Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 01 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 14:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

let's talk brass tacks, how much for a movie?

Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2010 14:33 |  #1

EDIT: List has been updated to reflect the feedback... Thanks to everyone who contributed...

There are now two options for lenses, and two options for audio.

Hi forum,

i've been researching stuff on the interweb, and came up with a breakdown of the cost of acquiring the cheapest/best video production setup for a narrative (non-professional!!).

Breakdown:

Option I

Camera
Canon T2i/550D $800
Subtotal $800

Memory
2x 16GB Class 6/10 SDHC cards $90
Subtotal $90

Lenses
Fotodiox 7 Metal Step Up Ring Set $15
Fader ND filter 77mm $100
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 $600
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 $440
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 $260
Subtotal $1,415

Tripod
Davis & Sanford ProVista Airlift Tripod with Pneumatic Centerpost with FM18 Fluid Head & W3 Dolly OR 055XDB Tripod Legs (Black) with 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head - Supports 8.8 lbs $215
Subtotal $215

Follow Focus
D focus + 3 lens gears $200
LCDVF $160
Subtotal $360

Support rails
indiRAILSpro DSLR (includes quick release plate) $150
Subtotal $150

Audio
juicedlink cx211 $190
juicedlink dn101 $140
Rode NTG-2 Battery or Phantom Powered Condenser Shotgun Microphone KIT [B&h] $270
Boom Stand + pole (4m/12.8') $130
Muff $40
Subtotal $770

Bags $200 (I don't know if this is a fair estimate for bags to keep all this equipment in, anyone care to verify?)
Subtotal $200

Grand Total $4,000

Miscellaneous* $200

Grand Total + Misc. $4,200

Option II

Changes the lens and audio setup...

Lenses
Fotodiox 7 Metal Step Up Ring Set $15
Fader ND filter 77mm $100
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 $400
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 $260
Subtotal $775

Audio
Zoom H4n $300
Clapper $10
Tote Vision HS-1 Hot Shoe Mount for Tote Vision LCD Monitors $20
8GB SDHC Class 4 card $15
Windscreen $30
Subtotal $375

Grand Total $2,965

Miscellaneous* $200

Grand Total + Misc. $3,165

*"Miscellaneous" is for anything that might be missing from the list.

Option I lenses with Option II audio = $3,805
Option II lenses with Option I audio = $3,560

END EDIT.

Notes:
1. This is not a run and gun platform
2. The dolly might be useless without an external monitor (focusing issues)
3. You can get cheaper normal and medium tele lenses (with an adaptor)
4. You can get one lens gear with the D Focus totaling 160 instead of 200
5. You're looking for the best performance to price solutions
6. I am not a professional! There might be a major error in the assumptions
7. You are not a professional!
8. Products chosen based on reviews/price
9. You have a capable computer for post work.
10. You have some sort of script

Assumptions:
Camera:
1. You can find the t2i/550d body only
Lenses:
2. You can find the tokina 11-16mm
3. You don't need AF on your 85mm lens
4. Light gathering and sharpness are equally important for lenses
5. You need three focal lengths for a narrative (wide, normal, medium telephoto)
6. You want new lenses
7. Lens hoods instead of matte box is just fine
8. You need the ND filters to shoot wide open in bright daylight
Tripod:
9. Both tripods got good reviews on B&H, and you shouldn't spend less than $200 on a tripod
Follow Focus:
10. You can live without an external monitor
11. Three lens gears are better than one for the sake of practicality
Audio:
12. You can sync in post
13. You can do without a dedicated mic

i'm interested on what you guys think, attached is the excel spreadsheet if you'd like to modify it and share (or not).

Thanks!

sponsored links
int2str
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 01, 2010 14:42 |  #2

Looks alright (from this noob's perspective). I have to wonder though if you really need that many lenses right of the bat. Your spreadsheet doesn't mention video editing software btw. I bought Sony Vegas for $199 I believe.

I'm in the same boat right now and I'm actually wondering if I should get an external monitor instead of the LCDVF. If your rig is mainly tripod based, I think a monitor would come in much more handy than the LCDVF.

Fahad79
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2010 14:52 |  #3

^^ thanks for the reply...

Yeah this is a grand total of everything you'd need/want... you can break it down to essentials month by month or whatever...

speaking of the LCDVF... yeah an external monitor would be nice... but that'd be another $200-$250, with a dedicated battery pack... so roughly $300? that's not so bad... maybe i should add optional extras to the speadsheet

cheers.

Fahad79
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2010 15:12 |  #4

and speaking of editing and post work. yeah i didn't include it. this is simply the production part of a project. for post production:

you can do with Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro, some sort of Pinnacle, Premiere Elements, etc.

Vegas and Premiere Pro are the most popular among enthusiasts, Vegas being the cheaper (but just as capable, from what i hear) alternative.

if you have a newer computer with windows 7 64-bit, at least 4GB of ram, and a nicer gfx card you shouldn't have a problem in post.

a brand new computer (windows) between $800-$1200 is ideal for post work (quad-core, 4-8GB ram, lots of hdd space, and a nice gfx card).

edit: not including monitor

rahn
131 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 01, 2010 23:21 |  #5

I think an external mic is definitely a MUST for a narrative to allow the boom mic to get as close to the sound as possible (on that note, you'd need a boom pole too).
Also couldn't you get step up rings for one ND filter and save some cash?

the koval-kim portfolio (external link)
FOR SALE : Think Tank Airport Addicted 2.0 Backpack | Manfrotto 75mm Short Half Bowl (external link) | 77mm Fader ND

rahn
131 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 01, 2010 23:23 |  #6

close as possible to the sound *source.

Also! forgot cards! SD cards!

FOR SALE : Think Tank Airport Addicted 2.0 Backpack | Manfrotto 75mm Short Half Bowl (external link) | 77mm Fader ND

int2str
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 01, 2010 23:33 |  #7

If you use the Zoom H4N for sound, you can place it where it's needed.

IUnknown
738 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 02, 2010 12:19 |  #8

Fahad,
Check out,
http://www.cpmfilmtool​s.com/Carbon_Rod_Kit_s​/3.htm (external link)
some good low cost options. Where did you get the tip on the follow focus. I think that is the first thing I would buy for my rig. Is that really that best price/value option there is?

Fiske | Film (external link)
5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | LEICA 50MM SUMMICRON-R F2 | Canon 135L | Elmoscope anamorphic lens | 430EX II

Fahad79
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 02, 2010 14:48 |  #9

^^thanks for the link, i'll check it out. i liked the carbon cage kit, only $340!

Where did you get the tip on the follow focus. I think that is the first thing I would buy for my rig. Is that really that best price/value option there is?

honestly, i haven't personally tried it... but from what i can gather, it is a pretty good deal for the money. the other one i was looking at was the indifocus.... but i'm not sure if it's better or worse..

i hope this wasn't too confusing

cheers!

Fahad79
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 02, 2010 15:05 |  #10

rahn wrote in post #9917564 (external link)
close as possible to the sound *source.

Also! forgot cards! SD cards!

snap! you're right... silly me... i'll update the post...

also, someone on another forum suggested stepup rings, so only one fader ND filter would be needed, saving $200.

appreciate the feedback guys... stay tuned!

Fahad79
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 02, 2010 15:17 |  #11

int2str wrote in post #9917621 (external link)
If you use the Zoom H4N for sound, you can place it where it's needed.

very true... the creative freedom that'll give is nice for sure... but wouldn't it sacrifice the quality?

in any case.... i'll be updating the original post to reflect suggestions/amendments and also the excel spreadsheet

thanks for the feedback everyone, it's much appreciated

cheers.

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 02, 2010 15:27 |  #12

You may want to add a few hundred bucks for extra batteries, CF cards, and unexpected gear/accessories. I guess you aren't worried about lighting or grip gear.

How long is the shooting schedule? Instead of spending all that cash for lower end gear, you may be able to put at least some of into renting higher quality gear from lensrentals.com. Personally, I would be happy with two fast high quality prime lenses. On a full frame body those would be the Zeiss 35mm and 100mm f/2 macro. With those two lenses I could shoot just about anything with little light. You could rent both of them for a month for about $400. Not sure about lenses for crop cameras. Most of our movies shoot in 15 days or less, so a month is plenty of time to get what you need. Use the macro for some cool closeups for the opening titles and also use it as a portrait lens.

Another bonus about renting for 30 days is it forces you to finish the damn movie. If you own the gear you might be more lazy about getting the shots you need.

Our next movie starts up in two weeks. We are renting two Reds with the new Mysterium-X sensor for two weeks and a Phantom HD high speed camera for one day. No way we could afford to buy those cameras. But renting is easy.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

Fahad79
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 02, 2010 17:30 |  #13

Thanks for the input aroundlsu,
i included a miscellaneous cost to the list.

i totally agree about renting better equipment for a specific project... but the list serves as a wish list for an aspiring/hobbyist producer/filmmaker ... also, it's certainly not meant to be a one time buy list.

however, if working professionally and are commissioned for a production, then yes, renting is (might be) the way to go.

thanks again!

PS: i'd love to shoot a phantom HD, have you seen this (external link) ?

rahn
131 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 02, 2010 22:04 |  #14

Fahad79 wrote in post #9921947 (external link)
PS: i'd love to shoot a phantom HD, have you seen this (external link) ?

510fps!!!!!! UNREAL!
What is this phantom HD? Going to check it out now....

rahn
131 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 02, 2010 22:08 |  #15

I must have been living in a hole! This camera is ridiculous.

Now where am I gonna pick up that $117500?

sponsored links

1,995 views & 0 likes for this thread
let's talk brass tacks, how much for a movie?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.