 10 Million Royalty-Free Photos
www.Shutterstock.com (external link)
iStockphoto
Find the Perfect Stock Photos. Download 1 Free Image Each Week!
iStockphoto.com

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 30, 2010 05:12 as a reply to  @ Karl Johnston's post |  #10

That quote was one of the most ironic things I noticed about the article Karl. Let's complain about the death of the profitability of photography and then have an ad for a micro stock agency at the end of it.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 30, 2010 06:44 |  #11

Grimes wrote in post #9895653 (external link)
Haha, I do have mixed feelings - on one hand it sucks that the career path is so limited nowadays. On the other hand, I don't want to be the the buggy whip maker complaining about the automobile!

or the typesetters complaining about the internet or adding machine operators complaining about computers (and the term 'computer' used to refer to a person who calculates!)

jstnmarsh
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 30, 2010 07:06 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #12

The Internet has opened a wide gate for the spread of some good knowledge about anything under the sun and that includes the skills of photography too. There are plenty of sites where you could learn about the tips and tricks to be a pro in this field. Not that you will become a pro just by reading these articles, but at-least you will have the knowledge and just need to practice it.

Chat for your website (external link)

lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 30, 2010 09:39 as a reply to  @ jstnmarsh's post |  #13

I had a long philosophical response to this thread and realized that it could be summed up with the following:

All the low hanging fruit is disappearing. Change your strategy, get creative, and you (professional photographers) will be fine.

I'm sure there will always be a place for profitable photography, it'll just be more competitive and competition isn't always a bad thing.

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 30, 2010 10:18 |  #14

lankforddl wrote in post #9899423 (external link)
I had a long philosophical response to this thread and realized that it could be summed up with the following:

All the low hanging fruit is disappearing. Change your strategy, get creative, and you (professional photographers) will be fine.

I'm sure there will always be a place for profitable photography, it'll just be more competitive and competition isn't always a bad thing.

Using your analogy, the higher fruit is just getting lower too. Assignment photography has been affected as much as the low hanging fruit you refer to. It's just something we have to live with, it doesn't do much good to ****. When photographers have to compete with the woman who proudly proclaims she has no interest in learning the craft what can they do? What non pros fail to understand is that creativity will only take you so far, the bottom line is money. There are fewer jobs to be had by more people, it's just Economics 101. Supply and demand will always affect price, when the price gets too low to make a living the pros are going to have tighten their belts. I don't know a single pro who isn't hurting at least a little bit right now. Please tell the auto workers and other factory workers who have lost jobs that if they just have more creativity they will be just fine. ;)

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

NeoSoulPhoto
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 30, 2010 13:07 |  #15

Industries change, and business people need to be able to change with it. Maybe the photojournalists need to start doing weddings or something and stop complaining.

www.flickr.com/neosoul​photo (external link)
jeffersonlawsphotograp​hy.com (external link)PLEASE BE A FAN ON FB!!! http://www.facebook.co​m/Neosoulphoto (external link)
Nikon D90, D5000, Nikon 50mm ƒ1.4, Nikon 18-105,Nikon 35mm ƒ1.8,

sponsored links

2,788 views & 0 likes for this thread
Article on the future of pro photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.