Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 30 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 23:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you turn off the Canon 9500 Pro printer driver's color managing in OSX

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 30, 2010 23:26 |  #1

Can someone take me through the exact steps in turning the printer driver's color management OFF (I'm having Ps CS4 manage the color) using a Canon Pixma 9500 Pro Mark II with an OSX iMac, please?

I can't get a decent print out of this machine - the colors are dull and darkish and the b/w's stink (dark & mushy overall and the blacks are not dark enough).

Tried a few papers, including HP's Premium Glossy (not even sure what profile to use for that stuff), and Ilford's Smooth Pearl (somewhat better) and NO luck with b/w Gekko papers (black or red).

I can't seem to find any control in the menus which allow me to turn off the printer driver's color control and I'm thinking maybe I have two elements controlling the colors.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 31, 2010 11:13 |  #2

What OSX?

Don't have a Canon printer anymore, but for my Epson it's here (OSX 10.4.11):

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

rw2
Goldmember
4,201 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 31, 2010 12:09 |  #3

This is for a Pro 9000 and Windows.
On the main properties page under color intensity select manual.
Then select set and that opens the box on the right. Select none under color correction.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

If you're afraid of failure ... you'll never succeed!
Rob

guzzibob
442 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 31, 2010 17:23 |  #4

b.d.bop wrote in post #9904367 (external link)
Can someone take me through the exact steps in turning the printer driver's color management OFF (I'm having Ps CS4 manage the color) using a Canon Pixma 9500 Pro Mark II with an OSX iMac, please?

I can't get a decent print out of this machine - the colors are dull and darkish and the b/w's stink (dark & mushy overall and the blacks are not dark enough).

Tried a few papers, including HP's Premium Glossy (not even sure what profile to use for that stuff), and Ilford's Smooth Pearl (somewhat better) and NO luck with b/w Gekko papers (black or red).

I can't seem to find any control in the menus which allow me to turn off the printer driver's color control and I'm thinking maybe I have two elements controlling the colors.

Ran into the same problem with my new 9000 Mk2 and OSX 10.6. Went round & round, finally emailed Canon for help and was told that using ColorSync was the proper way to go. They sent me an image file and had me print it Letting the printer manage color, then let Lightroom manage it with ColorSync selected. Color was very close. I've since made sure my monitor calibration is current and that I have the correct lighting to view my prints and I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 01, 2010 16:30 |  #5

René Damkot wrote in post #9906893 (external link)
What OSX?

Don't have a Canon printer anymore, but for my Epson it's here (OSX 10.4.11):
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

Thanks so much for your input, Rene. I don't seem to have the "Color Management" heading in my drop down menu in the printer dialog. It has Color Matching and Color Options, but no Color Managemnent with the dialog.

I don't even know how I could get to the Color Sync radio button if I wanted to do what guzzibob suggested.

Any ideas for me? :cry:

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 01, 2010 16:36 |  #6

Did you follow the instructions and screen shot for the 9000 from rw2 a couple posts up? I'd imagine that your setup would be much the same -- you get to it from a Print dialog and the Properties box.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 01, 2010 16:42 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #9915503 (external link)
Did you follow the instructions and screen shot for the 9000 from rw2 a couple posts up? I'd imagine that your setup would be much the same -- you get to it from a Print dialog and the Properties box.

Tony, I have nothing (that I know of) that even remotely looks like those screen shots rw2 provided (thanks, rw2!). I'm on a Mac and this is a Pixma Pro 9500 mII.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 01, 2010 18:56 |  #8

Can you post a screen shot of what you get when you open a Print dialog and select Properties, or give us a very detailed description? I'm sure it's there, you just have to know where.

FYI, I don't have a Canon printer, so I can't step you through things, but it should come up very similar to the rw2 screen, I would think. I won't say "Ass-u-me" though:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 01, 2010 20:24 |  #9

Mark, have a look here (external link).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 05, 2010 22:50 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #10

Thanks, both Tony's!! This is maddening. I have spent so much time on the phone with tech support and still haven't gotten anywhere with this issue.

There is no way I can find to use Color Management - there are only Color Matching and Color Options drop downs in the available menus, and even using those, the options are grayed out and deactivated.

Look at this: http://forums.adobe.co​m/message/1927440#1927​440 (external link) and this: http://forums.dpreview​.com …rum=1003&messag​e=34105159 (external link)

Seems I'm not the only one running into this, and I'm gathering that this problem is with Apple. I don't understand the workarounds that are being suggested and it doesn't seem right that one should have to use a workaround, anyway, with Adobe's CS4 and an $800 Canon pro printer on a relatively new loaded iMac Snow Leopard. Mwaaaaaaa...

So I'm lost at this point. I thank you for your efforts, didn't mean to leave things hanging without replying - seems you have to be a real color management expert to even get through the explanatory literature when terms like "untagged" or "AWB" are used without explanation.

Hell, I got through medical school with honors and six years of surgical residency and 26 years of practice, but this color printing thing seems to be beyond me. I bow to you photo geniuses!! :cry:

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 05, 2010 23:02 |  #11

Mark,

After you choose "Print" from the Photoshop dialog, another dialog box should open. This is the Canon printer dialog. From the third pull-down menu of this box there is no item called "Color Options" or such?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 05, 2010 23:23 |  #12

Tony-S wrote in post #9940820 (external link)
Mark,

After you choose "Print" from the Photoshop dialog, another dialog box should open. This is the Canon printer dialog. From the third pull-down menu of this box there is no item called "Color Options" or such?

There's none there, Tony.

Only Color Match (which has drop down ColorSync and Vendor Matching radio buttons grayed out) and Color Options which has nothing to do with turning off Color Management.

Mac ­ Mahon
71 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 30, 2010 22:00 |  #13

b.d.bop wrote in post #9904367 (external link)

Mark

Did you solve this? I have a Canon Pro9000 that I use to print to Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl using Mac OS 10.6.3. I get very acceptable prints using Ilford's profile (http://www.ilford.com …index_en.asp?ty​pe=profile (external link)). I believe that Pro9000 and the Pro9500 drivers are very similar.

Once I choose "Photoshop manages colors" and select the Ilford profile, the driver leaves nothing more to do - ColorSync is automatically chosen (grayed out in the Color Matching drop-down) and all potential color adjustments are also grayed out (under the color options drop-down).

You are not required to actively select 'no color adjustment/management' - it 's all done automatically.

You do need to select "Photo Paper Plus Glossy" for the media type (under the Quality and Media drop-down) for the IGSP Pro9000 profile to print optimally (that's Ilford's recommendation: (http://www.ilford.com …erie/PrintWithG​alerie.asp (external link)) - they are right according to my experiments). Any other choice produces prints that vary from "slightly off greens and blues" to "absolute garbage".

I would guess that for your other papers finding the best Canon media setting will also be important.

Hope this helps.

Tim

PS FWIW I've spent countless hours and bits of paper trying to improve on Ilford's profile only to conclude that they've done a pretty good job!https://photography-on-the.net …/smilies/icon_r​edface.gif

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 01, 2010 06:54 |  #14

Missed the replies in this thread.

PSCS3 is different, so the screenshots from the link in post #9 won't apply I think. PSCS4 should indeed do this automatically.
Was (is) buggy (external link) in OS 10.4.11 using my Epson. (The reason I still use PSCS2 for printing)

I'd assume that using OSX 10.6 and the latest printer driver should work however.

If you have an older version of PS, try that.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

b.d.bop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 02, 2010 21:31 |  #15

Mac Mahon wrote in post #10099136 (external link)
Mark

Did you solve this? I have a Canon Pro9000 that I use to print to Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl using Mac OS 10.6.3. I get very acceptable prints using Ilford's profile (http://www.ilford.com …index_en.asp?ty​pe=profile (external link)). I believe that Pro9000 and the Pro9500 drivers are very similar.

Once I choose "Photoshop manages colors" and select the Ilford profile, the driver leaves nothing more to do - ColorSync is automatically chosen (grayed out in the Color Matching drop-down) and all potential color adjustments are also grayed out (under the color options drop-down).

You are not required to actively select 'no color adjustment/management' - it 's all done automatically.

You do need to select "Photo Paper Plus Glossy" for the media type (under the Quality and Media drop-down) for the IGSP Pro9000 profile to print optimally (that's Ilford's recommendation: (http://www.ilford.com …erie/PrintWithG​alerie.asp (external link)) - they are right according to my experiments). Any other choice produces prints that vary from "slightly off greens and blues" to "absolute garbage".

I would guess that for your other papers finding the best Canon media setting will also be important.

Hope this helps.

Tim

PS FWIW I've spent countless hours and bits of paper trying to improve on Ilford's profile only to conclude that they've done a pretty good job!https://photography-on-the.net …/smilies/icon_r​edface.gif

Hi Mac,
After many tech support discussions with both Mac and Canon, I am advised with this printer to use the "Printer Manages the Color" option (NOT "Photoshop Manages the Color" option) and to go through the Automate>Canon Easy Photo Print Pro dialogue rather than File>Print dialogue.

What do you think?

@Rene: Thanks, Rene. I don't have any earlier versions of Ps, and after pouring in this many dollars for this new printer it would be inconceivable for me to find out that it doesn't work with the CS4 edition of Ps. Canon seems to suggest that the problem lies with Adobe and that there are certain incompatibilities as a result which require work-arounds. Grrrrr...

sponsored links

12,165 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you turn off the Canon 9500 Pro printer driver's color managing in OSX
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.