Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 22:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adviсe needed: 7D & lens or 1Dmk4?

Cross_X
37 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 30, 2010 22:03 |  #1

Dear POTN members:
I seek your advice;)
My case is pretty easy, though it keeps me in a weird mood as I can't make the decision(
As for now, my gear consists of the 5Dmk2, 24-70, 16-35, 135 and 85 - all L-series.
the 5Dmk2 was an upgrade from a 40D, the 7D wasn't available yet, so I didn't see any other options.
I occasionally borrow a 70-200 2.8 IS and a 500mm prime from my father.
I am being troubled by two things: first, I am not quite satisfied with the burst of 5Dmk2 - it feels a bit slow for me(it's 3.9fps vs 6.5 on 40D). That troubles me quite a bit, as most of my photograph is devoted to mu son, and this 2-year old fella is just like me - won't stay in the same place for 5 seconds. So here comes the problem - the amount of photos that I keep is twice less than that from the period when I used the 40D. When looking through the archives, I clearly see that the speed was an important factor - When I bought the 5Dmk2 I didn't think it will pose a problem, but it turns out I was wrong.
Second, is that, when using the cropped 40D I never needed a telephoto zoom lens - 24-70 and the 85 prime were sufficient enough. Now, as the new 70-200 came out, I think it might be a good investment to get one of those, as I have a lot of experience with the 1st version and it's an amazing lens, in my understanding.
The bottom line, as I see it: two paths:
a) Downgrade the 5Dmk2 to a 7D, as it's twice as fast, and get a new 70-200. That's within my abilities and is easily doable.
b) Stay with the same lens, but upgrade the 5Dmk2 to a 1Dmk4.
It's pretty much the same when it comes to calculating the cost for the 1st and 2nd choices. I'm struggling which path to take, as, on the one hand, I know that 70-200 is a great lens, but, on the other hand, the mk4 is a great body. The budget for photography is set for this year, so there won't be any significant additions until the next February or so..

There is, of course, another way, like to get a slightly used 1Dmk3 and the 1st version of 70-200 2.8 IS,or wait a while and get the 2nd, but somehow I don't feel like going this path.
And, of course, there is another one: keep the body and get the lens, but I don't think I'm going to achieve my goals this way.

I would greatly appreciate all advice and suggestions..

Best regards, Alex
No more digital. Medium format all the way

Harlz
218 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 30, 2010 22:28 |  #2

By all means if you have the dosh to splurge on a 1D4, why not? If you don't need full frame, the 1D4 is a better camera afterall. Personally, I thought only sports pros would need that sort of speed.

5DII - Flickr (external link)
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS, 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 400mm f/5.6L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II and EF 500mm f/4L IS.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 30, 2010 22:28 |  #3

whatever lens you choose..I will go for the 1DMKIV :)

at least your 85mm will become 110mm with the 1.3 crop of the 1DMKIV and you might not need the 70-200mm f/2.8 anymore

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

Talaska
605 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 09, 2010 00:11 as a reply to  @ monk3y's post |  #4

Personally I would keep the 5D MkII for now and buy the 7D along with the 70-200mm F4 IS L lens if you could swing it. I think you might like having 2 body's so you wouldn't have to switch lenses all the time, and if you find that you never use the 5D MkII you could always sell that down the road. The 70-200mm f4 IS L lens would be just as sharp if not sharper than the f2.8 version, much lighter and half the price unless you need the extra stop of light. Plus the 7D is an awesome camera, and unless you need a pro body I think the 7D would serve you fine.

1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 7D, 1.4X MkIII, 2X MkIII, 17-40mm L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS Mk II L, 100mm macro, 500mm f4 IS L, 24-105mm f4 L, 580 EX II, 550EX

James ­ Wheeler
194 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 09, 2010 00:29 |  #5

Bodies come and go, good glass will last you forever... work with glass in mind. Once you have the quality glass you need, then worry about the body.

I would go with the 70-200 and 7D option initially. One day look at getting a 1D of whichever incarnation is out at the time.

My Flickr Page (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

980 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adviсe needed: 7D & lens or 1Dmk4?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.