Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Apr 2010 (Friday) 15:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommend lighting gear !

Butch ­ Cassidy
462 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 02, 2010 15:27 |  #1

I have no lighting gear except my 580 EX speedlight. I want lighting that is portable, but also good for inside home studio. I have read the Strobist 101 (great info)
I am more confused now than before. If you had it to do all over again. What choices would you make now?

I know cost has a lot to do with it, BUT. Would you go with strobes, umbrellas,soft boxes, pocket wizard, which power supply,stands, I know there are packages,I try to buy as good of quality as I can afford at the time

I know( what is my budget?) Can I get set up with a decent setup for $1500.00 ? not counting the pocket wizards.

Thanks for any advice you can throw out.

Butch Cassidy " Might have to rob a train, for more gear money"
50D _ 85 f1.8 USM _ 16-35 f2.8 L IS USM _ 24-70 2.8 L USM _ 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM _ 300 f2.8 L IS USM _ 580 EX 11

Austin.Manny
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 02, 2010 18:38 |  #2

Check out Alien Bees.

For $1500, I'd go for some AB800s (or AB1600s if you wanna splurge), with the CyberCommander and CSRB+ to trigger them, a couple of softboxes with grids, some different size grids, a beauty dish, a Vagabond, and a PLM (if they ever get back in stock ;)).

450D Gripped | Σ 30 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 18-55 IS
LumoPro LP180 | Yongnuo YN-460 |
RF-602

Flickr (external link)

elader
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 02, 2010 19:18 |  #3

agreed. Although speedlights will do double duty as on camera strobes and on stands with umbrellas, you really don't get much power or flexibility from them. Maybe one AB800 as key, one strobist speedlight on a stand with an optical trigger as fill, an aiien bee trigger and receiver, a softbox/umbrella (can get a pair for $40)

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

Pennington
280 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 02, 2010 19:28 |  #4

elader wrote in post #9922369 (external link)
agreed. Although speedlights will do double duty as on camera strobes and on stands with umbrellas, you really don't get much power or flexibility from them. Maybe one AB800 as key, one strobist speedlight on a stand with an optical trigger as fill, an aiien bee trigger and receiver, a softbox/umbrella (can get a pair for $40)

I have to strongly disagree with this. Not much power or flexibility? Believe me, you learn to use Speedlites right and they are plenty powerful, and MORE flexible than big studio strobes. I've been using the Strobist method for years now, first with Nikon Speedlites and now with Canon's.

Either way, I've overpowered the sun with a single Speedlite + softbox, used three of them bounced to light a university gym, and everything in between. I think that starting out with inexpensive Speedlite-style flashes and some radio slaves that work with it in manual mode is a great way to learn. E-TTL isn't always great and really, I think it's better to learn to light manually and then later on depend on calculated ratios.

If you don't believe me about Speedlites vs. studio strobes, go get a copy of McNally's "The Hotshoe Diaries." It's a great, fun read, and the things that Joe does with Speedlites will convince you once and for all :)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

864 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommend lighting gear !
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.