Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Apr 2010 (Tuesday) 03:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thoughts on this Pelican case.

Depth
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 06, 2010 03:09 |  #1

After looking around at cases I'm thinking about getting this pelican case for college: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_1660_Case_with​_Foam.html (external link)

It would probably stay in my dorm room the majority of the time and be used to transport all my gear whenever I come home (going to be all the way across the country). Also my gear list is going to get a lot larger once HS is over, going to splurge on a whole bunch of new gear (lenses and such), so that's why I'm looking at such a large case.

Good idea to get this?

Also, should I just keep all my equipment in one case or divide the film and digital equipment between two cases?

Gear List
ACCD

sponsored links
ruben00
332 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 06, 2010 11:59 |  #2

It would be a great idea, except how do you plan to transport it? this thing empty is close to the 50lbs that the airlines are willing to accept. I saw this other peli over here (external link) that looks like it would hold all your equipment and is a little smaller then the one you listed above and it also looks like it would fit in the trunk of a regular car

i have my eyes on the 1514 because i dont have as much gear as you do so i wont need such a large case

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you!!
7D; 17-55mm f/2.8; 100-400L; 85mm f/1.8; 50mm f/1.8; 30mm f/1.4; 430ex II;
Flickr (external link)

Depth
THREAD ­ STARTER
986 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 06, 2010 13:00 |  #3

I totally didn't realize that. Guess that's what happens when I post late at night. Anyways, the link won't open on my iPhone but I'll look at smaller cases.

Gear List
ACCD

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 06, 2010 13:01 |  #4

I have a 1660 (Although it's empty as I bought it used for something like $40 with torn up foam) and I'm wondering how you could fit it anywhere in a dorm room. I'm in the same dilemma myself, when I go to university..

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

jcarp618
317 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 06, 2010 14:44 |  #5

Vascilli wrote in post #9943986 (external link)
I have a 1660 (Although it's empty as I bought it used for something like $40 with torn up foam) and I'm wondering how you could fit it anywhere in a dorm room. I'm in the same dilemma myself, when I go to university..

use it as a table ;)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 06, 2010 22:03 |  #6

The 1660 really isn't practical for carrying a lot of gear, just big gear. You really don't need something that deep for simple camera gear, as you won't be able to stack things and most of the volume will go unused.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

promocop
223 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 06, 2010 22:07 as a reply to  @ DDCSD's post |  #7

I just bought the #1210 (the one that fits in the carry on bin). It's great, just big enough to carry one 5d body, 5 lenses and other crap. I got the padded inserts and lid carr all. Check it out, i'm very happy

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 06, 2010 22:16 |  #8

promocop wrote in post #9947130 (external link)
I just bought the #1210 (the one that fits in the carry on bin). It's great, just big enough to carry one 5d body, 5 lenses and other crap. I got the padded inserts and lid carr all. Check it out, i'm very happy

Do you mean the 1510? I can't find a 1210?

Did you get the foam or the dividers?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

ruben00
332 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 07, 2010 13:34 |  #9

DDCSD wrote in post #9947194 (external link)
Do you mean the 1510? I can't find a 1210?

Did you get the foam or the dividers?

im pretty sure he meant the 1510 too (actually the 1514 if it comes with the pads like he mentioned)

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you!!
7D; 17-55mm f/2.8; 100-400L; 85mm f/1.8; 50mm f/1.8; 30mm f/1.4; 430ex II;
Flickr (external link)

promocop
223 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 10, 2010 17:21 as a reply to  @ ruben00's post |  #10

MY BAD 1510

promocop
223 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 10, 2010 17:22 as a reply to  @ promocop's post |  #11

DIVIDERS

sponsored links

1,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thoughts on this Pelican case.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.