Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 23:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting started with the TS-E (24mm Mk1 vs Mk2)

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 31, 2010 23:32 |  #1

I'm thinking of venturing into TS-E territory for the first time ever. I clearly appreciate what shift can do for me and my converging verticals as well as panos, but tilt, well I guess I will just play with it.

The question is, since I'm just starting out, is the old 24 TS-E a wiser decision since I can obtain one at much less compared to the new Mk2? Or is it so soft that it isn't even worth owning at that price? I'm shooting on the 5DMk2.

sponsored links
breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 01, 2010 08:24 |  #2

I've been shooting commercial work with the old version for almost 4 years and never had a client complain about softness. I'll be the first to admit that it isn't tack sharp but it isn't what I would call soft. It suffers a bit from CA too but nobody has complained about that either. It would depend on how much of a sharpness junkie you are, if you can't stand the thought that there is something better than by all means get version 2. For me the economy says I'll be sticking with version 1 for now.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 01, 2010 09:11 |  #3

http://golfshots.shutt​rr.com …-back-into-golf-in-spain/ (external link)

check out these samples from a the tse 24mm stitched for pano. to me they are not soft. (they are really downsized and compressed for web)

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 01, 2010 09:57 |  #4

I owned version I for a long time, and the lens was soft, suffered from prominent barrel distortion, and had considerable cyan/red chromatic aberrations. The distortion and the CA were easy to correct, but the softness was pretty bad.

Here's an example of the TS-E 24 version 1. Colors and contrast are nice, it does its job as a tilt-shift, but even at f/8 (this picture) it's just not that sharp, especially in the periphery.

For that reason, I think it may not be worth the price for some people. I loved this lens, loved using it, but for the $900 I paid for it I expected better performance.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L
Film gear: Agfa 8x10, Cambo 4x5, Noblex 150, Hasselblad 500 C/M

advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 01, 2010 10:18 as a reply to  @ DrPablo's post |  #5

I think it depends on the luck of the draw. Like all lenses, there is the chance that one lens will disappoint while another will impress. If you trade or buy from an individual, you hope to be lucky. If you buy from a retailer, you can send it back if you aren't happy.

I took a chance and traded for one and I think I lucked out

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 01, 2010 11:53 |  #6

I have not used the new 24 (I have had one on order for 10 weeks though) just the new 17 and old 24 in the wide ones. The old 24 has lots of CA but both are a little soft in extreme shifted corners. The origional 24 is worse way sooner in the corners than the 17. On a 5D mk II I would go for the new lens. I liked it better on the origional 5D. The old lens is not a horrid lens (as one would feel reading the web) but I think the high resolution a 21 mp system does bring out its weakness.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,497 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 01, 2010 11:55 |  #7

I've not used the old version, but the markII is incredibly sharp.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 02, 2010 00:32 |  #8

Cool, thanks for all the feedback and the photo samples. Hmm....maybe I might pass on the Mk1 - value is not about absolute lowest price, it's what you get for the price. I would be buying 2ndhand so no chance of returns.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,497 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 02, 2010 07:27 as a reply to  @ Lightstream's post |  #9

The independent rotation of the tilt and shift is another plus on the mark II.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 02, 2010 09:48 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #10

I've got a MkI version at work and used it for an extensive project last winter. On the 40D it was plenty sharp enough when focused with live view. I'm a serious pixel peeper too. I'm certainly not saying that its the sharpest lens around, but it did the job fine. One of these days I'm going to try it on the 5D2.

For the cost difference, I don't see where you could go wrong with the MkI.

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

Mike ­ Bell
Goldmember
2,977 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 02, 2010 12:29 as a reply to  @ District_History_Fan's post |  #11

Are you sure 24mm is the focal length you want? Maybe a good choice on a crop body but 24 is quite wide on full frame. I recently added a 45mm TS-E to the 24mm TS-E Mk1 I already had. Despite not being an L the 45 is just as sharp or sharper and the tilt function is a lot more useful. Just a thought.

Canon EOS 5DS R EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM EF 28mm f/1.8 USM EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM TS-E 17mm f/4L TS-E 45mm f/2.8 TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

Mike ­ Bell
Goldmember
2,977 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 02, 2010 12:33 |  #12

windpig wrote in post #9918802 (external link)
The independent rotation of the tilt and shift is another plus on the mark II.

Having tilt and shift in the same plane can be useful and the Mk 1 can be modified to this configuration in a few minutes if you have the right screwdriver.

Canon EOS 5DS R EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM EF 28mm f/1.8 USM EF 85mm F1.4L IS USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM TS-E 17mm f/4L TS-E 45mm f/2.8 TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 02, 2010 14:50 |  #13

Mike Bell wrote in post #9920332 (external link)
Are you sure 24mm is the focal length you want? Maybe a good choice on a crop body but 24 is quite wide on full frame. I recently added a 45mm TS-E to the 24mm TS-E Mk1 I already had. Despite not being an L the 45 is just as sharp or sharper and the tilt function is a lot more useful. Just a thought.

The 45 is my favorite TS-E on full frame and it is definitely sharper and way less CA than the origional 24. It was my first TS lens and it forced me to buy other ones (really it just kept telling me how it wanted its siblings to join it, what a nag). I still use it the most by a fair bit but I like the normal FOV. The 90 is versatile as well doing almost macro work at 1:3 and great for portraits.

You can see the problem with these TS-E's, they all are very useful.

Lightstream
THREAD ­ STARTER
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 04, 2010 05:06 |  #14

hmm....

new 24TS Mk2 - $2199.

This one..$1K.

I think it may have my interest again. The 24 is the FOV I want, actually I was mulling the 17TS. I plan to shoot landscapes, cityscapes, architecture, so it would be good to go as wide as I can - as it is I already use and abuse the 17-40 a lot.

ngrohosky
327 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 21, 2010 23:17 |  #15

i think you should get the 24mm ;) https://photography-on-the.net …&highlight=cano​n+24mm+tse

sponsored links

9,382 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting started with the TS-E (24mm Mk1 vs Mk2)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.