Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Apr 2010 (Friday) 07:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I Found a bug using PW Flex/Mini shooting at HSS...

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 09, 2010 07:40 |  #1

so last night I needed to setup my softbox attached w/ the PocketWizard FlexTT5, the AC5 Shield and of course a 580EX II flash. after removing a piece of screw, i got it to fit inside the softbox.

Since the wife and kid were asleep, decided to play around w/ the flash. then I ran into a problem.

PW miniTT1 on camera (5D2)
PW FlexTT5, AC5 Shield and 580EX II

manual 1/8000 f22 ISO 100, flash in ETTL mode, Flex/Mini set for HSS AUTO and Rear begins at 1/100 : Flash pop. no problem. it worked. then 5 seconds later, the flash pop again. at first I thought I press the shutter on the camera. but i didnt. try again. the same. I went as far as 1/320 f22 - same. then to f18 - same. then to f16 - i think it stopped. I also removed the Ac5 Shield and still getting the problem

Txt my bubby and asked him to see if this happening to him. It was late, so i dunno what he came up w/. I think he had the same problem too. He was gonna test it w/ his 5D as well... but it was late, i went to sleep so no idea what happen. he's on the road now to work.... I didnt test it on the 40D since that camera was in the bedroom where the family was sleeping!

those that has the PW Flex/Mini. can you test this out??

john

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 09, 2010 07:58 |  #2

What firmware version are you running on your FlexTT5 units?

...Leo

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 09, 2010 08:01 |  #3

PacAce wrote in post #9962615 (external link)
What firmware version are you running on your FlexTT5 units?

the beta, 5.0.8.. the one that let me do 2nd curtain.

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

eggrollboy
88 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 09, 2010 11:32 |  #4

Same thing happened to me!

Here's my setup:
Canon 5D MKII [firmware 2.0.4]
Canon 580EX II
FlexTT5 [Beta firmware 5.008]
MiniTT1 [Beta firmware 5.008]
AC5 Soft Shield & AC7 RF Shield

Turned on flash first, then FlexTT5, then the MiniTT5 on top of my camera then finally camera.

Set shutter to at least 1/800 or higher

Set aperture starting at f/18 or smaller (I went up to f/22)

Then press the shutter. You'll get a flash but....wait for it....wait for it....

A second flash! I checked and my Rear Curtain Sync begins at 1/100.

It's a weird phenomenon confirmed by a friend doing the same thing. It only happens at 1/800 shutter or higher plus at f/18.

- Bill - William Eng Photography (external link) | My Flickr (external link)
(1) Canon EOS 5D MK III, EF 50mm F/1.2L, EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro IS, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L II, Four (4) 600EX RT

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 09, 2010 11:42 |  #5

I'll see if I can duplicate it, too, when I get home. Have you tried to see if the same happens with PW firmware 5.000?

...Leo

eggrollboy
88 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 09, 2010 12:04 |  #6

PacAce wrote in post #9963888 (external link)
I'll see if I can duplicate it, too, when I get home. Have you tried to see if the same happens with PW firmware 5.000?

Not yet but I'll try it on my Canon 5D tonight...I'm just hoping it's only the new firmware for the 5DMKII that's causing this.

Already emailed PW about this.

Update: It's confirmed this is likely to be caused when the 5DMKII was updated to the latest firmware. Installed previous 5DMKII firmware and it worked fine.

(1) Canon EOS 5D MK III, EF 50mm F/1.2L, EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro IS, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L II, Four (4) 600EX RT

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 09, 2010 12:59 |  #7

Looks like the bugs is coming from the latest Firmware on the 5D Mk II

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

jjmucker
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 10, 2010 04:24 |  #8

i didnt know you could go back on a firmware with the 5D2.
I may try that just to be sure its the firmware thats causing it. If it is then im sure PW can come out with another FW update for the PW - Soon * Hint Hint *

5D3 x 2,5DII,30D,15,24,50,85​,100,24-70,70-200.

Glasgow Wedding - Portrait Photographer (external link)

jjmucker
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 10, 2010 12:09 |  #9

Where can i get the older firmware for the canon 5D2 to try it out as i have another problem id like to check to see if its the newer canon firmware thats causing it.
I guess it doesnt do any damage to the camera downgrading firmware versions to test?

5D3 x 2,5DII,30D,15,24,50,85​,100,24-70,70-200.

Glasgow Wedding - Portrait Photographer (external link)

eggrollboy
88 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 15, 2010 13:58 |  #10

Hey guys, I wouldn't recommend using those settings that johnlo had described. After going with a fast shutter and a very small aperture, I started problems with my 580EX II.

I have it on top of my 5D Mark II with no PocketWizards attached. All I'm getting is a preflash. Settings are ETTL. The Master Unit's flash is NOT disabled. Everything was reset to default including Custom Functions. etc. Tries different bodies...5D Mark I, Rebel XT, etc.

In Manual mode, it's giving out full power even if I am at 1/64, ISO 50, f/4.5 and 1/200" shutter in a DIMLY lit room. I am getting extreme overexposure.

I just sent it out for delivery to the Canon Factory Repairs. Guess we'll see what happened to my flash once it gets back.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Apr 15, 2010 14:10 |  #11

eggrollboy wrote in post #10001298 (external link)
Hey guys, I wouldn't recommend using those settings that johnlo had described. After going with a fast shutter and a very small aperture, I started problems with my 580EX II.

I have it on top of my 5D Mark II with no PocketWizards attached. All I'm getting is a preflash. Settings are ETTL. The Master Unit's flash is NOT disabled. Everything was reset to default including Custom Functions. etc. Tries different bodies...5D Mark I, Rebel XT, etc.

In Manual mode, it's giving out full power even if I am at 1/64, ISO 50, f/4.5 and 1/200" shutter in a DIMLY lit room. I am getting extreme overexposure.

I just sent it out for delivery to the Canon Factory Repairs. Guess we'll see what happened to my flash once it gets back.

So, are you implying that those settings is what caused the problem with your flash? Or is it just coincidence?

...Leo

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 15, 2010 14:19 |  #12

Leo - i'm gonna test out my flash when i get home tonight. Will advise what happen w/ my flash.

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

eggrollboy
88 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 15, 2010 15:11 |  #13

PacAce wrote in post #10001375 (external link)
So, are you implying that those settings is what caused the problem with your flash? Or is it just coincidence?

I think it might be a coincidence.

I tried everything from cleaning the hotshoes to resetting everything. Fresh batteries were used as well as several bodies. It's just that particular 580EXII that I used with those high shutter/smallest aperture settings. My 580EX is fine. ETTL worked on that. I think I'm going blind with all this flashing!

I'll know what happened to my 580EXII by next week once it comes back from repairs.

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 15, 2010 15:47 |  #14

well i just test it, and flash appears to be in working order. ETLL works and manual works as well.... sorry to hear what happen to your flash eggrollboy. to make you happy, im ordering chinese tonight. HAHAHA! :-D

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

eggrollboy
88 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 15, 2010 20:05 |  #15

Perhaps I'm one of the few with isolated incidents. We'll see what Canon Repair says....

sponsored links

2,428 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I Found a bug using PW Flex/Mini shooting at HSS...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.