Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 17:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d mark ii vs 7d

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 12, 2010 22:09 |  #31

good replies so far. my question is how long before the next generation 5d comes out? or another FF option in that price range? naturally, something "bigger and better" is always lurking around the corner, but how close is that corner?

BAG Reviews, master list!
Canon shooter

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 12, 2010 22:13 |  #32

Dj R wrote in post #9983656 (external link)
good replies so far. my question is how long before the next generation 5d comes out? or another FF option in that price range? naturally, something "bigger and better" is always lurking around the corner, but how close is that corner?

The earliest we will see a 5D mark 3 is maybe a year. More likely a year and a half.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

NERV
47 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 13, 2010 10:17 |  #33

And once released you have to factor in the waiting time before you actually get one. Also, will the upgrades really be worth the wait. The 5d2 is an amazing camera, when the 5d3 is released, i doubt the 5d2 is gonna drop that much in price, probably low $2000.

Canon 5D Mark ii, Canon EF 50mm f1.2L

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 13, 2010 10:36 as a reply to  @ NERV's post |  #34

To answer the OP specifically, there are two reasons I chose the 7D. The main reason is I shoot a lot of action so the 7D seemed like a natural for that. Second was price, I couldn't afford a 5D MkII but even if I could I probably would have stuck with the 7D based on what I shoot.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2010 14:21 |  #35

Curious if anyone here upgraded to a 7d from a digi rebel, xti xt t1i t2i etc. I'm guessing the image quality from the 7d is not just better, but a LOT better. I was seriously considering getting a 5dii. But the 7d is so much less and people that have them, love em... I think it's worth a shot.

Canon shooter

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 14, 2010 14:28 |  #36

NERV wrote in post #9986178 (external link)
And once released you have to factor in the waiting time before you actually get one. Also, will the upgrades really be worth the wait. The 5d2 is an amazing camera, when the 5d3 is released, i doubt the 5d2 is gonna drop that much in price, probably low $2000.

You can already get the 5D2 for around $2200-$2300 (body only) brand new so I am pretty sure it should drop to below $2k when the 5D3 comes out)

Dj R wrote in post #9994779 (external link)
Curious if anyone here upgraded to a 7d from a digi rebel, xti xt t1i t2i etc. I'm guessing the image quality from the 7d is not just better, but a LOT better. I was seriously considering getting a 5dii. But the 7d is so much less and people that have them, love em... I think it's worth a shot.

IQ between cameras is not nearly as much of a factor as most folks make it sound like. I honestly wouldn't worry about this so much. The only real difference between bodies is iso performance.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 14, 2010 14:32 |  #37

I can't find the link to the comparison that I have seen before but the T2i comes very close to the 7D in terms of IQ. They use similar sensors so that is not suprising. It's up to your budget and needs to determine if all the extra features of the 7D are worth the extra money over the T2i.

edit: not the exact link I was looking for, but you can see some comparison shots between the two here http://www.the-digital-picture.com …al-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx (external link)

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,988 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Apr 14, 2010 14:49 |  #38

I jumped from the xsi to the 7D. You definitley have an IQ increase but not as much as you would think. I upgraded for the feature set (FPS, Build, HD video, wireless flash) more so than IQ. If i wanted the best IQ i would have gone 5DMKII in a heart beat. Not to say that IQ on the 7D is a slouch because it isnt but its not in the same class as the 5DII. I loved 12mp on the xsi and 18mp on the 7D is a bit much but it does give me more detail in the images.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2010 15:12 |  #39

vipergts831 wrote in post #9994965 (external link)
I jumped from the xsi to the 7D. You definitley have an IQ increase but not as much as you would think. I upgraded for the feature set (FPS, Build, HD video, wireless flash) more so than IQ. If i wanted the best IQ i would have gone 5DMKII in a heart beat. Not to say that IQ on the 7D is a slouch because it isnt but its not in the same class as the 5DII. I loved 12mp on the xsi and 18mp on the 7D is a bit much but it does give me more detail in the images.

Cheers. I have been reading EVERYWHERE that the IQ on the 5dii is amazing. It's just so pricey. So I after reading many great reviews on the 7d I started to consider that. I realize that either body will have more features than my rebel. But I feel that I'd rather benefit from MORE features and BETTER image quality, if I'm going to make the switch.

thanks for the replies, all... kudos.

Canon shooter

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 14, 2010 15:15 |  #40

Dj R wrote in post #9995124 (external link)
Cheers. I have been reading EVERYWHERE that the IQ on the 5dii is amazing. It's just so pricey. So I after reading many great reviews on the 7d I started to consider that. I realize that either body will have more features than my rebel. But I feel that I'd rather benefit from MORE features and BETTER image quality, if I'm going to make the switch.

thanks for the replies, all... kudos.

One thing to keep in mind: Cameras with tons of bells and whistles come and go quite often but a body that can simply flat out capture light well is an investment and something you'll hang on to for quite a while.

Witness the "5D Admirers" thread which is now on Version 4 !!!
(Also Note: Used 5D Sale Prices .. I'd say they've held up pretty well for an "Old" camera...)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2010 15:21 |  #41

I hear you.

I am stuck in the boat with the people who shoot all different genres. The folks who are wishing the 7d had the IQ of the 5dii. or the 5dii had the shutter speed of the 7d. I hate to label a camera and say "this body is great, but it's for 1 specific genre, but yea it can handle other genres too, but not as good as the xxxx".... but I'm starting to believe it's true. soooo many reviews are labeling these bodies as portrait vs sports. I'm not saying it's true, i'm just starting to sip too much of that juice!

Canon shooter

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 14, 2010 15:24 |  #42

Dj R wrote in post #9995177 (external link)
I hear you.

I am stuck in the boat with the people who shoot all different genres.

Well, once upon a time, every "sensor" was FF and was used for every genre so how did they do it "back in the day?"

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2010 15:28 |  #43

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #9995200 (external link)
Well, once upon a time, every "sensor" was FF and was used for every genre so how did they do it "back in the day?"

touche. I hear ya brother.

just got a PM from a guy on this board. found him b/c he was looking to sell his 7d. I asked him why he was selling. he wanted to upgrade to the 5dii. after a few months, this is his direct cut/pasted feedback...

i had a 7D for three months and i sold it to buy a 5D2. but i honestly miss my 7D and really enjoyed using it even more so than my 5D2. The 7D really is a great camera and even though the 5D2 has a small IQ advantage over the 7D.... the 7D is just a pleasure to use and an all around better camera IMO.

no I'm not basing my decision on 1 man's opinion. and yes I really do want to go ff.
I will be going to lunch tomorrow with a 5dii owner. so I'll play around with it and report back.

Canon shooter

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 14, 2010 15:32 |  #44

One other thing to consider: 21Mp offers a heck of an ability to crop and still get a very useable image.

50% lopped off still leaves a file as big as what you get uncropped from a 1DMkIII.

(You do have to give it up to the 7D for AF speed and flexiblity however.)

Jay

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 14, 2010 15:38 |  #45

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #9976362 (external link)
Why is FF something people feel they have to be "ready for?"

it's more likely their bank account which needs readying.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

sponsored links

17,916 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d mark ii vs 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.