Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 15:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backcountry camping

DimensionZero
354 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 04, 2010 15:07 |  #1

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here goes backcountry camping with their SLR. I've done it 2 times before, but usually I put the camera in my messenger bag and sling it over the backpack. Not ideal, but I suppose it's worked for me.

Does anyone know of a better way to do this? Or maybe suggest a good backpack where I can pack my camping gear along with the camera?

I don't have a lot of camera gear as you can see in my sig. I'll bring the body, 10-20 and 28-75. (I also need a lighter tripod because bringing mine really sucks when you're hiking long distances. haha)

Thanks!

Ken
Canon 7D
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC | Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Manfrotto 3021BN w/486RC2
deviantArt (external link) | my Blog (external link)

sponsored links
seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title
5,472 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 04, 2010 18:09 |  #2

I have taken mine backpacking but it was a long time ago. My cameras/lenses now see a bit of airtime :) Just bought a new carbon Travel Angel tripod..maybe a tripod you might be interested in checking out. The camera/lenses ...well someone will chime in here with more on that.

Chris
Creative Tools / ZENFOLIO (external link)
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

jcothron
Goldmember
3,793 posts
Gallery: 398 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 04, 2010 19:27 |  #3

It depends on the length of time you're planning to spend, but F-Stop Gear has some great products. I have their Satori backpack and I'm very very pleased with it. If it's an extended stay my opinion is you're better off using your expedition pack and putting the camera gear inside it. You can buy F-Stops ICU (the unit that holds the gear) seperately so you could buy one and place it inside your pack if you wanted. They have multiple sizes of them.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 04, 2010 23:14 as a reply to  @ jcothron's post |  #4

Hi Dimension Zero

As John suggested F-Stop Gear has a few sizes in ICU's but the one you would want is not out until June... which would be the Small size.

You could use the small ICU with our bags or anyone other overnight size pack you choose.

Some times when I sleep in the mountains I take a cheap (usually around $35) tripod. They are sooo light and for the minimal amount of time I will actually use it, it does a pretty solid job for wide to mid wide lenses. I'll weight my pack to the base for stability if it is a long exposure.

If you have support related questions regarding F-Stop Gear, please email an@fstopgear.com (external link) or visit www.fstopgear.com (external link)

DimensionZero
THREAD ­ STARTER
354 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 05, 2010 17:14 |  #5

Thanks guys!!

I usually do an average of 5 nights stay, so like John said, I might still be better off with my own backpack and picking up a small ICU when they become available.

I was hoping for a single solution like the F-Stop Satori, but it doesn't look like it leaves much room for gear after the ICU is in?

That Benro Travel Angel looks pretty slick too!! Waaaayy better than the Manfrotto I have, haha!

Another option I was looking at for a tripod was one of those Trek-Tech TrekPods which would let me use it as a hiking stick as well.. Only drawback is that it's a totally different mounting system.. Just means something extra for me to lose... lol

Ken
Canon 7D
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC | Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Manfrotto 3021BN w/486RC2
deviantArt (external link) | my Blog (external link)

tupawk
59 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 06, 2010 09:38 |  #6

I've gone backpacking with my SLR a bunch. Usually I leave the camera out around my neck and if I am taking an additional lens I put it in a silnylon stuff sack and slip that in one my external side pocket on my pack to I can reach it if needed. If it is raining or whatever I will put my camera into either a large aloksak or put it into a silnylon stuff sack and then put that in my pack on top.

I also have a tiny travel tripod with a mini-ballhead that I can easily take with me if wanted/needed and it can stash just about anywhere in my pack.

Robert
Flickr (external link)
Gear List: 50D | Xsi | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200 f/4 IS | Canon 100-400L f/4-5.6 IS | 580 exII & Metz 58 af-1
http://flickr.com/robe​rtberkowitz (external link)

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 06, 2010 09:50 as a reply to  @ tupawk's post |  #7

I use an Osprey Aether 70 backpack and keep the camera in a small bag at the top of the pack under the lid. It's not easy access but we usually log enough miles in a day over rough terrain that I don't keep my camera out, it just gets in the way and I worry about something happening to it. With it being under the lid it's also protected from rain. If I need the camera and I don't want to take the pack off I just have someone else open my pack and get it for me.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

DANATTHEROCK
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 09, 2010 21:21 |  #8

Outdoor Research has some very nice, but light, dry bags. Offered in many sizes. Consider getting one that holds the camera with a lens on it. Also, pick up a few smaller ones for individual lenses. Then perhaps one large bag to hold everything, a second layer of waterproof protection. Pad with clothes and such. The Benro Travel Angel looks sweet. Spend lots of time in Alaska myself, remote float trips and such, and will likely pick up one of these. Also, I noticed that Manfrotto has some 2 lbs tripod legs out now. Saw them on B&H the other day for $200. Many ways to skin a cat of course. The dry bags I mentioned can be bought at www.campmor.com (external link)

Canon 5D Mark II & 50D with 17-40, 24-105, 100-400, 50 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8 macro, and 1.4TC

FEISOL CT-3442 (ARL) tripod w/ Photo Clam 40-NS ballhead:lol:

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 10, 2010 10:03 |  #9

I just leave the camera around my neck and put an extra lens in a drybag in my pack along with another drybag for the camera in case it rains. Last time I carried an 'el cheapo tripod strapped to my pack and that worked pretty well.

No special gear is really needed, just make sure you have dry bags and insulate your gear from shock with your clothes.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

SYS
Cream of the Crop
12,767 posts
Gallery: 423 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 10, 2010 10:19 |  #10

My personal preference is the "modular" combination of backpack and torso pack, i.e. they're designed to link together. When hiking and camping, I love having my torso pack in front of me for instantaneous drawing of my camera while keeping the camera safe and protected from dust and other elements. Here's the pictorial review of the modular system of Kata line of bags that I did some time ago. You can do individual bag or two or three bags all link in one modular "system":

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=610592

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

sponsored links

1,488 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backcountry camping
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.