Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Apr 2010 (Tuesday) 06:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #270 - Before and after

IVOlution
Goldmember
2,039 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 06, 2010 06:06 |  #1

Challenge #270 - Before and after

Hey guys! This week I would love to see some befores & afters. You may present it as you wish, you can make one photo showing the before & after or you can make a collage of two or more images to make your point. As long as the "before & after" is clear to me when I see it, all good. So be creative and be different...Most important , have fun... :)
Hello and great job everyone, thank you for participating and posting. I was worried a bit at the beginning that the challenge, maybe was a bit complicated to present. In one image "before & after" if you do not work with image retouching programs, is hard...I think though that it could be done with one photo as well. For example: rpolister's post in the Egging you on challenge is a great example(2nd image). Well balanced egg + egg on the flor....All in one photo...Girls could have played with nail polishers, nails on one hand painted red, the other hand not etc.
Not to bore you guys, well done all in all and if ever again i'll have a chance to choose a theme for a challenge, I promise it will be more simple to execute and present(Now I have a list). This was a bit surprise to me(me winning the Egg trophy) so I rushed to post a challange...

Winners:
3rd place: Kevan_G9 & ready to take of. Nicely presented work in one image...What bothered me a bit here, is the merging of 5 photos. It is obvious that the first and the last are more important, but I think if you have done it with three images it would be much better. This could be great for "process" challange... ;)

2nd place: Now this was really hard! Boutty. GREAT JOB! Excelente señor, as we say here in Spain, si si excelente! Perfect presentation, nice PP and the effect with the colors, the theme, the composition, the guy working, the froggies, the hand made...I was "uuuulalaaaa" when I saw the image. There is absolutely nothing that bothers my eye and great answer to my "before&after" question. But...

1st place: mrshobden Honestly guys, I think Linda(if I may call you Linda) did a very old and known trick, "give the kid peace of a cake and he will shut-up & be happy" hahaha...From all mentioned above, mrshobden's post got stuck in my head. Every time I thought about the challange, the cake was in my head...every time I just stoped by the challange to see again the posts, 1st and last to see was "my cake"! LoL...After Boutty posted and I went uuuulalaaaa, I scrolled back to check my cake!!! The photo itself could be better...the plates or whatever there is, is bothering my eye. Very simple image that shows how good is the G11. Sharp and crispy(and tasty) post...It is almost like the results that you get after tiping "cake" in the getty images search engine...

So that's it. I hope I judged this good, had a hard time becouse "from here to here" is the correct one...but if I had to put a "face" to this challange, mrshobden's cake would be it.

Bob and Maureen, I feel so guilty! You guys went through so much for my challenge, Bob has built a new porch and Maureen has painted her room. Lol...btw where is dog in the after image?
Jim, I was bit worried that I did not explain myself properly after your 1st post...the second could be much better presented. I can not see the difference...it looks stormy on both of them. The rainbow is very poor and not dominant enough to mark the differance...
Marie, I like BW and it is a "dynamic" image...good post.
rpolitsr, the kid looks very happy with the results! LoL...nice one, wasn't shure if they are twins or "clones" hahaha...

This was soooo exciting for me,
tnx for reading and see ya all next week...
Ivo

Post until Monday noon GMT, 12 April 2010.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11) or Pro 1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 800 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

my.com (external link) - my Flick (external link)r - my FB (external link)
---------------

Show me what you do at night! --- Got water? post here!

sponsored links
marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Apr 06, 2010 18:04 |  #2

on the river ..rocks

Pro1

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/123366645/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 07, 2010 21:52 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #3

Ready for take off...

G9:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4506528204_180e30c916_o.jpg

kevan's lens (external link)

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,291 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 08, 2010 18:55 as a reply to  @ Kevan's post |  #4

Before the Storm -- After the Storm

G10

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,528 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2010 01:52 as a reply to  @ post 9962696 |  #5

Solarium Transformation

G2

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

mrshobden
464 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 10, 2010 08:36 |  #6

Cake and Eat it!

G11

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2697/4507285033_372d0986af_o.jpg

Linda

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 11, 2010 08:06 as a reply to  @ mrshobden's post |  #7

From here to there

G6_

HOSTED PHOTO

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,924 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 11, 2010 14:32 as a reply to  @ Boutty's post |  #8

Re-Organizing My Office...Fresh Paint, Too.

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

rpolitsr
5,937 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 11, 2010 23:32 |  #9

makeup pics: too soon / too late

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit_9/pictures/potnentries/270_beforeafter_196_208.jpg

powershot Pro1

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

IVOlution
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,039 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 12, 2010 18:21 |  #10

I will announce the winner asp! (I had a loooooooong day and it is too late here)
thank you all for posting!

---------------

IVOlution
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,039 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 13, 2010 07:35 |  #11

Winner announced, congrats to everyone!!!
:)

---------------

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Apr 13, 2010 08:59 as a reply to  @ IVOlution's post |  #12

:)

Congratulations to the winner Linda (Mrshobden)
lovely yummy cake picture (s)
lol
:cool:
congratulations to #2 Boutty and #3 Kevan
wonderful shots from all

many thanks for hosting and judging and for comments IVOlution
great job. and having a slice of that yummy cake would have been nice
:cool:
lol

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,291 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 13, 2010 09:09 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #13

Congratulations to the winners! Great photos and great contest concept for this round. :)

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

mrshobden
464 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 13, 2010 09:42 |  #14

Wow...what can I say, thank you very much! I left the plate mats on the table as they coordinated colourwise with the cake!!! Adam thought it was a bit distracting with them in too but I wanted to "frame" the picture!!! It was a real birthday cake for my daughter's 16th birthday that I was about to cut when I remembered the competition and halted proceedings to take a photo, much to the annoyance of my young sons!!! The bit cut out was soon
devoured by them and I had to take the 2nd shot quickly before it had disappeared completely!!!

Congrats to Kevan and Boutty....really clever photos, I'm in awe of you both!

Must say I really loved Marie & rpolitsr's photos ....

Well, I'll put my thinking cap on for the next challenge and I'll post later.

Linda

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 13, 2010 10:47 |  #15

So it’s come to this, has it? No fair, Linda, that’s playing dirty! Bringing a dessert to a challenge…isn’t there a rule about such things as this? Anyway, being the sucker I am for chocolate I’d have given you the nod too. Nicely done. (I’ll IM you my mailing address later, for a slice.)

Boutty, loved what you did with your photo. You are truly a wizard with the pp work. I’d enjoy knowing your method of tinting in your photo.

IVO, thanks for coming up with the topic and performing your judging duties. Never thought I’d ever make such a photo as I did, but starting from a blank slate, as we say in these parts, a piece of blank paper came to mind and what one could do with it simply followed. Per the number of layers, I had to hold back as it was. Typically, the first fold in such an airplane is a lengthwise fold down the center of the page, but I thought its image didn’t offer much in terms of interest so kept it out. And that was just the first fold, and so…on it went. When I started this project, I first made an airplane and carefully studied my progress. I noticed that the paper never stayed in one place on the table surface, constantly moving and flipping with each fold made. So it was my intention to impart some sense of the airplane’s progression and the stages in its build. Bringing the pieces together, I tried not to over think each layer’s placement, but tried to mimic what my first folding involved. You can see as the plane gets closer to completion the paper gets drawn closer, or here, towards the bottom of the shot with each fold. Only until I was finished did I just flop the finished plane wherever.

As has become my custom, then I posted the photo and wore it for a while. Thank you everyone for indulging me, letting me come back and tweak the photo as I got to know it better. I had a dickens of a time getting the paper’s white color the way I wanted it and ultimately converted them all to B&W. The tabletop too needed some pop. Ultimately, looking at the scramble of page layers, I thought the sum of the whole was greater than its parts. As I guess is apparent, I am really pleased with the effort and without this challenge topic it likely never would have been made. Thanks for that IVO.

kevan's lens (external link)

sponsored links

8,854 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #270 - Before and after
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.