Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 02 Apr 2010 (Friday) 16:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yolo Basin and Bypass, CA

kdvincent
929 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 02, 2010 16:24 |  #1

Anybody know anything about this area? It is near Sacramento, CA.
If you do, is it worth a visit?
Keith

Keith, Canon 7D, 5D, 5DMII, 30D,
bunch of glass, lights and modifiers

chubri777
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 02, 2010 21:19 |  #2

Keith, I go there several times a month. Alot of good photo ops but they are draining the ponds now also a good place for Great horned Owls and Swainsons Hawks

Regards,
Chuck

kdvincent
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 13, 2010 13:52 as a reply to  @ chubri777's post |  #3

Chuck,
I am going to count on you for a moment (or longer) as the local expect for the Sacrament area. I just came through two days ago in the driving rain. We stopped in a couple of areas to look for a bird or two. All were hiding from the cold weather.
My question is this:
I can return in July, is it too late and too hot for the areas north of Sacrament to have any birds in them? Has everything moved on or gone to higher ground?
I am thinking about the Delevan to Colusa and south to Sacramento.
There seems to be a great amount of space given over to the wildlife areas.
Thanks,
Keith
dvincent@aol.com (external link)

chubri777
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 28, 2010 15:45 |  #4

Keith I'm sorry I just now found this. If it's not too late and it'll still help you I avoid the valley in July and August and head up to the mountains or to the coast if I can...but there are still alot of birds in the valley but you only have really small windows of activity early and late. Areas with water and riparian areas would be best. Colusa has nice areas along the river...I haven't been to Delevan in years and really don't remember it too much. Southbound shorebird migration should be going on and there are areas at Yolo bypass wildlife areas that they flood specifically for migrating shorebirds. There could be some photo ops there as well.

Regards,
Chuck

kdvincent
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 28, 2010 16:43 |  #5

Chuck, I was in the area the second weekend of April and all I saw was rain going sideways. I will actuall go through the Susanville area in about 12 days. Cutting the corner from nothern AZ back to WA. Thought a trip past Reno and Susanville would be fun (once). After that I think I will have my fill of high desert and hot weather.
Thanks for the info. I will have to get to those migration areas at another time.
Keith

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

873 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yolo Basin and Bypass, CA
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.