Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 02 Apr 2010 (Friday) 20:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Proud :)

Jeffielove
54 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 02, 2010 20:49 |  #1

I took this shot and a couple others this afternoon when I went to my school to print the picture I took a few weeks ago of my daughter... I ended up getting a print of it, but also wanted to see what you all thought :)

I, personally, am proud of it... I love the colors, the purity of the white, how the flowers take up the majority of the frame and how they are kind of shaped in the corner... Love it all around other than a few shadows that bug me a little...

What do you all think?

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4485111013_0df80022b0_b.jpg

Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 200

~Sarah~
Body: Canon 60D
Lenses: 18-55mm Kit Lens :: 50mm f/1.8 II :: 85mm f/1.8 ::
.:My Website (external link):. ~*~ .:My Facebook (external link):.

sponsored links
Jeffielove
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 03, 2010 00:24 |  #2

no thoughts at all? :(

~Sarah~

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 03, 2010 06:35 as a reply to  @ Jeffielove's post |  #3

Hmm, the shadows do seem to be a bit distracting... Also, the highlights apperar blown, you might want to pull those down.
The image has a lot of contrast, but it doesn't really "pop" either, the busy background doesn't help either - for this I'd probably use something like your 50mm 1.8, preferably wide open or close to it.
Probably has something to do with the time of day too, it's better to take pictures on overcast days or earlier/later in the day.

Here's an old flower shot that I think looks kinda ok. t'was round middle of the day, but I had tree cover overhead to diffuse the light.

IMAGE: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/208/c/4/Carousel_by_Kolor_Pikker.jpg

As for your picture, something like the following might look better, IMO:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i418.photobucke​t.com …63/ThisIsHey/eo​kxo56i.jpg (external link)

What I did was open the image, and convert it to LAB mode, select the L channel and use shadows/highlights adjustment, with low amounts but large tonal width & radius.

Then I made a curves layer, and adjusted the L channel curve to reduce contrast, but kept the darks dark. also made a saturation boost in the A/B channels and turned the layer down to about 50%

Next I used a glamour glow filter to soften the image, but you can do the same thing manually by duplicating the layer, desaturating it, applying a gussian blur of about 10 pixels (for an image of this size; a bigger one would require more like 20+) and setting layer blend mode to Overlay and 20% or so opacity.

Finally, the image was a bit lighter at the top and darker on the bottom, so I filled a new layer with a gradient w/ black on top & white on bottom, put it into overlay and set to 10% opacity.

Have fun. ;)

Edit: you might want to try blurring the background a bit too.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 03, 2010 11:03 |  #4

Too much going on, especially with f/10 there's too much stuff (flowers) in focus!

angusporter.com (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 03, 2010 11:25 |  #5

dche5390 wrote in post #9925375 (external link)
Too much going on, especially with f/10 there's too much stuff (flowers) in focus!

Ditto, flowers often benefit from a thin DoF. If one wants to keep more flowers in focus just be aware of how the focus plane is intersecting them, or use a tilt/shift lens.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,158 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 03, 2010 12:10 |  #6

I like it just the way it is! Well done.

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 03, 2010 21:45 |  #7

dche5390 wrote in post #9925375 (external link)

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #9925454 (external link)
Ditto, flowers often benefit from a thin DoF. If one wants to keep more flowers in focus just be aware of how the focus plane is intersecting them, or use a tilt/shift lens.

I disagree with both of these comments. Shallower DOF on this photo would be more distracting because of how close in proximity these flowers are to each other. You'd have some flowers "almost" in focus and it would look like there was a focusing error. Small aperture was the right call because a "bank" of flowers like this should have them all in focus.

Shallow DOF can be good when you have a definitive subject you want to isolate, and there is no "single" or definitive subject in this photo. All the blossoms is the subject.

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 03, 2010 22:30 |  #8

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #9928164 (external link)
I disagree with both of these comments. Shallower DOF on this photo would be more distracting because of how close in proximity these flowers are to each other. You'd have some flowers "almost" in focus and it would look like there was a focusing error. Small aperture was the right call because a "bank" of flowers like this should have them all in focus.

Shallow DOF can be good when you have a definitive subject you want to isolate, and there is no "single" or definitive subject in this photo. All the blossoms is the subject.

You're welcome to disagree. It is all subjective.

Another take is that the composition is distracting. As the blossoms are the subject, then fill the frame with it instead of having a busy OOF background?

IDK.

I prefer Kolor-Pikker's retake on the original.

angusporter.com (external link)

Jeffielove
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 04, 2010 01:06 |  #9

In my amateur opinion and from what I've learned in the last few months...

I think the edit posted by the other member lost a lot of detail and left a lot of the white blown out..

Just my opinion ;)

I already had my print before posting this, just wanted other's opinions ;)

~Sarah~

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 04, 2010 09:42 |  #10

dche5390 wrote in post #9928362 (external link)
Another take is that the composition is distracting. As the blossoms are the subject, then fill the frame with it instead of having a busy OOF background?

To me the background is not distracting, in fact when I never noticed the background until you made reference to it. That's how non distracting it is to me. ;)

TheArtfulBurner
51 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 04, 2010 19:52 |  #11

It is a great picture and you should be proud of it. My only question is what problem do you have with the shadows? I've seen a few people on the board come up with statements to the effect that shadows are a "bad thing". Shadows are part of light and shade which are what we use to make pictures with.

Sussex photographer (external link)

F-Stran
403 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 04, 2010 20:21 |  #12

TheArtfulBurner wrote in post #9933016 (external link)
It is a great picture and you should be proud of it. My only question is what problem do you have with the shadows? I've seen a few people on the board come up with statements to the effect that shadows are a "bad thing". Shadows are part of light and shade which are what we use to make pictures with.

While that may be true about shadows when it comes to flowers and plant they can detract from the details of the flowers.

Jeffielove when you are taking pictures of flowers try not to take them at high noon because intense light can washout the colour of the flowers. It's always best to take photographs of flowers when it is overcast and especially when it has just finished raining when overcast, the colours are much more saturated then

5DMK IV | 60D | 40D | Tamron 70-200 G2 | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Tamron 17-50 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 55-250
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

StellaBean
276 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 04, 2010 21:08 |  #13

I happen to really like your original pic. Shadows and all!

~Jennifer~
5D|40D|17-50mm f/2.8|28-75mm f/2.8|[COLOR=Black]50mm f/1.4|70-200mm L f/4 IS|430EX

mattaura
202 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 05, 2010 09:37 |  #14

I would just sharpen it and take out some of the blue and add a bit of red. This is of course just my opinion. Slight color shifts can dramatically alter the mood of a photo.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …0NOT%20MY%20PHO​TOS/fl.jpg (external link)

400D | Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro 1:1 Lens | 70-200mm F4 L | 18-55mm Kit Lens
http://mattaura.devian​tart.com/ (external link)

TheArtfulBurner
51 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 05, 2010 22:03 |  #15

F-Stran wrote in post #9933164 (external link)
While that may be true about shadows when it comes to flowers and plant they can detract from the details of the flowers.

I agree that shadows can do this but I fail to see where they do in this particular picture. Please point out the horrors.

Sussex photographer (external link)

sponsored links

1,926 views & 0 likes for this thread
Proud :)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.