Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 11 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 15:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some B&W portraits

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 11, 2010 15:04 |  #1

Nothing special just a few shots of a girl on a bike.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i18.photobucket​.com …30/malla1962/IM​G_0512.jpg (external link)

http://i18.photobucket​.com …30/malla1962/IM​G_0519.jpg (external link)

http://i18.photobucket​.com …30/malla1962/IM​G_0524.jpg (external link)

http://i18.photobucket​.com …30/malla1962/IM​G_0528.jpg (external link)

Gear List

sponsored links
promocop
223 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 11, 2010 15:07 |  #2

Very nicely done. In camera or in post?

greallyphotos
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2010 15:32 as a reply to  @ promocop's post |  #3

Really like the first and last ones :D

Two and three - the reflection in her glasses are a bit distracting

Well done ;)

malla1962
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 11, 2010 15:46 |  #4

promocop wrote in post #9974789 (external link)
Very nicely done. In camera or in post?

No I converted them in post.

Gear List

promocop
223 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 11, 2010 16:41 as a reply to  @ malla1962's post |  #5

Any differnce if one shoots in B&W or converts?

malla1962
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 11, 2010 16:53 |  #6

promocop wrote in post #9975219 (external link)

Not sure mate, never shoot in B&W so I get the option to do colour and B&W.

Gear List

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 11, 2010 16:56 |  #7

There is no benefit to be gained by shooting BW in the camera. In fact there are lots of reasons not to. The biggest reason is that to shoot bw in camera means you are shooting .jpg instead of raw. Raw allows you a lot more latitude in exposure in case you miss, as well as other benefits. When you convert in photoshop you can use the color channels to better control the gray scale, much more so than a simple desaturation. On this shot for instance if you wanted a darker sky you could control the blue channel making it darker and more dramatic. cs3 and newer are very good at this.

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 11, 2010 17:13 |  #8

It depends on what kind of camera you use. There is no across-the-board standard as in-camera processing varies from model to model just as any other form of processing.

gonzogolf wrote in post #9975282 (external link)
There is no benefit to be gained by shooting BW in the camera. In fact there are lots of reasons not to. The biggest reason is that to shoot bw in camera means you are shooting .jpg instead of raw. Raw allows you a lot more latitude in exposure in case you miss, as well as other benefits. When you convert in photoshop you can use the color channels to better control the gray scale, much more so than a simple desaturation. On this shot for instance if you wanted a darker sky you could control the blue channel making it darker and more dramatic. cs3 and newer are very good at this.

This is not true across-the-board; I use an Epson R-D1s for when I feel like getting nostalgic and want to shoot with a rangefinder but keep within the digital workflow. One truly interesting thing about the way this camera does in-camera B&W is that it retains it records the key of the frame in color as well -- all in the same RAW file. Additionally, the way the R-D1s does in-camera B&W is incredibly true to film even in a digital format; all the way to the lumi-grain representing film grain over digital noise.

The last part is subjective to the user, but the first thing I pointed out simply proves their is no across-the-board truth to the first thing you said.

greallyphotos wrote in post #9974915 (external link)
Really like the first and last ones :D

Two and three - the reflection in her glasses are a bit distracting

Well done ;)

I concur, I can clearly see the reflectors even at this resolution. Damn those aviators!

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

malla1962
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 11, 2010 17:16 |  #9

Luminodio wrote in post #9975366 (external link)
It depends on what kind of camera you use. There is no across-the-board standard as in-camera processing varies from model to model just as any other form of processing.

This not true across-the-board; I use an Epson R-D1s for when I feel like getting nostalgic and want to shoot with a rangefinder but keep within the digital workflow. One truly interesting thing about the way this camera does in-camera B&W is that it retains it records the key of the frame in color as well -- all in the same RAW file. Additionally, the way the R-D1s does in-camera B&W is incredibly true to film even in a digital format; all the way to the lumi-grain representing film grain over digital noise.

The last part is subjective to the user, but the first thing I pointed out simply proves their is no across-the-board truth to the first thing you said.

I concur, I can clearly see the reflectors even at this resolution. Damn those aviators!

I agree, the reflections are bad it it was the only way she could keep her eyes open lol.

Gear List

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 11, 2010 17:20 |  #10

malla1962 wrote in post #9975384 (external link)
I agree, the reflections are bad it it was the only way she could keep her eyes open lol.

Believe me, I understand. Hahaha.

Being a little cynical in critique here but it appears the focus is set on the bike in the first shot. Was this intentional or was the model just out off the focal plane? Her body looks to be in focus at some points, but their is a noticeable softness to the head and the hair doesn't appear as separated from the background as the rest of the suggest focal point. The composition is great, but I find myself liking the second and third shots above it despite the reflections as a result of this.

Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

malla1962
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 11, 2010 17:24 |  #11

Luminodio wrote in post #9975406 (external link)
Believe me, I understand. Hahaha.

Being a little cynical in critique here but it appears the focus is set on the bike in the first shot. Was this intentional or was the model just out off the focal plane? The composition is great, but I find myself liking the second and third shots above it despite the reflections as a result of this.

No I just looked at the original file and it is OOF but not intentional a mistake on my part, I have two more of the same shot but in focus, I need to start wearing my glasses lol.

Gear List

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 11, 2010 17:26 |  #12

malla1962 wrote in post #9975431 (external link)
No I just looked at the original file and it is OOF but not intentional a mistake on my part, I have two more of the same shot but in focus, I need to start wearing my glasses lol.

Good move on taking the 'insurance' shots for times like this when the very things that lead to our creativity fail us in the processing phase. :)

Funny how that works out huh?

FELINEDEBOURGES
591 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 11, 2010 18:52 |  #13

I dig the series, but the first one I bet she won't like as much since she looks much wider in the hips.

sarahashleyphotography​.com (external link)

promocop
223 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 11, 2010 19:08 as a reply to  @ FELINEDEBOURGES's post |  #14

Well now I'm really confused. I have A 5d and like shooting b&w. What to do? So in monochrome mode raw doesn't record even if I'm in. Jpeg+raw Mode?

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 11, 2010 20:00 |  #15

promocop wrote in post #9975943 (external link)
Well now I'm really confused. I have A 5d and like shooting b&w. What to do? So in monochrome mode raw doesn't record even if I'm in. Jpeg+raw Mode?

Do a test shot, upload and find out. I never shot monochrome on the 5D claissic when I had because I didn't even like shooting with the camera in the first place (yes, 5D hate) so I can't give you a definitive answer.

sponsored links

1,848 views & 0 likes for this thread
Some B&W portraits
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.