Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 02 Apr 2010 (Friday) 05:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CS4 32bit on a 64bit Win7 install - Ram?

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 02, 2010 05:39 |  #1

Just built a new rig, 12gb ram, Win7 (Which I have to say is suprisingly good to use after being an aredent XP fan for 10 years).

I have both the 32 and 64 bit install of CS4 but some of the plugins will only work in 32bit.

My main reason of going to 64bit was so I could use more ram in photoshop.

Will the 32bit version of CS4 utilise this extra ram or is it limited as it would be running in a 32bit OS?

Thanks,
Gel

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
Lyndön
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 02, 2010 05:52 |  #2

The way I understand it is that only the 64 bit version can utilize the extra ram and benefits of a 64 bit OS, but I'm no expert. I'm running (32 bit) CS3 on Vista 64, and would like to upgrade to CS4 for just this reason, but I don't want to lose the use of my plugins either.

GEAR LIST

Gel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 02, 2010 07:06 |  #3

When you install the 32bit version on a 64 bit machine it actuall installs both.

It's annoying to have to close out an image and go back to 32bit in order to edit it further with a plugin that isn't working in 64bit.

Chris Giles Photography

juiceman72
65 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 02, 2010 16:40 as a reply to  @ Gel's post |  #4

These all relate to Windows 7, they may be different for previous versions:

A 32-bit process on a 32-bit operating system can use 2GB of memory.
A 32-bit process on a 64-bit operating system can use 2GB of memory.
A 32-bit process with the large address aware bit set on a 32-bit operating system with 4 gigabyte tuning enabled can use 3GB of memory.
A 32-bit process with the large address aware bit set on a 64-bit operating system can use 4GB of memory.
A 64-bit process on a 64-bit operating system can use 8TB of memory.

-J

Justin

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,344 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 03, 2010 00:24 |  #5

Gel wrote in post #9918727 (external link)
When you install the 32bit version on a 64 bit machine it actuall installs both.

It's annoying to have to close out an image and go back to 32bit in order to edit it further with a plugin that isn't working in 64bit.

I'm using CS3 on Windows 7 64bit and haven't noticed any odd behavior, but I don't use many plugins. My advice would be to go visit the creators of each of your plugins and find out if there are patches, updates or new versions. You could also Google each plugin with "64bit" added behind the plugin to see if there are people out there in your situation praising or complaining about said plugins.

Canon 7D & 60D With Grip's
Canon: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS, EF 70-200L F4 IS, EF 85mm F1.8
HOYA PRO1 MC UV Review | Lens Glossary of Terms
Feedback

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,016 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 03, 2010 05:56 |  #6

Gel wrote in post #9918727 (external link)

That is indeed true so you need to put pressure on the plugin vendor to write a 64bit version.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

mjmackinnon
808 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 03, 2010 13:36 as a reply to  @ Jonathan's post |  #7

From what I have gathered from my win7-64 system, is that if you run Photoshop4-32bit, you get 3.2gb of memory addressable. The benefit to you is that the OS is taking zero of that space. So you are getting quite a bit more memory than if you were running the 32bit app in a 32bit OS.

This was gotten from loading the program and then loading the largest image and checking to see what was addressed from TaskManager.

Matt.

My Flickr (external link) - Canon EOS 5Diii | EF 50f/1.4 | EF 24-105 f/4L IS| EF 100-400L IS | EF 70-200f/4L |430 EX II | Elinchrom BX500Ri
Post Production: i7-2600k, Win7, iMac 27 i7 | Adobe Photoshop CS6

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 03, 2010 13:38 |  #8

nice and handy thanks ...

juiceman72 wrote in post #9921727 (external link)
These all relate to Windows 7, they may be different for previous versions:

A 32-bit process on a 32-bit operating system can use 2GB of memory.
A 32-bit process on a 64-bit operating system can use 2GB of memory.
A 32-bit process with the large address aware bit set on a 32-bit operating system with 4 gigabyte tuning enabled can use 3GB of memory.
A 32-bit process with the large address aware bit set on a 64-bit operating system can use 4GB of memory.
A 64-bit process on a 64-bit operating system can use 8TB of memory.

-J

sponsored links

1,769 views & 0 likes for this thread
CS4 32bit on a 64bit Win7 install - Ram?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.